Loudness....

DKV and VDD, etc

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Loudness....

Postby 3drahthaars » Fri May 20, 2016 8:01 am

Just thinking...

... for experienced and novice handlers, what do you understand constitutes a "loudness" note for a dog? Specifically, the loudness required to enter the VSwP tests, re: Formblatts 23a and 23b.

• pup actually has to be on a TRACK (Spur)
  • pup just has to "bark" at an animal (could be an animal in a cage)

For example: my pup was certified loud on an actual rabbit track at her VJP.

I am curious at interpretations / opinions of something that I understand is supposed to separate the true versatile dogs from the "riff raff" hunting breeds that wish to enter the specialty blood-tracking tests.

3ds
3drahthaars
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Re: Loudness....

Postby Misskiwi67 » Sat May 21, 2016 10:55 am

My pup was marked spurlaut and siglaut at her VJP.

Vegas barks at coon, but is otherwise silent on track and during all other hunting situations. I don't think she would meet the criteria.
Vivian II vom Jagdkonig- VJP 71 HZP 191 VGP 262 Prize III
Arabella vom Hoheren Boden- VJP 74 HZP 181/189 VGP 281 Prize I
Misskiwi67
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby 3drahthaars » Sat May 21, 2016 11:35 am

Misskiwi67 wrote:My pup was marked spurlaut and siglaut at her VJP.

Vegas barks at coon, but is otherwise silent on track and during all other hunting situations. I don't think she would meet the criteria.

Explain... how your dog doesn't meet the criteria of loud on track.

3ds
3drahthaars
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby boarhunter » Sat May 21, 2016 12:26 pm

Hi Bob,

just adding some info: if you look at Formblatt 1 there is a thing called "Verbandsstöberprüfung", and the regulations for that "VStPO" at the JGHV-page "Prüfungsordnungen" is the only one that is only given in German (all others have also English versions). From my limited knowledge (websurfing, asking people form the GNA contingent at the Hegewald) a VStPO was not performed in NA so far.

Not going into the details: a VStPO is performed under actual hunting conditions. (By the way, In never found a good English translation for "stöbern"). During this, aside from spl and sil (trivial, as in VJP, HZP, and VGP), the predicate "fährtenlaut -ftl" can be given. This applies only to Schalenwild - hoofed game. Dogs can be spl or ftl or both, like mine. An ftl dog is of immense value for example if you're hunting boar. Splitting the pack, separating the weakest animal, driving this through a chain of hunters in a forest area requires a ftl dog. A VStPO is a beautiful test for examining dog's abilites for hunting big game. It is said that Wachtelhunds are the best for that, but DDs, DKs, DLs, etc. also do.

Among German hunters, there is another expression: "Standlaut". Not tested for, does not appear in regulations. It is, however, an important trait if you're hunting big game. It means that the dog can fix the exhausted or wounded animal (which may be much too big to be retrieved, or too dangerous to be attacked) by circiing and given permanent tongue. This is of course, not the typical yif yif as on hare track, but rather a deep bark. Similar, but at higher frequency as done during totverbellen "dead game baying". One may test (not officially) for standlaut using boar pens.

Cheers,

Boarhunter
boarhunter
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby Misskiwi67 » Sat May 21, 2016 1:13 pm

3drahthaars wrote:
Misskiwi67 wrote:My pup was marked spurlaut and siglaut at her VJP.

Explain... how your dog doesn't meet the criteria of loud on track.

3ds

She has NEVER barked, and she's got 30+ coon under her belt, except when face to face with a fighting coon. Never on rabbits, not on her one fox. Baying is not tracking... But I'm also a novice
Vivian II vom Jagdkonig- VJP 71 HZP 191 VGP 262 Prize III
Arabella vom Hoheren Boden- VJP 74 HZP 181/189 VGP 281 Prize I
Misskiwi67
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby 3drahthaars » Sat May 21, 2016 7:44 pm

boarhunter wrote:Hi Bob,

just adding some info: if you look at Formblatt 1 there is a thing called "Verbandsstöberprüfung", and the regulations for that "VStPO" at the JGHV-page "Prüfungsordnungen" is the only one that is only given in German (all others have also English versions). From my limited knowledge (websurfing, asking people form the GNA contingent at the Hegewald) a VStPO was not performed in NA so far.

Not going into the details: a VStPO is performed under actual hunting conditions. (By the way, In never found a good English translation for "stöbern"). During this, aside from spl and sil (trivial, as in VJP, HZP, and VGP), the predicate "fährtenlaut -ftl" can be given. This applies only to Schalenwild - hoofed game. Dogs can be spl or ftl or both, like mine. An ftl dog is of immense value for example if you're hunting boar. Splitting the pack, separating the weakest animal, driving this through a chain of hunters in a forest area requires a ftl dog. A VStPO is a beautiful test for examining dog's abilites for hunting big game. It is said that Wachtelhunds are the best for that, but DDs, DKs, DLs, etc. also do.

Among German hunters, there is another expression: "Standlaut". Not tested for, does not appear in regulations. It is, however, an important trait if you're hunting big game. It means that the dog can fix the exhausted or wounded animal (which may be much too big to be retrieved, or too dangerous to be attacked) by circiing and given permanent tongue. This is of course, not the typical yif yif as on hare track, but rather a deep bark. Similar, but at higher frequency as done during totverbellen "dead game baying". One may test (not officially) for standlaut using boar pens.

Cheers,

Boarhunter

Wilhelm,

Always a pleasure to exchange with you.

Just curious as to what the difference is between sichlaut and ftl. Is Fährtenlaut loud on a hoofed track (analogous to Fährtenshue)? Or, is it sight loud on hoofed game?

The hunting awards are not so popular over here. To my knowledge only one Vbr was performed here, and that was about 20 years ago. It took a lot of planning.

You take care,

Bob
3drahthaars
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Return to German and European Testing Systems