Dog training ponds

DKV and VDD, etc

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Dog training ponds

Postby woodboro » Thu May 05, 2016 9:40 am

I am wondering how many of you water train your dogs on ponds, and if those ponds are private or if they are promoted by county , state or federal sponsored ?

Typically I use private as well as public ponds that are on county land.

Some counties have water sheds that are public , but are promoted as 'dog training grounds'
I have been to a couple of those pond (water sheds) and it seems like a lot of guys take advantage of those available options for training.

Shed some light on how you train on water......
woodboro
Master Poster
Master Poster

Re: Dog training ponds

Postby Misskiwi67 » Thu May 05, 2016 10:56 am

When training the duck search I use private ponds only unless I'm training with a group. When training blinds I use a combination of public and private grounds.
Vivian II vom Jagdkonig- VJP 71 HZP 191 VGP 262 Prize III
Arabella vom Hoheren Boden- VJP 74 HZP 181/189 VGP 281 Prize I
Misskiwi67
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby carramrod » Thu May 05, 2016 12:01 pm

Whatever I can find. Unfortunately on the KS side there isn't a lot of public ponds to use, especially not close to me.
carramrod
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby 3drahthaars » Thu May 05, 2016 7:41 pm

If you're a "gamer" train like you test... test like you train. You try to find water with cover that satisfies the VZPO.

If you're a hunter, you can get by with training on your hunting grounds.

We held a test in NC and several handlers commented that the swamp and snags in our duck search area were nothing like they trained... my answer was that it was where we hunted woodducks, and 85% of the ducks shot in NC were woodducks...

A good dog will follow the track regardless of the cover.

3ds
3drahthaars
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Fri May 06, 2016 7:32 am

I use both private and public waters. Private is nice when you want to leave a boat, decoys and blind up for training.

A word of caution to using public waters where people fish is the trash, discarded lines, and lost lures that too often accompany them.

I was working my GWP at the time on a 50 acre public impoundment which had a lot of flooded hedge trees in it. I was throwing the dummies out into the flooded timber so the dog could work thru them simulating hunting flooded timber for ducks. He was returning with a retrieve when he pulled up and turned in a circle. I watched him turn again and head back towards me only to pull up and turn in another circle. The horror that he was hung up on something sank in and I dropped my training vest, transmitter and boots and headed into the water swimming towards him. That dog had excellent mental stability and he continued to swim camly in a small circle as I approached him. I treaded water while feeling around and located an illegal limb line (limb lines/trot lines are not allowed on that lake but someone did not follow the rules) of thick nylon cord. No way I could have ever broken it and I did not have a knife on me at the time. Felt my way up the cord to find it wrapped around his hind leg and a large strong catfish hook stuck into the inside of his hock. It was our lucky day that the hook was not embedded past the barb and I was able to pull it out, unwrap the line, and we both swam to shore.

From that day forward I have a Buck Tool on my belt always. Never without it. Among other things it has a blade and wire cutters on it. And I also look for the ponds and lakes that require a bit of a hike to locate and reach to reduce the odds of something like this happening again. Poachers are fortunately mostly lazy.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby woodboro » Fri May 06, 2016 8:33 am

AVERAGEGUY -
Good grief - that is horrible. Thanks for sharing this and hopefully people will not train where people fish !!
I have trained on lakes , but typically its more less relieving stress from the dog and throwing bumpers.
Are any of your area public waters , designed as 'Dog training waters' from county , state or federal waters ??

3Drahthaars -
I Appreciate your story about 'how to train' but you did not answer the OP question.
Are any of your area public waters , designed as 'Dog training waters' from county , state or federal waters ??
Or are you basically using private waters ? ..

As the OP - I am interested in comments about what people use, and possibly how they use the water and if there is other people using the
same water in regards to dog training.
In my state we have public water as well as private , but some of the water that is public is defined as 'Dog training water'
That water is available for retriever trials as well as Versatile dog tests.
woodboro
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Fri May 06, 2016 9:50 am

Very little dog only waters in my State. A local retriever club has a large shallow pond with narrows and points on one of the State conservation areas but that is the only one I am aware of and it is 2.5 hours south of where I live now and has very little cover in the pond so nothing really compelling to make the long drive. Closest thing to dog only water would be some of the naturally flooded marshes and wetlands on some of State Conservation areas. The only fishing there would be very occasional to in most cases never happens, bow fishing for carp. Most of the State WMAs have remote ponds which seldom see anyone. I locate them on maps and google earth, and design a combo upland and water work route that lets me work the dog thru upland cover and hit some ponds for water retrieves and necessary cooling off on our rounds. Doing that now each evening with my puppy. There was one evening when I saw some mushroom hunters and there has been an occasional person fishing the ponds closest to the gravel parking lots but I have yet to see a soul more than 100 yards from a parking lot.

I have a friend who is a member in a private duck club which as some nice marsh cover when there is a adequate rain. I have done some training there as well with each of my dogs. Plant dead ducks, goose wings and or dead pigeons at each willow clump and blind mound and teach duck search. There is also a similar type facility on public land that I do the same. The private is nice because I can drive all my stuff right to the edge vs having to carry it all to the public location.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby 3drahthaars » Fri May 06, 2016 10:38 am

woodboro wrote:AVERAGEGUY -
Good grief - that is horrible. Thanks for sharing this and hopefully people will not train where people fish !!
I have trained on lakes , but typically its more less relieving stress from the dog and throwing bumpers.

3Drahthaars -
I Appreciate your story about 'how to train' but you did not answer the OP question.
Or are you basically using private waters ? ..

As the OP - I am interested in comments about what people use, and possibly how they use the water and if there is other people using the
same water in regards to dog training.
In my state we have public water as well as private , but some of the water that is public is defined as 'Dog training water'
That water is available for retriever trials as well as Versatile dog tests.

woody,

I apologize for not following your OP and for my "story" of how to train as you label it... I didn't and still don't understand the question and moreover any significance to training.

Public, private, city or state... it's not the ownership of the water that counts.

However, it is how appropriate the water is (i.e. satisfy the VZPO) to provide the correct exposure and conditions for training. I'm sure with your extensive experience that you already understand that it takes '11' (water and duck) to score the '11' search and similarly with the '12'.

I'm not sure if a park pond with a sign: 'Dog training water' is of any value, if it has inappropriate cover and is not swimmable depth, amongst other things.

... after these past two threads, I'm pretty much done with trying to figure you out (i.e. the logic/pertinance of your questions and arrogant "tone" of your replies). You either know everything already or you have already made up your mind before the answers.

Good luck with your "training"...

Best regards,

3drahthaars

EDIT: and to your OP, I train on any suitable water available private, county, state, or federal. I hope that helps everyone.
3drahthaars
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby woodboro » Sat May 07, 2016 11:12 am

Average guy -

Looks like you got the logistics of this thread.
Sometimes its hard to find adequate water to dog train.
State , County or private dog clubs making "Dog Training " water available can be very beneficial and at times can only give so much because of the cover or lay of the water.
As you stated and in my feeble 30 years of dog training learning that various waters can do different things for training is a learning process in it's self.

'It sure isn't just throwing bumpers in a lake, and assuming a dog is huntable from the get.'

I am in the process of coordinating an effort in our county to make some county ponds accessible for "Dog Training"
fortunately our local fish and wildlife service is backing this effort, so that hunters will lose less cripples during the hunting season.
"Train more to Hunt better" seems to be a good foundation.
woodboro
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby woodboro » Sat May 07, 2016 11:22 am

3Drahthaars -

It's a shame , you are not willing to discuss the simplistic ideas about dog training in the threads I have created.
This chat room forum had little to no activity on a regular bases I thought I would open up some discussion threads.

Quite possibly its above you , and that is o.k. to have that thought process. (Or personality conflicts)
My assumption was to learn and educate to encourage people to train dogs with possible new ideas.
woodboro
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby woodboro » Sat May 07, 2016 11:26 am

Postby Misskiwi67 » Thu May 05, 2016 9:56 am

When training the duck search I use private ponds only unless I'm training with a group. When training blinds I use a combination of public and private grounds.
Vivian II vom Jagdkonig- VJP 71 HZP 191
Arabella vom Hoheren Boden- VJP 74

Can you shed some light on why you typically use Private waters for your search water ?
Is it possible you don't want conflicts with other handler/dog teams ?
What about gun sensitive dog training ?
woodboro
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby Misskiwi67 » Sat May 07, 2016 2:04 pm

The public land I train on is typically free of other people, but I'm very sensitive to offending the city folks that might find the training cruel. I'm also sensitive because I'm a veterinarian and anything I do that offends PETA could lose me my job. Not that long ago a veterinarian lost her job and is currently under review to lose her license after shooting a feral cat. Granted she's also an idiot who posted the cat proudly on Facebook but you get my drift...

I have access to private land, so I make use of that for anything that might be misconstrued by city folk, like the duck chase or shooting outside normal hunting seasons.
Vivian II vom Jagdkonig- VJP 71 HZP 191 VGP 262 Prize III
Arabella vom Hoheren Boden- VJP 74 HZP 181/189 VGP 281 Prize I
Misskiwi67
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby 3drahthaars » Sat May 07, 2016 7:05 pm

woodboro wrote:3Drahthaars -

It's a shame , you are not willing to discuss the simplistic ideas about dog training in the threads I have created.
This chat room forum had little to no activity on a regular bases I thought I would open up some discussion threads.

Quite possibly its above you , and that is o.k. to have that thought process. (Or personality conflicts)
My assumption was to learn and educate to encourage people to train dogs with possible new ideas.

Just explain to me what difference it makes what water you train on, i.e. whether it is private, fed', state, or whatever.

I'm all for discussion.

I suppose I'm confused... this is a German and European Testing System board... tried to keep the discussion pertinent to G and ET... my bad.

I don't talk to hear myself talk. And, I don't write without some sort of purpose.

If this is one of those someone just wants someone to listen things, I'm sorry. My wife says I'm not wired for that.

You got a problem. I'll help you.

You just want to post and have a rap session... I'm out...

... I'm out.

Good luck with your training...

3ds
3drahthaars
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby woodboro » Sun May 08, 2016 8:21 am

Misskiwi-
Very good point.
Using Private land to eliminate the possibility of someone being miss lead on public water is a very good point.
I live in a rural area , and I am still alittle bit in fear of that scenario !!
However getting your dog out there in public water and specially a defined "dog training grounds" helps promote and educate aspiring new handlers
on our versatile dogs.

3Drahthaars-
Can't wait for you to start a thread !!!
All your posts are all great rereads . Like your avatar pic :wink:
woodboro
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby SMAbby » Mon May 09, 2016 3:47 pm

Private land is hard to come by. Public lands close to nesting seasons. You train where you can when you can.
I do try to avoid training in small bodies of water fro duck searches. I have found ojt it is way to easy to condition a dogs search the the size of water you train on.
VC Max vom Schutzenknapp VJP 75, HZP190, VGP 303 PI 4H Nose, NA 112, UT 204 Invite 196
Baja vom Wamsbach VJP 64, HZP 169, NA 112
Anka vom Loofkamp VJP 66, HZP 139,HZP 172, NA 112
Krystal Creeks Untamed Spirit ( Abby) NA 93 Prize III UT 200 Prize II
SMAbby
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Next

Return to German and European Testing Systems