Duck search - making duck flightless?

DKV and VDD, etc

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Duck search - making duck flightless?

Postby bhulisa » Tue Mar 29, 2016 10:37 am

Hi, I wonder if any of you might be able to help with methods for making the duck(s) flightless?

In the HZP regulations it says to use the "method of Prof Muller (paper strip around individual primaries of one wing)". Then there is the method of removal of the 3 primaries by pulling them out.

What is the Prof Muller method and use of a paper strip? Expand please?? Is either method "better", or, is another method better?

Thanks in advance....
Trudi
bhulisa
Pup
Pup

Re: Duck search - making duck flightless?

Postby Fun Dog » Thu Mar 31, 2016 10:39 pm

I like using a duck sock sold by lion country. Or you can just get birds that don't fly. I've heard that a baby sock over the ducks head will keep them pretty much in one place.
Dori
Fun Dog
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby Constructeur » Thu Mar 31, 2016 10:57 pm

Constructeur
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby CohanseyDD » Fri Apr 01, 2016 7:11 am

Pull 5 flight feathers from one (1) wing and you will have accomplished your goal.
CohanseyDD
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby Duckdon » Fri Apr 01, 2016 11:22 am

CohanseyDD wrote:Pull 5 flight feathers from one (1) wing and you will have accomplished your goal.

Sounds like your starting duck search. Have you consulted your breeder? Duck search is not just about pulling a few feathers. Its a step by step process. My Breeder, Dan Ritter was a great help with the entire process. Might talk with your breeder and even attend one of his training weekends, assuming he does that sort of thing. As far as how I make ducks flightless. I pull the primary feathers ( the first 5-7 wing tip feathers) on the most distal part of ONE wing. Why one wing? Can't fly because you disrupt their balance. Pulling also leaves a hint of blood. Remember this one important idea, duck search is more about a dog, confidently looking for the duck, following a ducks movements in the swamp by scent, not necessarily finding the duck..
Good Luck
Don and Crew
Forgive me for being arrogant. I own 4 Drahthaars.
Tundramoor Drahthaar Kennel
Don Lietzau, Chugiak, Alaska
Duckdon
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby bhulisa » Tue Apr 05, 2016 7:24 am

Thank you all for the replies. The duck sock looks good for some uses. The removal of the flight feathers, others.

Duckdon, unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on your perspective) I am the breeder :) and we do not have a culture of these tests in our country - yet. South Africa. So there is no one here to ask.

We are currently forming a versatile testing association, and are very much in our infancy. In writing our regulations, we need to not only factor in the requirements of the test, it's specific nature and purpose, but also ensure that we do not fall foul of any animal anti-cruelty or nature conservation regulations.

Then there is training...

So I am trying to gather as much info as possible. No doubt you will receive a lot more questions from me in future ;)

Many thanks, Trudi
bhulisa
Pup
Pup

Postby 3drahthaars » Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:25 am

bhulisa wrote:Thank you all for the replies. The duck sock looks good for some uses. The removal of the flight feathers, others.

Duckdon, unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on your perspective) I am the breeder :) and we do not have a culture of these tests in our country - yet. South Africa. So there is no one here to ask.

We are currently forming a versatile testing association, and are very much in our infancy. In writing our regulations, we need to not only factor in the requirements of the test, it's specific nature and purpose, but also ensure that we do not fall foul of any animal anti-cruelty or nature conservation regulations.

Then there is training...

So I am trying to gather as much info as possible. No doubt you will receive a lot more questions from me in future ;)

Many thanks, Trudi

Thanks for the clarification... I've held back until now before offering any comments.

First, I'd follow the JGHV POs to the "T" for now and not reinvent the system, because eventually to acquire and sustain a gene pool you will probably have to align with that parent testing organization. Also, because of the greenies in the EC it will be more than sufficiently "humane". Remember, the correct method is that which satisfies the local jurisdictions and game laws.

Second, I'd get your group together to investigate inviting a JGHV judge to explain things and walk you through the system, testing, and review some potential testing venues. I'd get one from a location/country that hunted the same type(s) of game. We Americans have a tendency to try to reinvent the wheel... my thoughts is the 100+ year old system got us here... maybe we should try to completely understand it before trying to "improve" things. You simply cannot go wrong following JGHV rules and requirements!!!

Lastly, I'd go with the pulled primary feather method because I think it offers the most realistic search and is more reliable than the taped wings. And, after introduction remember that just like hunting, the bird should be shot as soon as a pup has made sight of the bird and a sight chase has developed. You want to develop the track!!!

Good luck,

3ds
3drahthaars
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby bhulisa » Wed Apr 06, 2016 12:25 am

Thank you 3ds, that all makes a lot of sense and we are looking into getting some judges out here to "baby step" us through the process ! Trudi
bhulisa
Pup
Pup

Postby woodboro » Sat Apr 16, 2016 6:43 pm

I am only referring to my training methods , and some will frown on it , and others may welcome it.
Every , and I will repeat every training session I put my dogs in front of I want them to succeed.
That being said , No sense in laying a 20 meter blood track when a pup can only do 4 meters efficiently.
In the water live duck search or blind retrieve , or visual retrieve , I tap the ducks wings so the duck bobs.
From that point on , I will progress with the dogs training to one wing taped, to eventually flight feathers pulled for graduation class.
If a dog IMO is put onto a duck that has a high percentage of escape , the reward for the dog (young dog) is a low percentage that defeats the learning value.
woodboro
Master Poster
Master Poster

Return to German and European Testing Systems