Force Fetch

DKV and VDD, etc

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Force Fetch

Postby randomnut » Tue Mar 15, 2016 1:33 pm

Looking for some advice on a force fetch program. I have been using the Perfect Start/Perfect Finish for bird work. Want to start getting ready for the HZP, so I guess it's FF time.
randomnut
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Re: Force Fetch

Postby Duckdon » Thu Mar 17, 2016 9:01 pm

Jon Hann, Perfection Kennel, just came out with the Perfect Retrieve DVD. I like the Danny Farmer DVD on FF and the Chris Akins Duck Dog Basics one on FF.
Don and Crew
Forgive me for being arrogant. I own 4 Drahthaars.
Tundramoor Drahthaar Kennel
Don Lietzau, Chugiak, Alaska
Duckdon
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby CohanseyDD » Fri Mar 18, 2016 7:45 am

I like the TriTronics program. Simple, easy to follow and effective.
CohanseyDD
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby A_LOTA_NOTA » Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:40 am

Mark Payton has a good DVD called Reliable Retrieving. Most videos I have seen say they start with a green dog but in Mark's video you can tell the dog has never been on the table before.
A_LOTA_NOTA
Started
Started

Postby 3drahthaars » Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:13 am

Personally, I'm not a one size fits all kind of guy.

I know that a lot of people have followed one method or another with good results in FF.

I think that you should watch your pup, as it develops and note its temperament then determine how to progress with FF.

For a pup with a LOT of natural retrieve and a biddable temperament... I'd go with Hillman. One with an independent streak would shade me to Dobbs (a.k.a. Tri-Tronics).

If you've never been through this probably Evan's program, because it is a better method for "training" someone to "train".

It's a personal preference.

3ds
3drahthaars
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby randomnut » Mon Mar 21, 2016 7:24 pm

Thanks everyone. I ordered Perfection Kennels dvd set last week. I heard good reviews about all ya'll mentioned, and appreciate all the responses. I've got 2 pups to force fetch. Both are great retrievers already, so hopefully this will go fairly painlessly.
randomnut
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby Constructeur » Mon Mar 21, 2016 7:39 pm

I have to say, FF was by far the least fun I've ever had dog 'training' at this point. Overall a test of mental fortitude for the both of us. I got through it with a program, and a pal who was a bit ahead of me in ffing his dog. I can't imagine trying to hack through any of the programs by my lonesome, so suggest whichever route/method/program you use have some sort of support from someone in your local dog club that you trust, a local pro trainer that will help by the hour, something.
Constructeur
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby Duckdon » Tue Mar 22, 2016 10:25 am

3drahthaars wrote:Personally, I'm not a one size fits all kind of guy.

I know that a lot of people have followed one method or another with good results in FF.

I think that you should watch your pup, as it develops and note its temperament then determine how to progress with FF.

For a pup with a LOT of natural retrieve and a biddable temperament... I'd go with Hillman. One with an independent streak would shade me to Dobbs (a.k.a. Tri-Tronics).

If you've never been through this probably Evan's program, because it is a better method for "training" someone to "train".

It's a personal preference.

3ds

Agree. I have studied and use many methods or parts of....., to get a dog trained but if your new you are best starting with a program of some sort. You will start adapting, mixing and matching, as you gain experience. Pretty much now I have developed my own methods, but still look for more and better ways to get it done. Good Luck. Just my opinion. Don and Crew
Forgive me for being arrogant. I own 4 Drahthaars.
Tundramoor Drahthaar Kennel
Don Lietzau, Chugiak, Alaska
Duckdon
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby woodboro » Sat Apr 16, 2016 7:12 pm

I'll chime in on this wonderful topic.
I consider it a major turning point on any dogs education.
It creates the most important aspect of a handler and a dog - WHO IS ALPHA.
Truly it doesn't matter what system you take , 'make it your own'
Believe in it , and your dog will believe in you.
jumping from one system to another , like any training will confuse the dog as much as your training.
I always like the approach 'shortest distance from to points creates a simple result'
There is no short cuts to force fetch(.)
However I will point out that adding skills to a dog during this point enhances the dogs interaction with the handler.
I do a lot of obedience at this time, as well as continuing solidifying steady on scent.
Years ago I started with the only system presented for me " Armbruster training manual"
Carrying an object at heel is probably more important I have found than many other aspects of the training.
woodboro
Master Poster
Master Poster

Return to German and European Testing Systems