A little more help

DKV and VDD, etc

Moderator: Moderator Pack

A little more help

Postby Densa44 » Sat Feb 27, 2016 11:21 am

There will be a test in British Columbia and we are registered to run the pup. She is a very good dog, but I'm still not clear on what is expected.

I'm told that they will be using a live pheasant. It will be flightless I imagine and my other dog caught and retrieved hers in an NA test. There are not a lot of rabbits to flush and track so I guess that is why they will be using a bird. As long as I know what the test is I can train her for it and that's fine with me.

How long is this track?

When she catches up to the bird, is she expected to retrieve the bird? Does it have to be alive when she gets back to the handler?

Thanks a lot, this is all new and we are very excited to run in a new test.
Pine Ridges Ginnieve NA 112 UT pz 1 200
Camridge's Sienna NA 112 UT pz 1 204
Foothill Joce NA 112
Czarina Vom Oberland VJP 70 NA pz 112
Densa44
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Re: A little more help

Postby seadog » Sun Feb 28, 2016 12:55 am

Check your PMs
seadog
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby seadog » Sun Feb 28, 2016 12:55 am

Check your PMs
seadog
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby Densa44 » Sun Feb 28, 2016 11:47 am

I haven't got any PM's. It has worked in the past (the PM system) and I'd like to hear your advice.
Foothill Joce NA 112
Densa44
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby seadog » Sun Feb 28, 2016 12:57 pm

I tried the e mail option this time , hope it worked . If not I am sure you will tell me , lol .
seadog
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby blue04 » Sun Feb 28, 2016 3:01 pm

Densa44 wrote:There will be a test in British Columbia and we are registered to run the pup.

What test are we discussing? NAVHDA NA?
blue04
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby ANick » Sun Feb 28, 2016 4:25 pm

Blue,
From what I read, he's asking about the VJP, Spring JGHV pup test.

Densa,
Did you get a copy of the VZPO rule book (for the VJP and HZP tests)? VDD-GNA does have them (English) for sale (http://www.vdd-gna.org/documents-forms/) if you cannot get them from your breed club http://www.vpp-gna.org/.

Have you contacted the host group for your test? FWIW, I dug around on the JGV-USA and JGV-RM websites trying to find a reference to a BC test and didn't find one mentioned, however, this doesn't necessarily include tests hosted by any given breed group.

I did see KenDD had a note in on your other thread, he might be of more help? http://www.versatiledogs.net/forum/view ... 6&p=221904

Nick
ANick
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby Misskiwi67 » Sun Feb 28, 2016 4:31 pm

I don't know anything about using birds for tracking, we do rabbits here. If your pup does catch a bird on either the pointing or tracking, they will not be judged on how they retrieve. All that is judged is the pointing and the tracking.
Vivian II vom Jagdkonig- VJP 71 HZP 191 VGP 262 Prize III
Arabella vom Hoheren Boden- VJP 74 HZP 181/189 VGP 281 Prize I
Misskiwi67
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Deuce » Sun Feb 28, 2016 7:07 pm

I'm pretty sure group Canada has an exemption and can use pheasants for the track.
Deuce
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Densa44 » Mon Feb 29, 2016 9:46 am

That helps. The pup has a German registration and we have a piece of paper that says that we are registered. My wf told me that she was told that we are going to be using a live bird for the track.

So the advice is helpful. I think that she will catch the bird. I'll give her a few lessons on retrieving a live bird, I don't want any nasty surprises.
Foothill Joce NA 112
Densa44
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby 3drahthaars » Mon Feb 29, 2016 11:02 am

Densa44 wrote:That helps. The pup has a German registration and we have a piece of paper that says that we are registered. My wf told me that she was told that we are going to be using a live bird for the track.

So the advice is helpful. I think that she will catch the bird. I'll give her a few lessons on retrieving a live bird, I don't want any nasty surprises.

Since it's a JGHV test, all that is evaluated is track, nose, search, point, and cooperation.

I'd get a couple of pheasants, pull the primaries, and give her a couple of opportunities to track just like the test. Don't try to save money and "drag" the bird..... it's not the same as the track!

If she catches it, have a plan to get it back. She won't be evaluated for a retrieve, but if she buries or eats it... you might have a notation entered onto your score sheet.

FYI:

Learn how to use a slip lead to start your pup on the track.

VZPO allows you to guide your pup 30m along the track to make sure it's on. But, your tracking score only starts AFTER you release the pup.

Ask the judge to show you exactly where the track started, the general direction (possibly with a landmark), and tell you how much of it is "scoreable". The latter is crucial, because if you guide your pup 30m on a 30m track... there is no remaining track to score.

Good luck,

3ds
3drahthaars
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Densa44 » Mon Feb 29, 2016 12:52 pm

Thanks a lot. We have our own birds, way too many if you ask me. 3 pens full, so cost is not an issue, wild pheasants too. We are the only house on 640 acres. When it warms up a bit more we will have wild ducks on the creek and slough.

It really is a hunter's/trainer's paradise.

I'm am concerned about mutilating game especially when dealing with a bird that has a sharp beak.

I'll start training for the test very soon. It is -15 C out there to-day with the wind blowing, so sometimes Paradise isn't as nice as I let on!
Foothill Joce NA 112
Densa44
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby KenDD » Mon Feb 29, 2016 6:38 pm

If you want you can drop me a note..... more then willing to help in anyway

Ken
KenDD