Blood Tracking Lead - snap recommendations

DKV and VDD, etc

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Blood Tracking Lead - snap recommendations

Postby bwana_don » Tue Feb 23, 2016 9:56 pm

Looking for thoughts on the right snap to use on a blood tracking lead, need to replace the lock jaw snap it came with.

Ordered my new blood tracking lead in December, it just arrived, it was on back order waiting for the lock jaw snaps I thought I needed on it.

The first time I used it the locking snap failed 5 or more times on a 400 meter track. Needless to say I was disappointed. Compared the snap on this lead to another lead that was older and it looked like a knock off of the "Italian" lock jaw snap. Mine was missing the "W", Pat Pending and Italy stamped on it.

Thinking about it, these lock jaw snaps seem like point of failure waiting to happen. If the thumb roller that is supposed to lock it in place rolls out of place the jaws open with just a little pressure. If I tug on mine just right, 3 good tugs and the roller moves and the jaws open. Thinking about all the time I have spent with dogs on normal snaps using check cords, leashes, stakes out, etc. I cannot think of a time where a snap failed, unless it was the swivel part that finally wore out. I also found a working dog thread that talks about the Italian ones failing.

Thinking about going with a normal brass snap or maybe a bull snap.

Let me know your thoughts, really interested to hear if anyone else has had issues with the lock jaw snaps, also known as alligator snaps.

Thanks,

Don
bwana_don
Started
Started

Re: Blood Tracking Lead - snap recommendations

Postby CohanseyDD » Wed Feb 24, 2016 8:28 am

There is absolutely no reason for a quick release snap on a blood tracking lead. Pick any one you want that it takes a little effort to open and you'll be fine.

BTW-The snap you described with the "W" should have a little part in it that you push into a "lock" position. Some of the knock-off snaps don't have it and seem to have a mind of their own as to when they want to open.
CohanseyDD
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby KenDD » Wed Feb 24, 2016 9:23 am

I have three different collars and leads here and none have a snap all are buckled together so that they can not come apart.
Ken
KenDD
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby 3drahthaars » Thu Feb 25, 2016 12:36 pm

I've a nice tracking collar and permatec (sp?) lead now. I got the buckle option because I keep the collar & lead as one, coiled in the traditional way.

That said, at my first VGP an old German doctor pulled a length of clothesline out of his truck cab and proceeded to pass his test, and I did the same with a braided PP lead and homemade collar.

I wouldn't get too caught up in the equipment. If it works and is robust, it's fine.

3ds
3drahthaars
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby bwana_don » Fri Feb 26, 2016 5:12 pm

I have gone to duct tape on the release to hold the thumb wheel in place, reminds me of using electrical tape on my old blank gun to hold the pin in place so it does not get lost. Works fine now. If I had the time to get it fixed and wanted to spend the money, I would convert it to buckle.
bwana_don
Started
Started

Return to German and European Testing Systems