Loud on track?

DKV and VDD, etc

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Re: Loud on track?

Postby Wolfgang » Sat Jan 09, 2016 3:04 pm

Hi Bob
a Teckel/Dachshund is truly a versatile hunting dog and for those hunters who are focused on big game hunting and bloodtrailing and below ground work they can be first choice.
They also do a great job as flushers for furred small game.
For all these types of hunting with those little dogs the spl is truly beneficial !
In the pointing v-dog breeds and in my boarpack I prefer sight loud dogs and I'm much better served and prepared to get the job done for my own hunting and the pleasure and successful hunting of my customers.
One should only keep in mind that spl and "laut an anderem Haarwild" (loudness recoqucnized and recorded on other furred game than hare and/or fox ) is a different pair of shoes and most dogs who show a really good and reliable sightloud are usually also Loud on scent of different types of furred game like roedeer or redddeer but this should not be mixed up with spl according to the definition of JGHV rules! Deutsche Jagdterrier club for excample doesn't even recognize spl on fox scent.

Regards Wolf
Wolfgang
Wolfgang
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Densa44 » Tue Jan 19, 2016 9:29 am

This is all new to me. We don't have many rabbits (varying Hares) and virtually no foxes. What we do have are lots and lots of coyotes, and I don't want the dogs chasing them.

Here is what is happening, every day on our walks they will cut a rabbit track/scent, and rocket off about 1/2 mile over open fields, you can tell they are on a track, nose down and not running in a straight line. After some considerable distance they will shoot into some heavy bush and then start to bark.

I have yet to see the rabbit, they are white and so is all of creation. Is this how to train for rabbit tracking?
Pine Ridges Ginnieve NA 112 UT pz 1 200
Camridge's Sienna NA 112 UT pz 1 204
Foothill Joce NA 112
Czarina Vom Oberland VJP 70 NA pz 112
Densa44
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Densa44 » Sun Jan 24, 2016 2:18 pm

News, I now have seen the rabbit. After much barking and chasing about a mile, the rabbit broke cover and believe or not ran past me on the road with the PPs in hot pursuit. So if I had of been hunting I definitely would have been able to bag a rabbit.

So it does work, I'll be darned!
Pine Ridges Ginnieve NA 112 UT pz 1 200
Camridge's Sienna NA 112 UT pz 1 204
Foothill Joce NA 112
Czarina Vom Oberland VJP 70 NA pz 112
Densa44
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby California Versatile » Mon Mar 28, 2016 12:59 am

Wolfgang wrote:
randomnut wrote:Thanks folks. I'm gonna try to live trap some cottontails, then get him excited about them. I've got a large field to train in, and will let the rabbit loose while he watches. I've got a VJP coming soon, and while he's pushed out 7 or 8 for me hunting this year, I've been unable to hit one. While i work on the rabbit track, maybe he'll show that he can get loud on scent. If not, no big deal.

You can trap 100 rabbits and let your dog sight chase and he will not do a single yelp on scent if its not an inherited trait with him/her .And for the records at VJP/HZP it wouldn't even help IF your dog opens on rabbit scent cause only hare or fox counts for recognized spl.
If a dog has this inherited trait of spl it will come all by itself at about six mo old with teckels or terriers and usually a little later with V-dog breeds but if you haven't heard any scent loud after 12 mo of age there is no or very little chance it will show up later the amount of worked scent tracks doesen't matter in any way.
Young Dachshunds/Teckel start to open on the first track immediately when they are around 7-8 mo old.Moust hound breeds (Bracken artige) have this trait very strong genetically fixed while its unusual and unnecessesary for pointing/V-dog breeds.
Many spl records marked spl on scoresheets are more waidlaut than scentloud and are a desaster and a pain in the a$$ while hunting with such a dog.
Correct spl shows in working the first few yards of the track silent until it gets hot than opening with good tongue ,shut up immediately when the hare is zigzagging and the dog is off track and circeling to get back and start opening again when he/she hit it again.
The nervous overexcited and highstrung yodelers who cry like a chainsaw already when lead to the track and continue doing it until the hare has disappeared on horizon should be by a knowledgable an ixperienced team of VR's brought to a field, [b]which is prooven to be game free by a different dog,and turned loose for a free independant search and tested for the severe fault of waidlaut.

[/b

Everything else can be a learned behavior so why can't scent loud?

The funny thing is more and more lhoundsmen, especially those running a dry ground free casting lion packs in areas that see pressure, are starting to gravitate to scent quiet dogs to not tip off the lion early and potentially shorten the chase.

I know a lion hound trainer in Utah that's had a few drahthaars find their way into his training pack.
California Versatile
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Mon Mar 28, 2016 7:45 am

Tree dog fur hunters have known for a long time that a still mouth dog will tree more fur. The various breeds of curs will tree more game than a lot of hounds when cold tracking is not necessary. I enjoy a big bawl mouth hound unwinding and heating up a track too much to go down that road but appreciate all good dogs and the effectiveness of still mouth dogs. My GWPs treed and held in the tree more bobcats than my hounds ever did. I believe the trait of silent or loud is bred in and am not aware of any method to teach it. Many still mouth dogs will yip at the start of a jumped game hot track and then go silent after lining out the track. My GWPs have performed in that manner. I think some of what gets noted as scent loud in the tests is that and the dog is not really scent loud going down the entire track. No axe to grind with that observation, just sharing.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby ryanr » Tue Mar 29, 2016 1:13 pm

My DD is sight loud to fur, I think the German term is sichlaut. The very first time I heard it was when he was about 6 or 7 months old and a red fox jumped out into the field in front of us. WOW, I had never heared my dog make that sound before and I could hear him as he tore after that fox with a vengeance. He is sight loud on just about all wild fur, it's kind of neat to hear. When we went up to Maine for grouse and woodcock and he ventured off where I couldn't see or hear him, if I heard it I knew to immediately call him. To this day if we're bird hunting and I hear him give tongue I just call him off immediately and he responds and gets back to hunting birds.
ryanr
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Previous

Return to German and European Testing Systems