I'm new, rabbits?

DKV and VDD, etc

Moderator: Moderator Pack

I'm new, rabbits?

Postby Densa44 » Wed Dec 30, 2015 2:40 pm

I know nothing about this system but we have a new member of our pack, Czarina Vom Oberland from Munich and we promised the breeders that we would run her in the "German" system, after all how tough could it be. So far I can't find a club in western Canada or any information on tests that they run. Any help would be very much appreciated, BTW I don't read or write German.

Second I'm told that tracking/chasing a rabbit is part of the test. My pps chase them every day, and bark while they are at it. My question is,how would this help to hunt rabbits? The dogs chase the rabbit about 1/2 mile or so before I can get them back. Where I live the dogs can go a mile without seeing as much as a bush.
Pine Ridges Ginnieve NA 112 UT pz 1 200
Camridge's Sienna NA 112 UT pz 1 204
Foothill Joce NA 112
Czarina Vom Oberland VJP 70 NA pz 112
Densa44
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Re: I'm new, rabbits?

Postby Misskiwi67 » Wed Dec 30, 2015 4:03 pm

The key to the rabbit track is the scent track, not the chase. When you test your dog, a group of "beaters" will be up ahead beating the brush to kick up any rabbits. Handlers will be walking behind and hopefully out of sight of the rabbits. If your dog sees the rabbit they will not be allowed to track that rabbit. You will go to the spot where the rabbit was last seen, and put your dog on the track. You should be able to give your dog a command to track. They will be judged on use of nose and tracking ability and persistence. If they lose the track do they start again or break into a free search??

Live rabbits are preferred because of the difficulty of the track. Drags will help your dog learn the tracking command but are not useful for developing tracking skills, there's too much scent. You should set your dog on rabbit tracks as frequently as possible, and avoid sight chases.
Vivian II vom Jagdkonig- VJP 71 HZP 191 VGP 262 Prize III
Arabella vom Hoheren Boden- VJP 74 HZP 181/189 VGP 281 Prize I
Misskiwi67
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby huntinmo » Wed Dec 30, 2015 4:07 pm

Western Canada? There is a Group Canada, and also a Group North America, that covers USA. Some people from Western Canada do join one or the other on occasion.
It is not about rabbit hunting, it is about tracking the hare that has not or can no longer be seen. But Manner of Hunting is also a part of the test. Good luck with your pup! Have you considered returning to Germany for testing of your dog?
huntinmo
Started
Started

Postby Densa44 » Wed Dec 30, 2015 5:12 pm

Its not about rabbit hunting? If that is so what are we testing? If it is just tracking why not use a no flight pheasant?

No I haven't thought about going to Germany to test a dog. You may not be familiar with flying with a dog but it is a big hassle here in western Canada. In addition we have 4 dogs and my place is here with them.

I live in a hunter's/trainer's paradise and don't think Germany would be a step up. Oktoberfest has a lot of appeal.
Foothill Joce NA 112
Densa44
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Misskiwi67 » Wed Dec 30, 2015 5:26 pm

Densa44 wrote:Its not about rabbit hunting? If that is so what are we testing? If it is just tracking why not use a no flight pheasant?

Do you really want to give your dogs an opportunity to catch a flightless pheasant? I don't want my dogs catching birds.

The dog should be able to track whatever you set it on, be it bird, rabbit, fox, deer, hog or human. It's not about the species, it's about the willingness to put their nose down and follow a track.
Vivian II vom Jagdkonig- VJP 71 HZP 191 VGP 262 Prize III
Arabella vom Hoheren Boden- VJP 74 HZP 181/189 VGP 281 Prize I
Misskiwi67
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby huntinmo » Wed Dec 30, 2015 5:35 pm

Well, I guess that there are some pseudo Octoberfests in other locations if that gets your interest!
The test is about determining the young dog's desire and ability to track furred game, I don't think that pheasants have any fur! Although I can not comment on what may or may not actually be happening in Canada at this time, but you may want to look into opportunities in the frigid northlands. :-s
huntinmo
Started
Started

Postby 3drahthaars » Fri Jan 01, 2016 5:01 pm

The rabbit/hare track (Spur) is about a dog showing its ability to follow a live track of a rabbit, hare, or fox according to the regulations. It pays off in spades if you blood track large game or hunt hare or fox that can move a considerable distance after being shot or wounded.

This is NOT to be confused with the drags or (Schleppe) which are retrieving and obedience subjects in a test.

Loudness or giving tongue by definition MUST be evaluated only on a hare or fox track... it can be by sight or scent (the latter is preferred). Similar to running hounds when the dogs are used on drives it allows the shooters to pinpoint the dogs, progress of the deer, and makes the hunt. For this purpose... the tracks are done on furred not feathered game.

As for the "German" system it is technically the "JGHV" system and you might look to the JGV-USA clubs in the US for tests or various affiliated breed clubs like VDD, VPP, etc. The former is not usually open to squeezing in anything other than a Drahthaar unless a test has open slots at the last day.

In the interim, if I were you I would download a copy of the regulations VZPO from the JGHV website and familiarize my self with the requirements.

3ds
3drahthaars
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby KenDD » Wed Jan 06, 2016 4:49 pm

VDD Group Canada has held each level of testing out west the last few years http://www.vdd-canada.ca rabbits are not used for tacking in VDD Group Canada VJP tests. Drop me a note if I can be of any assistance.

Ken
KenDD
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby Densa44 » Tue Jan 26, 2016 6:38 pm

Am I doing this right? We find rabbits every day and the older dogs go off at full speed, sometimes I see the rabbit, only once was a shot possible. The dogs, after 15 mins they lay spread eagled on the snow. IMO this is not a very good way to hunt rabbits. One dog has cut herself on a wire fence.

They run hard on the scent and then bark on sight.
Foothill Joce NA 112
Densa44
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Return to German and European Testing Systems