HZP Maintenance

DKV and VDD, etc

Moderator: Moderator Pack

HZP Maintenance

Postby Misskiwi67 » Fri Aug 07, 2015 2:20 pm

So this week has been smooth sailing with HZP training. The issues with presentation have resolved, and a short term issue with parading (also a new issue) was quickly corrected with a call to my pups breeder. She's now done 400 yd drags without a hitch with ducks, shorter with rabbits due to the heat, she returns caught live ducks still alive, and her blind retrieves have had a bit too much duck search and not enough retrieve, but she gets the job done within the time limit.

Now how do I maintain this level without making her bored? We will hunt doves opening day and I plan to require perfect manner of retrieve, but otherwise not much hunting to do etc.

Should I add in steadiness work or hand signals? I've not trained a dog to do either. I've decreased training to 2-3 days a week to prevent boredom, and appear to have created a dog begging for a job to do.

Our HZP is October 12.

Thanks everyone!!
Vivian II vom Jagdkonig- VJP 71 HZP 191 VGP 262 Prize III
Arabella vom Hoheren Boden- VJP 74 HZP 181/189 VGP 281 Prize I
Misskiwi67
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Re: HZP Maintenance

Postby Deuce » Fri Aug 07, 2015 2:54 pm

Reducing training and keep up enthusiasm, in my opinion are the right paths. Also, maintain your standards.

Lastly, if you can keep things interesting that will help. I.e. send her for a blind and have a live rabbit, etc. Something to keep them guessing.
Deuce
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Coveyrise64 » Fri Aug 07, 2015 3:44 pm

~
~
Different locations.....same expectations!

cr
VC TJ's Highfalutin Hawkeye MH, UTI

VC TJ's Miss Filson MH, UTI R.I.P. 5/13/03-10/15/14

Thunderhead's All Jacked Up R.I.P. "My Buddy" 9/9/09-1/27/14

"I'd rather train for perfection than fix the problems of mediocrity" ~ Me

"There are always going to be those who prefer to freeze in the dark rather than put forth the effort to light a fire." ~ Lvrdg07
Coveyrise64
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby 3drahthaars » Fri Aug 07, 2015 7:11 pm

Deuce wrote:Reducing training and keep up enthusiasm, in my opinion are the right paths. Also, maintain your standards.

Lastly, if you can keep things interesting that will help. I.e. send her for a blind and have a live rabbit, etc. Something to keep them guessing.

The interesting thing about HZP is getting the pup to peak at the right time.

When you cannot, you have to be creative to retain the enthusiasm because they may have matured beyond puppyhood curiosity...

Live game at the end of the drag... make the task fun... they won't know the "truth" until the test.

Bob
3drahthaars
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Steven » Mon Aug 10, 2015 1:19 pm

I wouldn't look at it as "maintenance", but rather you should now go into "proofing" mode. For me, proofing involves less frequency like you've done, but add significant levels of difficulty. Options include:

Drags: extreme distance (600 or 800 yd), more turns (make her take drags that double back toward you on two right hand turns for example), do a drag in the woods like VGP.

Water work: bigger water than she's ever seen, longer blind retrieves.

General: New locations, stacking up tasks like a test such as as soon as you finish a drag, take her to the water or take her to a planted field, set up one or two dog mock tests so you do a whole HZP in half a day . . . the pace of it will test the dog in new ways and make the stress of test day much easier on the dog.

Doing this will make you MUCH more comfortable on test day because the test subjects will feel a bit elementary to you. Your comfort will transfer into a confident dog as well.
"A bird dog already wants to find and point birds. It's my job to take nothing away from that and add those little things that WE want them to do. . ." - Maurice Lindley
Steven
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby largefrag » Thu Aug 13, 2015 9:55 am

best advice i got and failed to listen to was not to overdo it and peak too early. I would train with less frequency and more difficluty to keep things fresh and challenging. be consitent with obeience and delivery at all times though and polish up things aa few weeks beofre test, if you over do it and peak to early, your dog will get bored and so will you and you might start to overlook littel things that might become big prblems at test. And one other thing, don't have a baby 6 weeks before the test. My wife and i had our daughter 6 weeks before running the armbruster so my pup was a llitte starved for attention and lacking training by the time we made the trip ( we had already done pretty well at his previous HZP so i basically quit training). Needless to say, he let me know how he felt about being dropped a rung on the ladder and the lack of attention he'd been getting.
largefrag
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby vom Dufenshmirtz » Thu Aug 13, 2015 6:36 pm

I can't help it, reading the remarks about 'peaking' at the right time.. sounds like it's about top level athletes, not hunting dogs, which one would expect to be ready to go hunting (and fetching and whatever) anytime...
Aren't the tests should be the same as hunting...?
vom Dufenshmirtz
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby Wolfgang » Fri Aug 14, 2015 1:39 am

vom Dufenshmirtz wrote:I can't help it, reading the remarks about 'peaking' at the right time.. sounds like it's about top level athletes, not hunting dogs, which one would expect to be ready to go hunting (and fetching and whatever) anytime...
Aren't the tests should be the same as hunting...?

:wink: :!:+1
I train a dog to be a reliable and high performance hunting dog which first and foremost suits ME,my hunting requirements and meets my personal standard! If the dog has all the necessary inherited traits I will do my job and never worry about any artificial test! :wink:
And btw a dog that refuses to work on his top level everytime and quits or get's bored "cause he lacks his necessary attention from me" or feels like he dropped one step below on the ladder wouldn't finish one cup of dog food at my place!
Family wise and among humans there place is always and has to be on the bottom!!!!! In the pack they can and will work it out and get the correct place in the hyrachi.
Don't put all these sentimental feelings and humane traetment in your dog,its not a kid and no baby its an animal which has learned through evolution and selective breeding to please and work for those who feed'em to their full satisfaction otherwise they aren't worse their keep.
I you aren't mentally stabillized to do that and need to pamper your pet all the time and clicker or throw cottonballs at'em get a lapdog and enjoy his company.
Wolfgang
Wolfgang
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Chadwick » Fri Aug 14, 2015 8:17 am

Wolfgang,

Testing over here is an activity unto itself, so there are many people trying to maximize every last point possible in order to get the highest score possible. As such, people are training their dogs to be as close to perfect in doing the requirements of a test as possible. This does not mean that the dogs are not working at their highest level, but they are often getting corrected for every little thing that is not the model of perfection. The type of things that nobody cares about when they are hunting.

As such, the pressure gets cranked up on the dog in the weeks leading up to the test. Because of this, many people then take a week or a least several days off prior to the test just so the dog can normalize from the pressure. This is what people are talking about when they mean timing peak of the dog's performance prior to a test.
Chadwick
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby vom Dufenshmirtz » Fri Aug 14, 2015 8:32 am

Chadwick wrote:..
Testing over here is an activity unto itself....

indeed and this is precisely my issue with it.
vom Dufenshmirtz
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby Wolfgang » Fri Aug 14, 2015 11:09 am

Chadwick wrote:Wolfgang,

Testing over here is an activity unto itself, so there are many people trying to maximize every last point possible in order to get the highest score possible. As such, people are training their dogs to be as close to perfect in doing the requirements of a test as possible. This does not mean that the dogs are not working at their highest level, but they are often getting corrected for every little thing that is not the model of perfection. The type of things that nobody cares about when they are hunting.

As such, the pressure gets cranked up on the dog in the weeks leading up to the test. Because of this, many people then take a week or a least several days off prior to the test just so the dog can normalize from the pressure. This is what people are talking about when they mean timing peak of the dog's performance prior to a test.

That's the spirit of competition and winning and the foundation for the idea "second winner is first looser"
VJP and HZP as well as Derby and Solms is a natural instinct test (Anlage Prüfung) which has been designed and thought of to be a tool to find out the weakness and the strenghts of inherited traits and proof the breedworthyness of sire and dam or the match of both.
It's not based on the idea of competition!!!! This is what I don't like with all the "elite tests" major Herber,IKP,Edgar Heyne,Hegewald,vorm Walde...... you name it,they have been developped to point out the specimens which have above average ability and performance,but its downgraded nowerdays as the salespitch with based on the competition idea!
But to each his own that is only my personal opinion which I have followed with all my dogs for fifty years now and will not make a change for the rest of my time
Wolfgang
Wolfgang
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Misskiwi67 » Fri Aug 14, 2015 3:05 pm

Wolfgang, if we could be hunting, we would... But season doesn't start until the week before the test, except for 1-2 days of dove hunting. Retriever games are not hunting and my dog well enough knows it!!
Vivian II vom Jagdkonig- VJP 71 HZP 191 VGP 262 Prize III
Arabella vom Hoheren Boden- VJP 74 HZP 181/189 VGP 281 Prize I
Misskiwi67
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Return to German and European Testing Systems