What is this Declaration?

DKV and VDD, etc

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Re: What is this Declaration?

Postby Misskiwi67 » Sun Jul 12, 2015 11:06 am

Do the VDD bylaws requiring in-person participation have anything to do with all this? Germany is significantly smaller than the US, and its really quite unrealistic to expect members to fly cross country to participate.

I did attend my chapter meeting this year, and this was not mentioned at all.

I've had a total of 2 or 3 e-mails from my chapter representatives in the 2 years I've been a member. I still have not received any information from leadership regarding this declaration except where I have contacted them directly. Is this only being pushed by certain leadership in certain chapters??
Vivian II vom Jagdkonig- VJP 71 HZP 191 VGP 262 Prize III
Arabella vom Hoheren Boden- VJP 74 HZP 181/189 VGP 281 Prize I
Misskiwi67
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Georgia Boy » Sun Jul 12, 2015 1:17 pm

It seems some chapters were on top of getting this info to their members and others were not. Communication has been a problem at all levels it appears and is Something I think we should focus on improving, with all the avenues available now it shouldn't be that difficult.
Home of the truly versatile hunting companion. http://www.vommountaincreek.com
Georgia Boy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby 3drahthaars » Wed Jul 15, 2015 11:24 am

DrahtsundBraats wrote:Having been involved with dog clubs for 55 years, the ultimate responsibility rests with the members. In every dog club, the great majority of members are missing in action. After all, they have lives - jobs, families, a lawn to mow, T-ball to play, and a list of higher priorities. In the end, we get the club and the leadership we deserve, as a result of our participation. In almost every dog club, 20% participate which means 11% call the shots. The rest have a choice...to complain or get involved. As far as communication, I agree with comments here. It should be better...but I'm wondering what the email "Inbox" looks like when you're an officer of a 1300 member club.

Yes, probably about 20% participate. But, I don't buy the "higher priority" explanation.

In fact, having been in that category and still having directed and/or judged 5 to 6 tests a year for an 8 year period, I would say that it is that category which makes the most sacrifice and is the most dedicated, because they don't live off of the dogs and seldom have a personal agenda.

You know as well as I that a good percentage of decent guys get driven off for not following blindly. For some it's self imposed from frustration, and for others it is an out and out blacklisting by the powers to be.

I think that we're going to lose a really great guy in the aftermath of the dual registration fiasco, and I believe that the dismal attendance to the AGM may show further disillusionment amongst a growing number of the membership.

And, as you and I are aware there is a current movement under way. Unfortunately, one potential candidate is running because he got screwed by an unkept campaign promise from the last go around. However, that is the wrong reason for running.

We need leaders who wish to grow the club responsibly, have no personal agenda, and have no egos...

And, we need leaders who call a spade a spade and don't cow tow (sp?) to the Germans... even German law says that if you pay dues your vote should count. The limitation on GNA membership/votes in VDD is ridiculous... THERE'S WHERE WE SHOULD HAVE FLOATED A MOTION and/or focus instead of this copyright BS!!!!

This is kind of long, and I've probably already lost the attention of most, but as for the COMMUNICATION issues:

Since it's not a conflict of interest, several EB members also hold board positions in their chapters. That keeps the lines of communication clear!!! It also makes sure that EB decisions already have traction in said chapter, and the wheels are already in motion and in sync... choo choo! Communication doesn't have to be universal or accurate it just has to go to the right places, i.e. the chapters where the votes are "reliable".

So, things aren't going to change anytime soon, because the current administration feeds the naive, the lower level politicians, and the profiteers just what they need in order to get the votes to keep the status quo. Elections are generally un-contested because some contenders can be "disuaded" with lower level board positions and promises of future grandeur. Others can be handled with a decent mud-slinging. And, if some persist... well there's ways .... just ask the previous VC.

But, as I say hope springs eternal... even the minions can one day wake up from the Kool Aid, eh? So, it's up to you guys now. I had the fork stuck in me at the last chapter elections; the machine fixed me but good... I'm DONE!

3ds
3drahthaars
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby DDFever » Fri Jul 17, 2015 10:37 am

i
Last edited by DDFever on Fri Dec 23, 2016 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Take a kid hunting!!!!
DDFever
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby DDFever » Fri Jul 17, 2015 4:34 pm

I
Last edited by DDFever on Fri Dec 23, 2016 11:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
Take a kid hunting!!!!
DDFever
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby Istrouma » Fri Jul 17, 2015 6:33 pm

These last 2 posts are pretty pitiful and point out the unhappiness of these 2 people not the state of GNA. Fortunately both Bob and Christian don't represent the membership as a whole. It's also laughable to call this EC the"mafia." Really?
The reality is that these 2 have a long history of bitching but don't want to support positive change.
Bob, you came to the annual meeting in Fayetteville. Did you discuss any concerns or seek any understanding about your questions from any EC member? Did you speak to me at all? Have you ever called me or sent me an email?
Unfortunately the answer is no. You're welcome to at anytime.
Christian, you and I have had a positive working relationship when you were active in BRC and GL. You also nominated me for Chairman because you wanted to see change. I've always responded to support you when you were GL chairman and also when you stepped down. I even strongly suggested a month or so ago that you renew your membership since you have let it lapse. Mafia??? I don't think so.
You are also unaware of a VDD tradition that the members of the VDD EC are also executives within their groups. This is not unethical or sinister. I also think you are way out of line to bad mouth great members who are active volunteering by supporting testing, training, breeding, judging and hunting activities of GNA members in their local area. Your criticism seems petty and ignorant to me. I hope you will call me over the weekend as you've said in your text.
One thing I agree with is that all GNA members should absolutely vet out the candidates. I also encourage any interested party to run for an office. Ask questions of the candidates about what they have done and want to do on a chapter or group level to support and promote the DD. We have a wonderful breed with wonderful membership doing a great job advancing our breed. The GNA EC work their tails off for the 1250+ members everyday. They don't ask for anything but a thanks can go a long way.
A critical problem here is that many expect social media to be the main source of info. It's not and it's not supposed to be.
I'm convinced of a few things. You can't make stupid smart. Wait a few minutes and someone will open their mouth to confirm their IQ. Some people don't care about the facts-it's their opinion that matters. Opinions are like assholes. Everybody has one and most stink. Don't believe everything you read on the internet. If anyone wants to really know what's going on in GNA call your chapter chairman or me. I'll be glad to answer your questions. Brandt
Istrouma
Started
Started

Postby Misskiwi67 » Fri Jul 17, 2015 7:01 pm

I'm new, and have been to several training days with different groups of people the past few months. This is NOT the grumble of a couple members - this is the same grumbling I've been hearing at training days all summer.

I would prefer social media was NOT the main line of communication, but as you probably noticed from my earlier posts, there has not been ANY communication on this particular topic from other places. Its not in the newsletter, it was not sent out by e-mail, and it was not discussed at the chapter annual meeting.
Misskiwi67
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Istrouma » Fri Jul 17, 2015 7:17 pm

I accept your experience as you've stated it. I would hope that you or others would contact your chapter chairman or me to resolve any questions or complaints. You still are welcome to contact me.
Regarding the declaration it was discussed in both the Board of Directors meeting and the membership meeting. Sean Hicks reported on it during his report. No clarifying questions were asked about this or anything else related during the open question period at the end of the meeting. Again this is optional if any member wants to participate. No requirement. Additionally the declaration came up between newsletters and was first presented at the AM. Chapter chairman were encouraged to go home and send it out to their members.
Last edited by Istrouma on Fri Jul 17, 2015 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Istrouma
Started
Started

Postby Misskiwi67 » Fri Jul 17, 2015 7:18 pm

Just curious, but how often are elections held?

Is this just election year drama I should ignore as a newbie? Much like the presidential elections producing much more discussion than there would typically be about any given topic?
Misskiwi67
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Istrouma » Fri Jul 17, 2015 7:25 pm

We now have elections every 4 years. In 2016 we will have all GNA Executive Board positions to be elected. We have 6/8 chapters that will have elections in 2016 as well.
Some of this is election year, some of it because we have had some significant changes over the last 3 years and some is internet drama. This is my opinion so please review my earlier post. It applies to us all.
Istrouma
Started
Started

Postby DDFever » Fri Jul 17, 2015 7:32 pm

It's real you are free to believe what you wish though I am sure you have a fine dog it just depends on what you want out of a membership.
Take a kid hunting!!!!
DDFever
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby rock » Fri Jul 17, 2015 7:49 pm

First post for me.

I am a VDD member - have been for 10 years - and have recently resigned because of the leadership and lack of communication/transperency we have in the club. The Business Manager would not accept my resignaton when I emailed it to him, he could only mark it at the end of the year. So, I am a member, with nothing to lose.

I find it enlightening and yet very troubling the Chairman of VDD-GNA posted that:

1. People who offer an another opinion are deserters and nothing but people who bitch - dang it Bob and Christian, fall in line. You've both most likely been members longer and tested more dogs than our Chairman. But you're out of line!

2. That members of GNA are stupid - As stated (or words to the same effect) "you can't fix stupid" That's leadership ladies and gentlemen - call the membership stupid and expect them to conform. Try leading a recruiting effort with those words.

3. Social media is not how to communicate within VDD (GNA). Well, we all don't live in Louisiana, and in the real world, where I live, people communicate by social media - Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc. Nobody in this day and age should have to go look for information - it should come to them, unfiltered and transparent. The VDD and VDD-GNA are antiquainted and do NOT communicate well at all. Especially regarding breeding regulations and copy right laws. I can't believe I just typed "copy right" in a dog forum.

4. We have many taleneted, educated, transparent people in this club. People who have no ego - who are hunters and who truly want to work with others. Those people are frustrated and a fair amount are intimidated because of the "regime" in place. Those folks are being encouraged to stand up and be heard.

5. As Bob eluded to, he's done. I am done. Not that I don't care, because I do. I care about a quality hunting dog and I care about the majority of people who have dedicated many years to the breed. I am not a breeder, and never wanted to be, so it's easy to find other venues. Other venues that are more welcoming and led by leaders.

I find it very attractive that other breed club leaderhsip are not as self absorbed, arrogant and selfish. The others are laughing - never at the dogs - but at our elected leadership.

I encourage all to really dive into the next election cycle. Change is good. Change is needed.
rock
Pup
Pup

Postby DDREBEL » Fri Jul 17, 2015 9:57 pm

^^^ Very well said Roc
DDREBEL
Pup
Pup

Postby Istrouma » Fri Jul 17, 2015 11:37 pm

Yes Todd it's apparent from your post that VDD and GNA are not for you. We agree on that. You also validated my point in my earlier post regarding facts and opinions. For example the Business Manager did accept your resignation but he informed you that according to our By-Laws it will actually be in place at the end of the year since you paid your 2015 dues. I don't care what you say about me but don't knock the great state of Louisiana. We are deeply committed to our happy hunting backwards lifestyle. Also I've been told I am part of the mafia so you may not be safe. We have alligators!!! Just kidding.

I think that a closer read of my post I attempted to focus on the benefit of taking opportunities to resolve conflict, seeking answers to your questions rather verbally attacking people who volunteer countless hours to the organization. I think both Bob and Christian are not satisfied and are committed to a path that is using social media for bitching. Their process is pointless and counter productive if they are truly committed to the breed. I believe they both are or have been but are frustrated. Bob hasn't ever contacted me but Christian and I will catch up this weekend. That's good. Best I can do is offer both of them a line to discuss their frustration. We may not agree but we could be more civil because after all it's a dog club operated by a group of volunteers at the end of the day. Unfortunately a few folks are just stuck being bitter and others operate as conspiracy theorists.

The other truth I forgot to state is that you can't make everybody happy.
Istrouma
Started
Started

Postby DrahtsundBraats » Sat Jul 18, 2015 7:39 am

I think what is most amazing about this thread is the refusal by some to acknowledge that where there is smoke, there is most likely fire. For the record, I too have not received any direct communication regarding this declaration. It came first through another member. I DID know about the blood testing of puppies, because I read it in the German Blaetter in April. I also know what went down as far as the breeding restrictions, having talked to Board members. I am also aware of how the Oberlaender was originally "greeted" by our EB, as well as how applicants have been denied membership to GNA. All of this paints a picture of wanting to control, of an ideology that has ignored the unintended consequences.

What disturbs me most is how far we have come from some of the founding cornerstones of the club.....especially those of "Zuechterische Freiheit" (freedom of the breeder) and "genetische Vielfalt" (genetic diversity) and honesty and sharing in breeding practice. There is an effort underway to control people, limit access to breeding, limit activity outside of the VDD, and otherwise get folks to "toe the line". IMO, it was 99.9% unnecessary. In the meantime, the education program that has been promised has yet really to materialize. Rules will not make better dogs...education, mentoring and an open discussion might. Fences won't make people act as we wish....inspiration and motivation could...but let's not forget that diversity is desired in this club.

Most of what has happened has been a great distraction and shows how little effort we are putting into what we should be doing. Communicating is one of them. Transparency is definitely another Countless members have asked what our Board's intention will be should they get a Trademark, yet we have heard nothing to date. Please don't tell us that we are spending all this money to shut down a few members from making mugs. We hear endless talk of the need for more VGP dogs and handlers, yet Bayern holds more VGPs than all of North America. I hope we are putting as much effort into the actual mission of the club (VO 2-1).

As far as social media....the point is not whether we "banter" on the internet, the point is that we live in a digital world and shouldn't have to wait until the next Newsletter to hear of important changes, especially when those changes were already decided in March and printed in the German Blaetter months ago.

I do agree with being involved. We get the leadership that our participation deserves. Let's hope our EB doesn't move the goalposts again, blocking people from serving. We are tightly held club, which has its advantages. But when you have folks that want to pull on the oars, you don't tell them to get off the boat.
As far as this upcoming election, I am willing to bet that the majority will be missing in action....allowing a vocal minority to do as they wish.

Now let's also realize that folks who take on these jobs give up a s#*tload of freetime and the pay is p!$$ poor....but that's the job.
DrahtsundBraats
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

PreviousNext

Return to German and European Testing Systems