No more dual registered DD's?

DKV and VDD, etc

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Re: No more dual registered DD's?

Postby 3drahthaars » Wed May 27, 2015 1:35 pm

CohanseyDD wrote:3d's
Your comment about "one dog HZP wonders" breeding and only having one year of hunting experience at best is painting with a pretty broad brush. I would be one of those your statement could be directed at. Yes...I bred my first DD after taking her through all tests with extremely good results. You could say that I "jumped on the bandwagon" by deciding to breed her, but the truth of it is that I've hunted bird dogs of many different breeds for my whole life and I'm 56. Did I ever hunt or train a DD before? No. Does that mean I don't have the experience to recognize what I was doing? I don't think so. Did I do every bit of research I could to find the right stud and drive half way across the country for the first four breedings I did just to breed? I didn't. I could have stopped there and been a "one dog wonder", but I took the next one through VGP too and will take the third one through VGP this Fall. My point is that you never know if someone is going to be a "one dog wonder" until they have a chance to show who they're going to be.

Joe,

I think the highlighted sentence evokes part of the same point that I was trying to make. But, you left out some other pertinent things.

You did VGP your first DD, yes? So, referencing my entire post (not just one point which in many cases obscurs the context) you don't fall under the broad brush.

To reiterate my initial statement, it was directed towards novices who were breeding right after HZP (i.e. NO VGP / one hunting season) of experience. I went on to say that the novice breeder SHOULD VGP in order to get a more complete insite into his first DD to make the best breeding decision that he can. And, if he's a first time DD owner should put at least as second season under his and his pup's belt to learn what hunting over a versatile dog is about.

I personally VGPd and hunted my first DD 4 seasons (before whelping my first litter), then spent nearly a year researching studs, spoke to 2 current and one former breed warden, a guy who at the time had a decent DD data base, the breeder of my dog and the owner of her sire... I practice(d) what I preach. I made a correction on my second litter. And, I spayed her (and her daughter before ever breeding) because I had a "temperament" issue that needed to be SOLVED for good... stopping that line was the begining.

Right now, I'd rather hunt, judge and research litters than run a kennel. I hunt once/twice a week and that doesn't justify to me more than one dog. And, it's infinitely easier to go to pubs and travel / vacation with only one dog which allows me maximum time to appreciate her for the relatively short time she'll be around.

I believe we're pretty much on the same page, based on how we approached breeding... but, let's keep the contexts of the posts complete lest a bunch of people start piling on for the wrong reasons.

Bob
3drahthaars
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Georgia Boy » Wed May 27, 2015 9:13 pm

There is a motion that has been drafted and will be proposed at the GNA annual meeting addressing this issue.
Home of the truly versatile hunting companion. http://www.vommountaincreek.com
Georgia Boy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby 3drahthaars » Fri May 29, 2015 12:10 pm

Georgia Boy wrote:There is a motion that has been drafted and will be proposed at the GNA annual meeting addressing this issue.

You know, it's kind of like DWI... why do we have to legislate something that should be common sense? And, as with laws they are only for those who naturally obey the law, others will find ways to cheat!

I think that peer pressure would be more effective on some.

And, maybe the free market on others (if new buyers gravitated to breeders who were the original owner/trainer/handler and breeders who only had Performance Breedings).

I won't hold my breath for a motion(s) to resolve this/these issues. For that to work you need the a significant majority of people who have "common sense" and who naturally obey laws, and if GNA is a statistical represention of the population of the US... well... let's just leave it at that.

3ds
3drahthaars
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby leadeyedbugger » Mon Jun 15, 2015 2:03 pm

So....The story that I have heard is that Limited registration on individual dog is ok in navdha, but all dogs, even those already registered in navhda have to converted to limited registration. And the group/club whatever that your registering with has to have some kind of limited registration. Is this what others are hearing???
leadeyedbugger
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby Freeze » Mon Jun 15, 2015 2:14 pm

leadeyedbugger wrote:So....The story that I have heard is that Limited registration on individual dog is ok in navdha, but all dogs, even those already registered in navhda have to converted to limited registration. And the group/club whatever that your registering with has to have some kind of limited registration. Is this what others are hearing???

That is what I have heard/read.
I have already called NAVHDA, to see about changing my pup to limited registration.

Here is what I have learned from NAVHDA (both the site and the call I made earlier today):

NAVHDA has an existing process to place breeding restrictions on a dog at the time of registration.
NAVHDA has a process to lift a breeding restriction from a dog currently registered.
They DO NOT have an existing process to add a breeding restriction to dogs which already exist within the registry .... which is what needs to be done before 7/1/2015 to maintain your standing with the VDD.

The lady I spoke with, from NAVHDA, was very friendly and took my information so that once she knew how they were going to handle this she would let me know.
I was not the first call that she had taken on the subject today when I called!

I will post back when I receive instructions on completing the process through NAVHDA.

-Freeze
Freeze
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby Freeze » Tue Jun 16, 2015 7:11 pm

As promised here's is the response I received today from NAVHDA:

There is going to be a message on the NAVDA facebook page but I’m emailing you because you called the office and wanted to know the procedure to comply with VDD ruling.

In order for NAVHDA to mark your dog breeding restricted you will need to fill out a single dog registration application in which I have attached for your convenience, just initial the box where it states breeding restricted, we will send you a duplicate pedigree showing the dog restricted we will also collect a $10.00 fee from you because of the duplicate pedigree we will be sending you. The reason we are asking for the signed application and the box initialed is because we need to keep documentation on file that this is what you want and that you the owner is putting the restriction on the dog.

The attachment was the standard single dog registration form.
Seems pretty straight forward.

I will populate the form with his NAVHDA information to avoid any confusion, so they know it is an existing registration.

-Freeze
Freeze
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby Freeze » Wed Jun 17, 2015 11:44 am

Well the process seems to be pretty easy to complete (I will know in a few days when I receive a restricted pedigree from NAVHDA).

SImply a matter of emailing the completed and signed form (I also scanned and emailed his NAVHDA pedigree), which includes initialing the "Breeding Restriction" box, As well as writing "Add Breed Restriction" to the top of the form.
Once the email was confirmed as received I called NAVHDA and provided payment over the phone.
They thanked me and said they would take care of it.

Once I made payment I sent the same documents to the chapter and group breed wardens, as instructed.

Everyone I have spoken to to get this sorted out has been very helpful.

-Freeze
Freeze
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby Freeze » Wed Jun 17, 2015 1:40 pm

Freeze wrote:Well the process seems to be pretty easy to complete (I will know in a few days when I receive a restricted pedigree from NAVHDA).

SImply a matter of emailing the completed and signed form (I also scanned and emailed his NAVHDA pedigree), which includes initialing the "Breeding Restriction" box, As well as writing "Add Breed Restriction" to the top of the form.
Once the email was confirmed as received I called NAVHDA and provided payment over the phone.
They thanked me and said they would take care of it.

Once I made payment I sent the same documents to the chapter and group breed wardens, as instructed.

Everyone I have spoken to to get this sorted out has been very helpful.

-Freeze

I received an email that this is NOT what was needed.
I was informed to send a copy of the revised NAVHDA Pedigree (once received) showing the breeding restriction.

-Freeze
Freeze
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby Duckdon » Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:26 pm

So, I have been out of touch for the past few weeks.
Today I sent in the breeding restriction paperwork for my 2 DD's to NAVHDA International with the $10 per dog fee. Also sent copies to Lynn Whitely and kept copies with me on file.
With all the talk about NAVHDA, what about AKC? If a dog is registered with AKC do we need to follow the same procedure? I looked on the AKC web site but did not see any such form. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Don
Forgive me for being arrogant. I own 4 Drahthaars.
Tundramoor Drahthaar Kennel
Don Lietzau, Chugiak, Alaska
Duckdon
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby DrahtsundBraats » Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:05 pm

Duckdon,
I think Lynn is asking you to forward a copy of the new pedigree with the restriction...not just your request for the change.
You need to call the AKC Registrar's office. Years ago, the only person that could put a Breeding Restriction on a dog was the Breeder,
but maybe things have changed. The AKC doesn't move as fast as NAVHDA....advise you contact ASAP.
DrahtsundBraats
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Freeze » Wed Jun 24, 2015 4:07 am

Duckdon wrote:So, I have been out of touch for the past few weeks.
Today I sent in the breeding restriction paperwork for my 2 DD's to NAVHDA International with the $10 per dog fee. Also sent copies to Lynn Whitely and kept copies with me on file.
With all the talk about NAVHDA, what about AKC? If a dog is registered with AKC do we need to follow the same procedure? I looked on the AKC web site but did not see any such form. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Don

Duckdon,
I did the same thing with the NAVHDA paperwork and found out ....

DrahtsundBraats wrote:Duckdon,
I think Lynn is asking you to forward a copy of the new pedigree with the restriction...not just your request for the change.
You need to call the AKC Registrar's office. Years ago, the only person that could put a Breeding Restriction on a dog was the Breeder,
but maybe things have changed. The AKC doesn't move as fast as NAVHDA....advise you contact ASAP.

... That D&B is correct. They want a copy of the new NAVHDA pedigree showing the restriction.

I emailed my documents and then called to provide payment. It only took NAVHDA 1 day to make the change, but I have not yet received my new NAVHDA pedigree via mail.

Once the change is made then the online pedigree will show the restriction.
You can download this pedigee and forward to Lynn for his records ... That is what I did and it seemed fine with Lynn.

Unfortunately I cannot help with the AKC, but would agree with D&B that they tend to move much slower on administrative tasks.

-Freeze
Freeze
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby Duckdon » Wed Jun 24, 2015 9:16 am

Thanks guys. I looked at my AKC registration papers and looks like it expired in 2014. I will call AKC and check it out.
Don
Duckdon
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Duckdon » Wed Jun 24, 2015 11:52 am

Called AKC. They don't have a clue as to how we will handle the $$$$ that we need to get through to un-register or put a breeding restriction on my dogs with AKC. Someone is supposed to call me back............
Anyone here have an AKC registered DD so you could run their AKC Pointing Dog Trials? I mean, that is why my DD's are Registered with AKC, .............to test and enjoy spending time with my dogs.
Don and Crew
Duckdon
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Duckdon » Wed Jun 24, 2015 1:27 pm

FYI:
If you need to breed restrict an already AKC registered dog you can't do it with AKC.
What they advised me was to write a request to the following.
The American Kennel Club
PO Box 900058
Raleigh, NC. 27675-9058

And ask to have your dog, name and AKC registration number removed from their system and tell them why you are making the request.
Sending it off today with a copy to Lynn Whiteley.
Can't help but think its a bunch of unnecessary, bureaucratic crap.

Don and Crew
Duckdon
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby gusto » Fri Jun 26, 2015 1:05 pm

Can someone give me the Coles Notes version of what changes they have made to the breeding requirements and testing?
gusto
Master Poster
Master Poster

PreviousNext

Return to German and European Testing Systems