Best Pigeon Feeder & Waterer

General Sporting Dog Discussion

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Best Pigeon Feeder & Waterer

Postby Grousethunder » Wed Apr 26, 2006 8:14 pm

I am sick of them crapping in the water and tipping the small food dish over!!!

What feeders & waterers will work the best for pigeons?

Also, what type of feed will make their droppings drier?

Thanks!
Grousethunder
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Pigeon feeder

Postby Mrgrnthumb » Wed Apr 26, 2006 9:00 pm

The best product is Less Mess a quail recall feeder. I have been using it for my pigeons for some time. No waste or bad water, holds up to 3 weeks of food and water. Depending on number of birds.
Mrgrnthumb
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby Calvinator » Wed Apr 26, 2006 10:17 pm

I use old plastic bleach bottles for both food and water. I cut a hole in the side, so the pigeons can access the contents. It's cheap, easy and has a handle. For about 25 pigeons, I have 2 feeders and 2 waterers. I change the water daily.

Calvin
Calvinator
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby ohiogsp » Thu Apr 27, 2006 3:46 am

Nothing will make their droping dryer because they don't urinate. Go to http://www.globalpigeon.com/gps.php the "7 litter bullet waterer" will fix most your problems. You can use this for water and feed and it is a good setup.
ohiogsp
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby Rick Hall » Thu Apr 27, 2006 5:33 am

I'm another fan of the 7 liter bullet feeder/waterer. Some prefer homemade PVC pipe water "tanks" with nipple type outlets, but while they can be built with much greater capacity, I'm not so good at remembering to refill one. The bullet type is translucent to let you see what's left in it at a glance.

And, on the advice of more knowledgable pigeon guys, I've found that switching from a pelletized diet to one that is primarily grain dries/tightens up the birds' droppings considerably. Unlike the plaster of pelletized feed's pigeon pies, grain droppings mostly roll off the perches.

Because I'm too lazy to offer a ballanced grain and legume diet to insure they get all they need, like the big kids do, I provide a bullet feeder of high protien "pigeon" or "laying" pellets the birds sometimes use to suppliment their rice (cause it's handy/free here, but corn works about the same) diet. Think you'll find, as I have, that offered both the birds much prefer whole grains, and you'll be doing much less scraping.

If I wan't concerned about maximizing new bird production, I'd probably not bother feeding anything but a grain of some type.
Rick Hall
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby wesleyc6 » Thu Apr 27, 2006 8:03 am

I use the 7 litter bullet too. I have one in my flight loft for water and I feed them daily after catching them up to fly, so I didn't want a bullet feeder for that since they are the best in the world as far as ergonomics when needing to carry it. smile. I just use a cheap metal feeder for that and remove it after 20 or 30 minutes.

I need one more for my breeding loft though. It is a nice feeder and cheap! I ordered a pigeon carrier from Global this week. I ordered it one day and it arrived the next day before lunch!
wesleyc6
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby KYgsp » Thu Apr 27, 2006 8:20 am

I use these with great luck, occationally they will get lucky and mess in one but it is rare.

http://randallburkey.com/fullsize.asp?p ... &item=4082

I have them stuck through the back wall of my coop, strategically postioned back up under my nesting boxes. Two 5 gallon buckets gravity feed into them. I just mix a little poultry dewormer into the buckets once a month and keep them filled up and simply rinse them out on occation.

As far as feeders go I have not found anything yet that they can't crap in and that will feed 50 birds, so I use two of the chicken feeders from Tractor Supply. I just dump it out and rinse if off if necessary.
KYgsp
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

feeders

Postby Grousethunder » Thu Apr 27, 2006 8:32 pm

How long will the 7 liters last for water and food for 10 adult homers?

Also, i can't find the "less mess" brand on the internet. Does anyone know who sells it. Google can't seem to find it.

Thank you!
Grousethunder
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby Rick Hall » Fri Apr 28, 2006 5:12 am

There are usually 12 breeders, 6-10 young working birds, however many squab and a couple of ducks in my loft, and the 7 liter waterer lasts a few days, but I never paid closer attention.

Can't say how long 7 liters of feed might last, because I only use one for supplimantal feeding of high protien pellets, which lasts weeks, rather than days. My birds' primary feedings are grain poured into a heavy wooden trough they can't tip and aren't able to flip/scatter much waste out of, and the amount is determined by what the residents will clean up plus enough left over to have something waiting for the working birds when they get home. The notion being that the working birds will home better/faster if they come to expect there'll be a grain treat waiting on them.

But in any event, if all you used was a 7-liter waterer and a 7-liter feeder, I'd think each should last several days with just 10 big birds.
Rick Hall
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

LessMess

Postby Grousethunder » Fri Apr 28, 2006 9:56 pm

I found the LessMess feeder/waterers.

http://www.qualitywildlife.com/app4.asp

They look nice, but at $75 a piece, i think i will try the plastic bullet type first. Thanks for the input.
Grousethunder
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Return to General Discussion