Sussex Spaniel Breed

General Sporting Dog Discussion

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Sussex Spaniel Breed

Postby WiskeyJaR » Sun Sep 23, 2018 1:43 pm

Anyone have first hand experience with this breed, hunting, family dog? What are the pros and cons?

Thanks folks.
WiskeyJaR
Started
Started

Re: Sussex Spaniel Breed

Postby orhunter » Sun Sep 23, 2018 5:42 pm

Con.... They aren’t a pointer.
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby JONOV » Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:51 pm

I’ve never really heard of any hunting...at least not in the US.
If your looking for a small brown spaniel, get a Boykin, English Cocker, even a Clumber. Clumber spaniels are the butt of many a joke but they earn the privilege of being the butt of said jokes because some do hunt.
JONOV
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby WiskeyJaR » Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:43 pm

Currently have a Boykin 5yr female, she is a hunting machine, works both uppland feather and fur. Am curious on another breed is all.
WiskeyJaR
Started
Started

Postby crackerd » Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:35 am

WiskeyJaR wrote:Anyone have first hand experience with this breed, hunting, family dog? What are the pros and cons?

ron12-31-10hunt 494b.jpg

What you got in mind? - with consistent and capable training, Sussex can get any gundog job done.

MG
crackerd
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby WiskeyJaR » Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:04 pm

Are they a good "Versatile" breed, in that they will hunt both fur and feather? Are they a hardy breed for rough and cold country, do they handle snow? Are they good to hang in the house during the evenings after a hard hunt? Are they close hunters for a limited walking hunter?

P.S. how common are they in the states?
WiskeyJaR
Started
Started

Postby crackerd » Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:01 pm

WiskeyJaR wrote:Are they a good "Versatile" breed, in that they will hunt both fur and feather? Yup. Are they a hardy breed for rough and cold country, do they handle snow? Yup.
100_1987.jpg

Are they good to hang in the house during the evenings after a hard hunt? Yup squared - they are household dogs before and after work. Are they close hunters for a limited walking hunter? Yup again - but they also can be trained to run a powerful straight line at a distance, and handle casts very well, too, for blind retrieves, land or water.

P.S. how common are they in the states? Working Sussex? Almost nonexistent. But if you've got a Boykin already, a Suss can be a nifty complement to make up a brace of working spaniels
Old girls.jpg

- if trained.
crackerd
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby WiskeyJaR » Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:38 pm

Thanks Crackered, sounds like another fun little breed.
WiskeyJaR
Started
Started

Postby crackerd » Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:38 am

Wiskey, is that "Wiskey" as in Wisconsin, or "Wiskey" as in the name of the second Boykin spaniel I ever knew, over in Jersey?

If you decide to pursue a Sussex, which is a key Boykin ancestor according to some, keep us posted on how (and where!) your search goes.

MG
crackerd
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Highlander » Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:01 pm

Have not hunted behind this particular breed but have hunted with very similar English Cocker and the Russian Hunting Spaniel (which basically is a mix of the cocker, Sussex, springier and some English setter. was developed in USSR for accommodating hunters living in cities).

Having said this I can say that how much we underestimate spaniels. They are superb water and forest dog. Incredible and tireless hunter on the woodcock and I assume on the grouse too.
People also successfully use them on other small game too such as pheasants and snipes.
They are small, with a natural retrieving ability and easy trainability. You can literally put them in a bag if needed.

I am quite sure the Sussex is just as good as the other spaniels.

Here is the podcast where a fellow hunter talks the English spaniels. I know not quite the same, but still very interesting.

https://www.stitcher.com/podcast/the-hu ... e/53932817
The hunter from highlands
Highlander
Started
Started

Return to General Discussion