Garmin or GoPro

General Sporting Dog Discussion

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Garmin or GoPro

Postby SwitchGrassWPG » Sun Aug 19, 2018 2:50 pm

Looking for a hands-free video camera to wear when working dogs. Considering either the Garmin or GoPro...thoughts?
The only thing worse than a bad dog, is no dog at all...
SwitchGrassWPG
Master Poster
Master Poster

Re: Garmin or GoPro

Postby Dmog » Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:00 pm

I don’t have experience with the the Garmin. I’ve used a Go Pro attached to my hat for some good hunting vidoes. It worked well, good wide angle, wanted to mount it on the dog for his view but haven’t pursued a harness for it. Go Pro works well in the water also, swam with one in my hand in Mexico through some caves. Good under water videos.
Mog: Half man, half woolly dog.
Dmog
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby carramrod » Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:16 pm

I'm only partial to Garmin because I could control it with the alpha. I think they're both good though. I wanted the vest and hook up to go on the back of the dog last year but then realized I wouldn't use it enough and bought a gun instead.
carramrod
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby jfwhit » Wed Aug 22, 2018 12:42 am

I have a garmin about three years old. Never liked it. I hope they are better now. It was too heavy and bounced around on my head. And was too shaky. I tried everything. And battery life was poor. Seemed to only last a couple of hours. So when I’d hunt all day. Only the first part was recorded. So I tried turning it on and off. Better but eventually gave up. I also have the dog part. It also wasn’t very useful. My Brittany is 50 pounds and it’s too big for him. It would sag to one side. The camera mounts on top or the side. The weight of the camera made it really sag. He would run through a thicket and get stuck. And turn the unit off. You have to be fairly close to remotely turn it on with the Alpha. It bounced around on the dog and the noise of going through the grass became annoying. May work better on a lab actually. I’m really not wanting to bash the VIRB. I thought it would be cool. I’ve considered the GoPro. I like the videos out there. And I’d like to get a good recording of my dogs for myself. They may be better today.
jfwhit
Started
Started

Return to General Discussion