Is my little girl coming into her first heat?

General Sporting Dog Discussion

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Re: Is my little girl coming into her first heat?

Postby ryanr » Sat Sep 29, 2018 3:58 pm

So she's finally coming into her first heat for real now (very eventful evening last night, she got into her first porcupine and I realized she was in heat.) No bleeding yet but it's very obvious. Last night a today she's swelling up back there and my neutered male is sniffing and licking back there and just won't leave her alone. He tries to mount her but she's having none of it so he just walks around with a dumb look on his face and humping the air. Any advice? Because they are crated next to each other when I'm away and right know I can't put him in a complete seperate room, only the kitchen. I'm mostly hoping he doesn't try to break out of his crate when I'm at work other than that it's not a big deal that I can't handle.
Schwarzwald's Hazel, NA 105 Prize 2
Quade vom Buffeltaler, NA 112 Prize 1
ryanr
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby hicntry » Sat Sep 29, 2018 8:24 pm

So it was a uti 3 mo ago from excessive time in the crate. Why would you get a second dog if you already had one you didn't know how to train to be in the house....especially since females are so much more prone to UTI's. Just curious. By the way, neutered males don't get to worked up over females in heat. Doubt your male is going to break out of his kennel over this.
Ignorance can be fixed but stupid is forever.
Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible IF you don't know what you are talking about.

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Jim Beam in one hand, Airedale in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
hicntry
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby flitecontrol » Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:54 pm

hicntry wrote:So it was a uti 3 mo ago from excessive time in the crate. Why would you get a second dog if you already had one you didn't know how to train to be in the house....especially since females are so much more prone to UTI's. Just curious. By the way, neutered males don't get to worked up over females in heat. Doubt your male is going to break out of his kennel over this.

What about non-neuterd males with neutered females?
I've had several really good dogs, but none were perfect. Neither am I, so keep that in mind!
flitecontrol
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby hicntry » Sun Sep 30, 2018 12:09 am

flitecontrol wrote:
hicntry wrote:So it was a uti 3 mo ago from excessive time in the crate. Why would you get a second dog if you already had one you didn't know how to train to be in the house....especially since females are so much more prone to UTI's. Just curious. By the way, neutered males don't get to worked up over females in heat. Doubt your male is going to break out of his kennel over this.

What about non-neuterd males with neutered females?

Intact males will mount spayed females, neutered males, adolescent males and just about anything else that is handy.
Ignorance can be fixed but stupid is forever.
Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible IF you don't know what you are talking about.

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Jim Beam in one hand, Airedale in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
hicntry
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby ryanr » Sun Sep 30, 2018 1:00 pm

hicntry wrote:Why would you get a second dog if you already had one you didn't know how to train to be in the house....especially since females are so much more prone to UTI's. Just curious.

Why? Mostly so you would have something to comment on.

Might have been a UTI, might've been something slightly toxic since the symptoms disappeared within 24hrs. Haven't had any issues since. It was also a day where it was very hot and I got home unexpectedly much later than normal. Thanks for the diagnosis though.

BTW, she got into her first porcupine too Friday night. 7 or 8 quills in the nose. Got em all out but 3, she kept squirming too much by then so after a losing effort I finally took her to the nearest 24hr vet. 3 vet techs held her and the 4th plucked them out. Only $31.50. Next morning she did 5 miles just ripping around the state gamelands. And again this morning.
Schwarzwald's Hazel, NA 105 Prize 2
Quade vom Buffeltaler, NA 112 Prize 1
ryanr
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby mastercaster » Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:33 am

ryanr wrote:
hicntry wrote:Why would you get a second dog if you already had one you didn't know how to train to be in the house....especially since females are so much more prone to UTI's. Just curious.

Might have been a UTI, might've been something slightly toxic since the symptoms disappeared within 24hrs. Haven't had any issues since. It was also a day where it was very hot and I got home unexpectedly much later than normal. Thanks for the diagnosis though.

BTW, she got into her first porcupine too Friday night. 7 or 8 quills in the nose. Got em all out but 3, she kept squirming too much by then so after a losing effort I finally took her to the nearest 24hr vet. 3 vet techs held her and the 4th plucked them out. Only $31.50. Next morning she did 5 miles just ripping around the state gamelands. And again this morning.

You dog owners in the States are lucky you don't get gouged for vet visits! Up here in BC if you take your dog in you may as well start by laying a $100 bucks on the table. I've had a couple of issues, nothing major, where I thought I might want to take my griff in but they sorted themselves out in a couple of days.

How old was your female when she finally went into heat? Mine was 14 1/2 months of age.

Another question,,,,aren't your dogs old enough to give them the run of the house or at least the run of the kitchen or another room? I try not to be away any longer from mine than 5-6 hours but I've been giving mine the run of the downstairs since she was 8 months old with no issues/bad behaviour. Of course I had to build her up to that over time. On the days that I couldn't be home in less than 8-9 hours I always got someone to pop in and let them out for a pee and a short walk.
mastercaster
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby JONOV » Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:44 pm

mastercaster wrote:
ryanr wrote:

You dog owners in the States are lucky you don't get gouged for vet visits! Up here in BC if you take your dog in you may as well start by laying a $100 bucks on the table. I've had a couple of issues, nothing major, where I thought I might want to take my griff in but they sorted themselves out in a couple of days.

How old was your female when she finally went into heat? Mine was 14 1/2 months of age.

Another question,,,,aren't your dogs old enough to give them the run of the house or at least the run of the kitchen or another room? I try not to be away any longer from mine than 5-6 hours but I've been giving mine the run of the downstairs since she was 8 months old with no issues/bad behaviour. Of course I had to build her up to that over time. On the days that I couldn't be home in less than 8-9 hours I always got someone to pop in and let them out for a pee and a short walk.

Notice that he didn't have to see the actual Veterinarian. Typically you expect at least $100 to walk through the door of a 24 hr vet here and see someone that went to Vet school, before they do much.

And different strokes as far as free roam of the house. It was important to my wife (and me to a lesser extent) that the dog be trustworthy but also that he could roam. She likes (as do I) that he keeps watch.
JONOV
Master Poster
Master Poster

Previous

Return to General Discussion