Which breed(s) fit

General Sporting Dog Discussion

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Which breed(s) fit

Postby brybet76 » Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:20 pm

I grew up hunting with GSP's. We had 4 generations from the same line, yet with the fourth one it became evident that I could no longer put the proper time into him. I was in my early twenties then and even though I still work a good amount, I no longer go out all that much and spend the majority of my free time home. Yet I do not know which breed would fit me. Besides a morning bathroom walk, mid day bathroom, and nighttime walk, I will not be able to excercise her until 4-6 p.m. for a daily clip of a half hour. Then I can put about 45 minutes of petting her while watching TV when unwinding. I need a dog who can flush turkeys and pointing is a bonus. I've read all over and the best dog to fit the living situation is a greyhound, but I don't think they can hunt turkeys. And all dogs i have found which can do my type of hunting need closer to an hour of exercise daily. Does anyone know a breed which fits or know if Greyhounds can turkey hunt? Thanks
brybet76
Pup
Pup

Re: Which breed(s) fit

Postby 3drahthaars » Sat Jun 09, 2018 5:37 pm

Boykin...
3drahthaars
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby orhunter » Sat Jun 09, 2018 5:45 pm

+1
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby flitecontrol » Sun Jun 10, 2018 4:11 pm

Boykin or cocker spaniel. With limited time, you might want to consider exercising the dog while riding a bike and having the dog run beside. Easy on you, and the dog gets more exercise in a limited time. I've done that for years with GSP, Griff and GWP/Draht. When it's warm, you need to make sure the dog doesn't overheat. Mine have learned to automatically go to the hose so they can be wetted down before and after their run.
I've had several really good dogs, but none were perfect. Neither am I, so keep that in mind!
flitecontrol
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby JONOV » Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:51 am

3drahthaars wrote:Boykin...

Bingo...About the only dog that's bred for Turkey hunting partly.
JONOV
Master Poster
Master Poster

Return to General Discussion