Pro Trainers and worst case scenario plans

General Sporting Dog Discussion

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Pro Trainers and worst case scenario plans

Postby JONOV » Thu May 24, 2018 11:22 am

A recent news story about a formerly well regarded pro trainer got me thinking, for anyone that has worked in or around that business, what's the contingency plan for worst case scenario situations? It sounds odd, but it really shouldn't. Supposedly, the one that made news, the trainer's wife left him and he was hospitalized, and the dogs ended up in rough shape, with several that apparently died from distemper. The distemper could have been prevented with better record checking and keeping.

I imagine that the bigger operations, that have multiple employees, this is less of a problem. But, many trainers I've talked to seem to be one person operations. I sent my dog for a month, obviously to someone I trust. And, there was enough "community" around him (neighbors that trained their dogs with him sometimes, etc) that I think the dogs would have got fed and everything, but the question remains. What do most have in place for such a scenario (illness or injury...) If you've sent your dog away for training, is it a question you've asked?
JONOV
Master Poster
Master Poster

Re: Pro Trainers and worst case scenario plans

Postby GONEHUNTIN' » Thu May 24, 2018 2:35 pm

I've lost track of that story, but it was my view he should have had charges brought against him. Most trainers are knee deep in clients continually. They love being around the kennel and the dog's. Most pro's also have a vet they send the dog's too. The guy could have called SOMEONE and had them care for the dog's then notify the clients to come pick them up. It's a strange story and I don't see how the guy didn't have someone he could have called. His wife should also be held complicit if she were still there when the dog's were abandoned. Frankly, unless I don't know the whole story, the SOB can burn in Hell as far as I'm concerned.
I just hate seeing birds die of natural causes unless I'm that natural cause.
GONEHUNTIN'
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby GONEHUNTIN' » Thu May 24, 2018 3:03 pm

Duplicate
Last edited by GONEHUNTIN' on Thu May 24, 2018 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GONEHUNTIN'
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby GONEHUNTIN' » Thu May 24, 2018 3:03 pm

duplicate
Last edited by GONEHUNTIN' on Thu May 24, 2018 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GONEHUNTIN'
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby GONEHUNTIN' » Thu May 24, 2018 3:04 pm

Do you have a recent link to that story?
GONEHUNTIN'
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby JONOV » Thu May 24, 2018 4:08 pm

GONEHUNTIN' wrote:I've lost track of that story, but it was my view he should have had charges brought against him. Most trainers are knee deep in clients continually. They love being around the kennel and the dog's. Most pro's also have a vet they send the dog's too. The guy could have called SOMEONE and had them care for the dog's then notify the clients to come pick them up. It's a strange story and I don't see how the guy didn't have someone he could have called. His wife should also be held complicit if she were still there when the dog's were abandoned. Frankly, unless I don't know the whole story, the SOB can burn in Hell as far as I'm concerned.

http://www.nonpareilonline.com/news/reg ... b1232.html

That's the one where he mentioned being in the Hospital. I'm not saying he shouldn't have criminal charges brought against him, but the question remains. I am wondering how many have thought about it, or asked about it, or have been trainers and had to deal with such a situation.
JONOV
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby GONEHUNTIN' » Thu May 24, 2018 4:15 pm

So here's the thing. The dog's were malnourished. That means he had been starving them for a LONG time. Distemper? Every kennel REQUIRES Rabies, Distemper, Lepto and Kennel Cough before the dog's are admitted. Looks to me like a guy that got tired of being a pro and abandoned. There is absolutely NO excuse for what he did. He deserves as much jail time as they can give him. I have no empathy for him at all.
GONEHUNTIN'
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Misskiwi67 » Fri May 25, 2018 10:31 am

GONEHUNTIN' wrote:So here's the thing. The dog's were malnourished. That means he had been starving them for a LONG time. Distemper? Every kennel REQUIRES Rabies, Distemper, Lepto and Kennel Cough before the dog's are admitted. Looks to me like a guy that got tired of being a pro and abandoned. There is absolutely NO excuse for what he did. He deserves as much jail time as they can give him. I have no empathy for him at all.

Agreed 110%

Every case of Distemper I have encountered was unvaccinated puppies housed in conditions where raccoons had access to the food. Highly unlikely this was Distemper, and if it was, it was still secondary to poor care.
Vivian II vom Jagdkonig- VJP 71 HZP 191 VGP 262 Prize III
Arabella vom Hoheren Boden- VJP 74 HZP 181/189 VGP 281 Prize I
Harvest Moon Drahthaars- vom Herbstmond
Misskiwi67
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby JONOV » Fri May 25, 2018 11:44 am

Misskiwi67 wrote:
GONEHUNTIN' wrote:So here's the thing. The dog's were malnourished. That means he had been starving them for a LONG time. Distemper? Every kennel REQUIRES Rabies, Distemper, Lepto and Kennel Cough before the dog's are admitted. Looks to me like a guy that got tired of being a pro and abandoned. There is absolutely NO excuse for what he did. He deserves as much jail time as they can give him. I have no empathy for him at all.

Agreed 110%

Every case of Distemper I have encountered was unvaccinated puppies housed in conditions where raccoons had access to the food. Highly unlikely this was Distemper, and if it was, it was still secondary to poor care.

I didn't mean to turn this into a conversation about the aforementioned case specifically. I certainly didn't mean to bash trainers as a whole, if it came off that way. Far from it. I just meant to ask, how many have or had plans in place to deal with a major life interruption (ie Hospitalization)...Or dealt with a major life interruption while they had clients dogs in their care and how they dealt with it.
JONOV
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby orhunter » Fri May 25, 2018 1:45 pm

Many of us here know of another case.
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Return to General Discussion