questions on testing my dog

General Sporting Dog Discussion

Moderator: Moderator Pack

questions on testing my dog

Postby Reddog » Mon May 21, 2018 2:50 pm

First, I have a VDD registered male. He is a little over a year old. I would like to run him in the VJP. I have been looking for a test in the northwest. It looks like there are none scheduled at this time. I know this is typically a spring test. Did I miss the boat or will there be more scheduled???

Second, I have thought about having him fixed. Will the VDD-GNA or JGHV test a fixed dog. I understand the tests are geared toward qualifications to breed. I have no interest in breeding or maintaining a stud dog. I just want to have fun and have a training goal.

Thanks,

Reddog
Reddog
Pup
Pup

Re: questions on testing my dog

Postby Duckdon » Mon May 21, 2018 5:37 pm

Reddog wrote:First, I have a VDD registered male. He is a little over a year old. I would like to run him in the VJP. I have been looking for a test in the northwest. It looks like there are none scheduled at this time. I know this is typically a spring test. Did I miss the boat or will there be more scheduled???

Second, I have thought about having him fixed. Will the VDD-GNA or JGHV test a fixed dog. I understand the tests are geared toward qualifications to breed. I have no interest in breeding or maintaining a stud dog. I just want to have fun and have a training goal.

Thanks,

Reddog

I would call my breeder regarding any local VDD Testing with regards to your dog. The VJP testing season is over for 2018 as far as I am aware.
You can run a Neutered dog in the VJP, HZP and VGP.
Don and Crew.
Forgive me for being arrogant. I own 4 Drahthaars.
Tundramoor Drahthaar Kennel
Don Lietzau, Chugiak, Alaska
Duckdon
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby orhunter » Mon May 21, 2018 7:02 pm

Don’t have him fixed, at least not for another year. Don’t do it just because you can, have a reason. A good one.
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby ryanr » Mon May 21, 2018 7:19 pm

orhunter wrote:Don’t have him fixed, at least not for another year. Don’t do it just because you can, have a reason. A good one.

I hear ya but he does, he's not interested in using his dog to breed IF it qualifies. But who knows maybe he has the next great stud dog and it wouldn't hurt to wait until it's 2 and he knows whether it's even considered breed worthy.
Schwarzwald's Hazel, NA 105 Prize 2
Quade vom Buffeltaler, NA 112 Prize 1
ryanr
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby orhunter » Mon May 21, 2018 7:36 pm

I hate to see males mutilated. Not wanting to breed them isn’t a good reason to me. But I’m not Reddog. Just like folks to think long and hard about this.
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby ForestDump » Mon May 21, 2018 9:05 pm

Personally im not a fan of neutering except for health issues. Just seems like a needless op. I’ve always believed responsibility prevents breedings. Yeah there are accidents but the accidents are always preventable.
ForestDump
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby Range Maggot » Mon May 21, 2018 10:08 pm

I hear ya but he does, he's not interested in using his dog to breed IF it qualifies. But who knows maybe he has the next great stud dog and it wouldn't hurt to wait until it's 2 and he knows whether it's even considered breed worthy.[/quote]

Agreed, if the dog can help the overall genetic pool you should always consider it for a stud dog. Besides, Neutering and spaying prior to full growth maturity (at least 2) can have some serious health effects.
Range Maggot
Pup
Pup

Postby ABurkdoll » Tue May 22, 2018 8:27 am

ForestDump wrote:Personally im not a fan of neutering except for health issues. Just seems like a needless op. I’ve always believed responsibility prevents breedings. Yeah there are accidents but the accidents are always preventable.

Agreed. I don't see the point of there isn't a good reason.
ABurkdoll
Started
Started

Return to General Discussion