Kennel Size

General Sporting Dog Discussion

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Kennel Size

Postby ejm4 » Wed May 09, 2018 7:56 pm

I just received my Rough Tough kennel. I ordered the intermediate for our pup. She is 9 months and 55lbs. This kennel is smaller than the crate she has when we are away from home. I placed her in the R/T this evening and she has enough (not a lot) of room to turn around. If she sits in the kennel, she has to lower her head so it does not hit the top.

Should I order the next size up or is this plenty of room?
ejm4
Started
Started

Re: Kennel Size

Postby blue04 » Wed May 09, 2018 8:42 pm

Is this for home or vehicle?

For home a like a bit larger crate. In the truck, I want a crate that's just big enough for the dog to stand up in (ducking their head is fine) and turn around in. Having less space means the dog doesn't have as much room to flop around in the crate in case of evasive maneuvers.

I can't guarantee that my theories are sound, but they've worked ok so far. Hopefully others will chime in.
blue04
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby GRIFF MAN » Thu May 10, 2018 7:29 am

blue04 wrote:Is this for home or vehicle?

For home a like a bit larger crate. In the truck, I want a crate that's just big enough for the dog to stand up in (ducking their head is fine) and turn around in. Having less space means the dog doesn't have as much room to flop around in the crate in case of evasive maneuvers.

I can't guarantee that my theories are sound, but they've worked ok so far. Hopefully others will chime in.

X2 Agreed

I have 5 RT inter. sized kennels and they work great. Disclaimer, I only have 1 dog that is 55 + lbs and she is 12 y/o not 9 months !! :lol:
GriffMan
GRIFF MAN * LOVING LIFE AND MY GRIFF!

Aspen Glo's Kennels
Wirehaired Pointing Griffons
www.aspenglokennel.com
GRIFF MAN
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby ReefWhooligan » Thu May 10, 2018 7:41 am

My bigger dog is 65lbs and still fits in the intermediate. For traveling the intermediate should be fine and is probably safer than a larger one. That being said I still have ended up with two larges because the boss just doesn't accept that her boys are OK in an intermediate :lol:
ReefWhooligan
Pup
Pup

Postby ryanr » Thu May 10, 2018 8:46 am

ejm4 wrote:I just received my Rough Tough kennel. I ordered the intermediate for our pup. She is 9 months and 55lbs. This kennel is smaller than the crate she has when we are away from home. I placed her in the R/T this evening and she has enough (not a lot) of room to turn around. If she sits in the kennel, she has to lower her head so it does not hit the top.

Should I order the next size up or is this plenty of room?

NO, you have the right size. This is a crate for safe traveling in a vehicle, correct? The dog should have exactly what yours has, just enough room to get in, turn around a lay down. My 70lb Drahthaar rides in the Intermediate Rough Tough crate. And yes, he has a much bigger wire crate for in the house.
Schwarzwald's Hazel, NA 105 Prize 2
Quade vom Buffeltaler, NA 112 Prize 1
ryanr
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby ejm4 » Thu May 10, 2018 11:31 am

Yes, this is for travel. She has a larger crate in the house while we are away.

Thanks for the info!
ejm4
Started
Started

Postby bhennessy » Tue May 15, 2018 8:00 am

Not sure if you are going to fly the dog in the kennel, but the airlines are exacting about the size of the kennel they will accept. Basically the dog needs to be able to turn around (not a big problem) and be able to stand up without crowding its head against the top of the kennel. I had to get the large size Gunner Kennel for my older griff, who is a big boy, in order to satisfy this second requirement. Its huge and heavy. My younger griff is smaller and the intermediate size works fine for him.
bhennessy
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Return to General Discussion