Griffiondor (WPG x Lab) a myth?

General Sporting Dog Discussion

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Griffiondor (WPG x Lab) a myth?

Postby Jstruck » Sun Apr 08, 2018 2:58 pm

Does anyone breed or know of someone who breeds wirehaired pointing griff / Labrador mixes (“Griffiondors”)? I’ve only seen mention of these, but haven’t found anyone that claims to breed them. Do they even exist? I am very interested in getting one if so. Thanks for any info or leads you have!
Last edited by Jstruck on Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jstruck
Pup
Pup
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2018 2:53 pm

Re: Griffindor (WPG x Lab) a myth?

Postby SwitchGrassWPG » Sun Apr 08, 2018 6:14 pm

Sure hope none are being bred on purpose. Too many WPGs are being bred as it is.
The only thing worse than a bad dog, is no dog at all...
User avatar
SwitchGrassWPG
Master Poster
Master Poster
 
Posts: 393
Joined: Sun May 21, 2006 8:08 pm
Location: Oklahoma

Re: Griffindor (WPG x Lab) a myth?

Postby orhunter » Sun Apr 08, 2018 6:54 pm

Doom to those who would.....

Some sick minds out there....
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster
 
Posts: 7545
Joined: Wed Sep 04, 2002 12:29 am
Location: nw oregon

Re: Griffindor (WPG x Lab) a myth?

Postby Jstruck » Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:20 pm

I’m new to dog ownership in general, exploring it. What would be bad about that mix?
Jstruck
Pup
Pup
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2018 2:53 pm

Re: Griffindor (WPG x Lab) a myth?

Postby Meridiandave » Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:17 pm

Jstruck wrote:I’m new to dog ownership in general, exploring it. What would be bad about that mix?


#1. You are mixing a pointing breed with a flushing breed.
Most likely lose pointing instinct on first generation.

I hope nobody is doing it on purpose.
Meridiandave
Senior Poster
Senior Poster
 
Posts: 188
Joined: Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:40 am

Re: Griffindor (WPG x Lab) a myth?

Postby Jstruck » Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:23 pm

Meridiandave wrote:
Jstruck wrote:I’m new to dog ownership in general, exploring it. What would be bad about that mix?


#1. You are mixing a pointing breed with a flushing breed.
Most likely lose pointing instinct on first generation.

I hope nobody is doing it on purpose.


Maybe I should clarify that I’m not intending to hunt. I grew up around pointers and labs (relatives had them). So I enjoy both breeds, but now I’m looking for a family dog. We have land and places to swim, but I’m not a hunter (except I shoot the squirrels haha). So I heard about this hybrid and wondered if it really existed. So on that note, would the personality be bad as a family dog?
Last edited by Jstruck on Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jstruck
Pup
Pup
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2018 2:53 pm

Re: Griffiondor (WPG x Lab) a myth?

Postby Christie » Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:26 pm

Jstruck,

The other issue is why these "designer" dogs are being bred. It is for the money $$$$. This means there is no quality in these breedings - the breeders don't care how the dogs turn out genetically with respect to congenial defects and diseases. There is no hybrid vigor here (that concept is a myth). These types of breeders generally aren't making sure both parents are disease free in the eyes, hips, elbows, blood, teeth, etc.

Don't get a designer dog. You are wasting your money - on the price of the dog and future vet bills you are likely to incur.
KC's Perpetual Motion - "Storm"
Darcy's Angel
Support the Men and Women in our Armed Forces. :usa
User avatar
Christie
Administrator
Administrator
 
Posts: 374
Joined: Sun Sep 01, 2002 11:02 pm
Location: Eastern Massachusetts

Re: Griffiondor (WPG x Lab) a myth?

Postby Jstruck » Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:30 pm

Christie wrote:Jstruck,

The other issue is why these "designer" dogs are being bred. It is for the money $$$$. This means there is no quality in these breedings - the breeders don't care how the dogs turn out genetically with respect to congenial defects and diseases. There is no hybrid vigor here (that concept is a myth). These types of breeders generally aren't making sure both parents are disease free in the eyes, hips, elbows, blood, teeth, etc.

Don't get a designer dog. You are wasting your money - on the price of the dog and future vet bills you are likely to incur.


I totally see how that could be an issue. That’s sort of why I was wondering if anyone here breed or knew of a reputable breeder. I actually don’t think anyone breeds them and it was just a made up hybrid.

Sorry I’m new to all these things and appreciate everyone’s perspective :)
Jstruck
Pup
Pup
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2018 2:53 pm

Re: Griffiondor (WPG x Lab) a myth?

Postby LongHammer » Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:46 pm

If you want a turd eating what you call it you came to the wrong place. Here only pure bred geneticly superior turd eaters are welcome. Lol
"The problem with quoting info from the internet is that you can never be sure it is accurate" Abraham Lincoln
LongHammer
Master Poster
Master Poster
 
Posts: 397
Joined: Thu Aug 27, 2015 7:17 am

Re: Griffiondor (WPG x Lab) a myth?

Postby Meridiandave » Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:57 pm

If that is truly the case. Go get a rescue dog. I am sure there are many lab mixes
Meridiandave
Senior Poster
Senior Poster
 
Posts: 188
Joined: Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:40 am

Re: Griffindor (WPG x Lab) a myth?

Postby GRIFF MAN » Mon Apr 09, 2018 5:57 am

Jstruck wrote:
Maybe I should clarify that I’m not intending to hunt. I grew up around pointers and labs (relatives had them). So I enjoy both breeds, but now I’m looking for a family dog. We have land and places to swim, but I’m not a hunter (except I shoot the squirrels haha). So I heard about this hybrid and wondered if it really existed. So on that note, would the personality be bad as a family dog?



One of my pet peeves....why get a hunting bred dog if you don't hunt. An enormous amount of energy, time ,and sweat goes into breeding quality dogs for the purpose they were originated for. There are is a large amount of rescue/pound dogs around the country that need a home and would be good pets, that's where I would look.

Good luck

GriffMan
GRIFF MAN * LOVING LIFE AND MY GRIFF!

Aspen Glo's Kennels
Wirehaired Pointing Griffons
www.aspenglokennel.com
User avatar
GRIFF MAN
Champion Poster
Champion Poster
 
Posts: 1791
Joined: Wed Apr 09, 2003 8:16 am
Location: wisconsin

Re: Griffiondor (WPG x Lab) a myth?

Postby orhunter » Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:09 am

If you get/buy a dog like this it promotes the breeding of dogs like this.
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster
 
Posts: 7545
Joined: Wed Sep 04, 2002 12:29 am
Location: nw oregon

Re: Griffindor (WPG x Lab) a myth?

Postby JONOV » Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:34 am

GRIFF MAN wrote:
Jstruck wrote:
Maybe I should clarify that I’m not intending to hunt. I grew up around pointers and labs (relatives had them). So I enjoy both breeds, but now I’m looking for a family dog. We have land and places to swim, but I’m not a hunter (except I shoot the squirrels haha). So I heard about this hybrid and wondered if it really existed. So on that note, would the personality be bad as a family dog?



One of my pet peeves....why get a hunting bred dog if you don't hunt. An enormous amount of energy, time ,and sweat goes into breeding quality dogs for the purpose they were originated for. There are is a large amount of rescue/pound dogs around the country that need a home and would be good pets, that's where I would look.

Good luck

GriffMan

For about the first time in a year I find myself without a foster to rescue. Find yourself a breed rescue and get it from there. Griff, lab, GSP, whatever. Someone will have fostered the dog and can tell you about its bright spots and bad spots.
JONOV
Master Poster
Master Poster
 
Posts: 361
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2016 1:14 pm

Re: Griffiondor (WPG x Lab) a myth?

Postby WiskeyJaR » Sat May 05, 2018 6:07 pm

A few years ago I hunted with a fellar who had what he called a "wire haired lab", it was a cross between a WPG/LAB. That dog was a bird finder for sure. Would point and then flush on command. Great dog, is the reason I have taught my Lil Brown Dog <Bokin Spaniel> to point, then flush on command. Works great for me, my limited mobility, dog points and gives me time to get in place, then command to "find it" and the flush is on.

I think if a dog hunts for you, and you both are successful in yours hunting, then it really does not matter breed.... but then I tend not to ride high horses.
WiskeyJaR
Pup
Pup
 
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:34 am


Return to General Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests