Dog food

General Sporting Dog Discussion

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Re: Dog food

Postby RowdyGSP » Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:06 pm

I've tried a lot of different foods and I finally settled on Victor High Energy (red bag) in the hunting season and Victor Beef and Brown Rice (Navy blue bag) during the offseason. I have nothing but good things to say about Victor, for my dogs personally. Affordable. Keeps their weight nice and balanced. Coats look good. I'm happy with it.
"You have to be smarter than the dog to train it."
"A working dog is a happy dog."
"Semper Fi" HQ/11th
"Chukar: The first time you hunt them it's for sport. After that it's revenge."
RowdyGSP
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Doc E » Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:34 am

Different dogs do better or worse on different foods. you may have to try different ones in order to find the right one for y9ur dog.
We feed Victor Professional (26/18) and have found that it is as good for our dogs as any 30/20 that we have ever fed.
Doc E
HR UH MHR WR SR Casey RIP my friend :(
HRCH HR UH Tucker 1405 HR Ch. points :D
HRCH HR UH Weezle 265 HR Ch. points :)
Doc E
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby hicntry » Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:40 pm

Calvin, a long time friend and a long time trainer told me I was wrong and that free feeding does make it harder to housebreak a dog. Go figure. He told me that few people can do what I do with dogs. He told me that on one pedigree, I probably have ten times more dogs that most people in several lifetimes. He said I have to look at it in others perspectives. Most people today have feed and water in the house and they don't know that I never have feed and water in the house....which he sees as a big deal. He said most people let puppies roam the house so they haven't got the control I have. Understanding that, maybe free feeding does make it harder for most people today. But, he was surprised that after years of posting pictures of dogs in the house, of all ages, that you would assume I had no need of house breaking. Sorry for assuming, the way people handle dogs today, that free feeding had nothing to do with house breaking.
Ignorance can be fixed but stupid is forever.
Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible IF you don't know what you are talking about.

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Jim Beam in one hand, Airedale in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
hicntry
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby LongHammer » Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:12 pm

I still feed PPP 30/20 and supliment with gas station sausage sandwiches, chicken nuggets, dollar burgers and the occasional beer. It keeps Otto in top form.
"The problem with quoting info from the internet is that you can never be sure it is accurate" Abraham Lincoln
LongHammer
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby orhunter » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:01 am

LongHammer: It's those top of the line supplements Otto gets that makes up for the PPP. Sounds solid to me.
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby ryanr » Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:58 pm

JONOV wrote:Diamond extreme athlete was recommended to me. I fed it for 6-7 months but switched back to Purina Death Nuggets (what a raw feeding nutjob referred to them as.)

Curious, what didn't you like about Diamond Extreme Athlete? I'm currently feeding Diamond Naturals chicken formula but will switch to Diamond Extreme Athlete as training season kicks into high gear. I'll keep them on that then thru hunting season too.

I was/am a Dr. Tim's Pursuit formula devotee but this is going to be a tough year for me budget wise so I looked for something comparable that could save me some $$, especially with 2 dogs now. I was paying $74 dollars to get a 44lb bag of Pursuit delivered by Petflow, it recently became a 40lb bag, same price though. I canceled and right now buy a 40lb bag of Diamond Naturals for about $37 with the tax. And Extreme Athlete is only a few dollars more. That's at least a $25 savings for me.
ryanr
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby slistoe » Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:41 pm

ryanr wrote: That's at least a $25 savings for me.

Provided your feed volume doesn't change for the same result performance wise.
slistoe
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby LongHammer » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:53 pm

orhunter wrote:LongHammer: It's those top of the line supplements Otto gets that makes up for the PPP. Sounds solid to me.

Hey I tried to give him a carrot once and he gave me the same stupid look I give my wife when she suggests salads can be dinner!
"The problem with quoting info from the internet is that you can never be sure it is accurate" Abraham Lincoln
LongHammer
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby JONOV » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:59 pm

ryanr wrote:
JONOV wrote:Diamond extreme athlete was recommended to me. I fed it for 6-7 months but switched back to Purina Death Nuggets (what a raw feeding nutjob referred to them as.)

Curious, what didn't you like about Diamond Extreme Athlete? I'm currently feeding Diamond Naturals chicken formula but will switch to Diamond Extreme Athlete as training season kicks into high gear. I'll keep them on that then thru hunting season too.

I was/am a Dr. Tim's Pursuit formula devotee but this is going to be a tough year for me budget wise so I looked for something comparable that could save me some $$, especially with 2 dogs now. I was paying $74 dollars to get a 44lb bag of Pursuit delivered by Petflow, it recently became a 40lb bag, same price though. I canceled and right now buy a 40lb bag of Diamond Naturals for about $37 with the tax. And Extreme Athlete is only a few dollars more. That's at least a $25 savings for me.

No real complaints...just that he didn’t seem to like it as much as Purina, and it didn’t accomplish what I expected from it, which was a bit more meat on his boney frame. I’ve come to accept that he has a natural disposition towards leanness. It’s a quality food and I’d feed it again. He did well on it.
JONOV
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby ryanr » Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:24 am

slistoe wrote:
ryanr wrote: That's at least a $25 savings for me.

Provided your feed volume doesn't change for the same result performance wise.

It hasn't, been feeding it for a solid month now.

And thank you Jonov, for your response to my inquiry as well.
ryanr
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Bigearl » Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:14 pm

I’ve fed Diamond off and on in the past. Most dogs did ok on it. Only problem with Diamond, is that company has had several issues with their feed over the years. They’ve killed a bunch a dogs with contaminated feed
Bigearl
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Previous

Return to General Discussion