Dog food

General Sporting Dog Discussion

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Re: Dog food

Postby Calvinator » Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:12 pm

OR,
how is feeding a dog everyday at 7:00pm not consistent? Not following your logic?

Calvin
Calvinator
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Stretch » Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:31 pm

I’m feeding the same size portion every day just never measured it to know the exact amount.
Stretch
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby hicntry » Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:13 pm

I free fed every dog I have owned. Never had them get fat or gulp food. Scheduled feedings is too restrictive all the way around and portioned feeding creates dogs that gulp food down. Feeding 20 to 30 dogs at a time I only had one that guarded the feeder and putting a second feeder at the far end of the yard ended that in short order. Over the years I fed various brands and have fed Kirkland's for years now and they do fine on it.....as well as they did on any them anyway.
Ignorance can be fixed but stupid is forever.
Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible IF you don't know what you are talking about.

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Jim Beam in one hand, Airedale in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
hicntry
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Urban_Redneck » Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:40 am

Raw.
Urban_Redneck
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby orhunter » Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:43 am

I always thought gulping food was a learned response to puppies being fed as a group that creates a lot of competition. Probably has something to do with scheduled feedings also.
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby STait » Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:57 am

There's a decent possibility you're feeding a bit too much. Take it down 1/4 cup or a bit more and see if that helps.

I've tried so many different brands and types within the brands, and the dog food I feed now is Farmina n&d chicken and pumpkin. I don't care about the grain free aspect or the non-GMO aspect, all I care about is how my dogs do on it. I've never used a better food. But, it's more money than most want to pay at just over $2 a lb.
STait
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby JONOV » Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:07 pm

hicntry wrote:I free fed every dog I have owned. Never had them get fat or gulp food. Scheduled feedings is too restrictive all the way around and portioned feeding creates dogs that gulp food down. Feeding 20 to 30 dogs at a time I only had one that guarded the feeder and putting a second feeder at the far end of the yard ended that in short order. Over the years I fed various brands and have fed Kirkland's for years now and they do fine on it.....as well as they did on any them anyway.

I do as well...Even the fosters I've had do well with it, and two that would "resource guard" otherwise stopped once they realized there were always two bowls topped up.

The current foster was emaciated when he came to us so I had to stop for a little while but as soon as he wasn't eating like a baby (wake up every three hours and cry for food) I went back to it.

The big drawback I've found is that they're more liable to leave a random kibble all over the kitchen (where I feed.) But, since I have to vacuum everyday anyway (the previous owner chose the worse possible tile for a black dog and kitchen in general) its not a big deal.

I don't know how it would work with every dog though...My in-laws have a Golden Retriever, that knocked over the food bin, ate til she threw up, and kept eating....
JONOV
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:45 pm

I went away from free choice feeding because I want to know that when I go out and load my dog in the morning for a hunt that he has an empty vs full stomach. So I feed once a day in the evening. It also works out better when on the road hunting as the feeding routine is the same at home.

I have been feeding PPP 30/20 to my last two dogs and have no complaints. But my dog needed more calories this past season so I switched to Inukshuk 32/32. Back on the PPP now that things have slowed down.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby orhunter » Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:03 pm

Calvin: He said 7-8. That's not consistent. It could be 7 or 8, not both.
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby STait » Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:45 pm

AverageGuy wrote:I went away from free choice feeding because I want to know that when I go out and load my dog in the morning for a hunt that he has an empty vs full stomach. So I feed once a day in the evening. It also works out better when on the road hunting as the feeding routine is the same at home.

Exactly what I do and I like my dogs to snarf it down as soon as I drop it on the ground. All my dogs are great eaters and if they aren't I know somethings wrong. They eat the same on the road as they do at home and never had a problem feeding several out of the same bowl. Eating is like hunting for my dogs, they're all business.
STait
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby hicntry » Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:09 pm

AverageGuy wrote:I went away from free choice feeding because I want to know that when I go out and load my dog in the morning for a hunt that he has an empty vs full stomach. So I feed once a day in the evening. It also works out better when on the road hunting as the feeding routine is the same at home.

I have been feeding PPP 30/20 to my last two dogs and have no complaints. But my dog needed more calories this past season so I switched to Inukshuk 32/32. Back on the PPP now that things have slowed down.

I guess you have to be around free fed dogs to understand how they differ from portion fed dogs. Free fed dogs have food available 24/7 and they know it will always be there. They graze a bit at a time but never gulp their food down or eat like it is their last meal. They walk by the feeder and pick up a small bit of food, walk over somewhere, lay down, spit the food out and casually pick it up one piece at a time and eat it. They never eat like it may be their last meal. In hot weather they eat a lot less. In cold weather they eat what they need to maintain body heat and they are better judges of what they need than what people are.
Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible IF you don't know what you are talking about.

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Jim Beam in one hand, Airedale in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
hicntry
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby STait » Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:48 pm

I like mine to be all natural, just like wild dogs, apart from the growling and nashing of teeth ;-) I want them eating like it's their last meal so I can put them in the truck for bedtime within a few minutes. My dogs will run between 1-5 hours when I put them on the ground hunting. I need to know they had a full meal the night before and nothing that morning. All depends on what you want from your dogs.
STait
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby Calvinator » Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:48 pm

I agree the dog is probably being fed too much.

OR,
My dogs could eat dinner any time between 6:30 and 9:00. Doesn't seem to bother them at all. I figure wild canids never know when their next meal might be.

Hicntry,
Free feeding puppies has a tendency to make house training a bit more difficult. You probably are aware of that, just as I am aware that your dogs lived in big outdoor paddocks where house training isn't needed. Also in free feeding, you will not know if the dog's eating behavior is off and not normal.

Calvin
Calvinator
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby hicntry » Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:20 pm

" All depends on what you want from your dogs."

I agree with you 100% Steve. You feel you need to know when your dogs ate so it is controlled feeding to get the hours in hunting. My dogs eat small amounts 24/7 so I don't worry about it because they get the hours in hunting with no problem. I could load them up anytime....even for a night hunt....and it is no different than a morning hunt to them. The temperature is more what I focus on rather than the eating.

hicntry
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby hicntry » Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:52 pm

"Hicntry,
Free feeding puppies has a tendency to make house training a bit more difficult. You probably are aware of that, just as I am aware that your dogs lived in big outdoor paddocks where house training isn't needed. Also in free feeding, you will not know if the dog's eating behavior is off and not normal."

Calvin, after years of postings and pictures of housebreaking multiple pups at a time and explaining the whys and wherefores of how it is done.........I just can't believe you made that post. Free feeding has nothing to do with housebreaking.

hicntry
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion