New(Soon to be) VDD owner introduction

General Sporting Dog Discussion

Moderator: Moderator Pack

New(Soon to be) VDD owner introduction

Postby JGT » Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:00 pm

It has taken me years to finally get another dog after my last one died suddenly. He was a lab/setter mix and for a free dog you couldnt have asked for much more. Between getting over the loss and just finding the right time to get a new pup it has taken me 3/4 years to get to the point I am now: Deposit check cashed and the rest sitting in the savings account for the day in March that i pick up my new puppy.

I took a long time to even decide on a breed, with hundreds of breeds out there I finally set my sights on a dog that would track game, point, retrieve, shed hunt, and maybe even chase some coons, the Drahthaar. I live in Oklahoma, moved here from South Carolina and started my career out here after college. Ive spent the past 6 months talking with breeders and owners around the area, and it was very reassuring to know that the breeders I spoke with were much more concerned about educating me and making sure a VDD is right for me, instead of just selling me a puppy that they have or are expecting. Everyone seems to know everyone and are working for a common goal. I can't say enough about how welcomed I felt by those who helped me find the right dog. And I believe I have a much better prospect than I deserve, especially being new to the breed as a whole. My puppy is coming from Vom Fred Haus (Dan Alexander), and it is a puppy from Olga IV Del Zeffiro and Alwin II vom bandorfer-forst. I was the very blessed to get on the deposit list, when a man who had placed his deposit backed out when he decided to adopt two children in a bad situation from his church (nothing wrong with that at all). I called Dan the moment I was told about it and he quizzed me, made sure I was serious about the dog and one day having my own kennel, and so he decided to let me place my deposit. His main reason was that he wanted to give a newcomer, who had experience with training serious working dogs (My wife and I have GSDs that we train in protection work) the chance to start his own kennel should I put in the work.

I have heard, on several occasions, GWP breeders talk about the litter and how badly they wanted a puppy for their breeding programs (My wife shows in akc and bought a GWP), but they knew that they would not be able to get one out of the VDD system honestly. Little did I know that one day, 3 months later I would have a deposit on one of those puppies.

So now, I hope to come back here as often as I can, and share our journey through the training, hunting, and the tests we will be a part of. I hope some of you would be willing to give me some advice, point me to some helpful literature, or just give me some direction on who to train with or where (besides NAVHDA which we already participate in). Hopefully by this time next year we will have some passing test scores, and maybe a few hunts under our belt.
JGT
Pup
Pup

Re: New(Soon to be) VDD owner introduction

Postby Drahthaar1108 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:55 pm

JGT, welcome to the Drahthaar addiction.
The best advice I can give you is get with your breeder and find out about local training days, you can learn a lot from other people.
You have a year before you have to test your pup at VJP, keep its nose in the bushes and around all the wild game you can. Forrest
Drahthaar1108
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby JGT » Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:07 am

Drahthaar1108 wrote:JGT, welcome to the Drahthaar addiction.
The best advice I can give you is get with your breeder and find out about local training days, you can learn a lot from other people.
You have a year before you have to test your pup at VJP, keep its nose in the bushes and around all the wild game you can. Forrest

I certainly hope to keep him in the woods. There is some public land fairly close to our house and there is also a game bird raiser close. I hope the NAVHDA training will be a good supplement to our training as well. Hopefully I can get my hands on some rabbits and other animals to track. There is a lady who breeds rabbits and said we could have all we want. I was thinking about buying them and just letting the pup chase it around the yard to build drive.

But I sure hope we can pass our tests and health exams. This should be a great adventure
JGT
Pup
Pup

Postby Drahthaar1108 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:28 am

IF you have a place that you can release the domestic rabbits , the get wild pretty quick,( if you don't have a lot of predators). other wise the pup will catch the rabbits pretty easy .
I wish N.C. would release pheasants on public land & do something for the upland bird hunting . Forrest
Drahthaar1108
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Return to General Discussion