Bite wounds

General Sporting Dog Discussion

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Re: Bite wounds

Postby orhunter » Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:28 am

LongHammer: Looks like a great product.

The worst barb wire incident we had was with Ellie on a Chukar hunt. Stopped for a water break and I noticed a tiny bit of blood on her chest. I always left the hair long there for protection against such stuff but for sure it wasn't enough that day. I looked closely and saw a huge gash maybe three inches long with the skin hanging down. Got out the Duct Tape and covered her front end then called it a day long before it should have been over. After the vet worked her over and I got a look, I hadn't come close to seeing everything, her entire front end was covered in stitches, total count, 48.

One worthwhile thing about that day was how much it cost. Had I waited till we got home and took her to her regular vet in the neighborhood, I'm betting it would have cost at least $350 to get her stitched up. As it turned out, the total bill, including meds, was $109. This wasn't the first time I needed a vet while on the road and not the first time I'd used this particular office. I got a great deal when Cassie tangled with a Porcupine on the John Day R., the bill for that was $55. A big shout out for Wallace Vet. Service in The Dalles.
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Birdog72 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:46 pm

greg moyer wrote:After using both Neosporin and Derma-Vet my go to antimicrobial is Vetericym Plus. Dog goes through a 16 oz bottle every season.

I use this same product a lot! helps seal and clean the wound.
Birdog72
Pup
Pup

Postby jph » Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:15 pm

Sugardine:
betadine and sugar, easy cheap.
jph
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby orhunter » Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:04 pm

Before there was modern medicine, honey was used. It sill works.
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Bruce Schwartz » Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:41 pm

orhunter wrote:Before there was modern medicine, honey was used. It sill works.

Leaches have been used in recent times for getting rid of stagnant venous blood in finger reimplantations (arteries for blood inflow can be connected easier than veins for outflow). And maggots work well too .... since they eat only dead tissue they can be used for cleaning necrotic wounds and leaving just healthy granulating tissues. They work in the dark so you need to keep the wounds covered ... and don't turn off the lights at night.
Bruce Schwartz
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby JONOV » Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:42 am

Bruce Schwartz wrote:
orhunter wrote:Before there was modern medicine, honey was used. It sill works.

Leaches have been used in recent times for getting rid of stagnant venous blood in finger reimplantations (arteries for blood inflow can be connected easier than veins for outflow). And maggots work well too .... since they eat only dead tissue they can be used for cleaning necrotic wounds and leaving just healthy granulating tissues. They work in the dark so you need to keep the wounds covered ... and don't turn off the lights at night.

An older family member's neighbor was a POW in the South Pacific...He had a wound packed with maggots to keep gangrene away since they had no access to medical supplies...Those men were a tougher sort, no doubt...
JONOV
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby Cajun_Recovery » Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:31 pm

Just wanted to say thanks for the advice. I stopped the peroxide and started rotating the med spray and epsom salt in a squirt bottle for the first two days. I layed off the neosporin until the wounds closed on their own. All of the wounds have scabbed over and are healing nicely. Once again, thanks for the advice. It is reassuring to have a place full of field experienced members to come for advice.
Cajun_Recovery
Pup
Pup

Postby Bruce Schwartz » Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:06 am

thanks for your appreciation of all the advice here.
Bruce Schwartz
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Dakotazeb » Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:22 am

Like someone else said. Vetericyn is good stuff and not messy like EMT gel.

https://store.vetericyn.com/index.php/d ... 16-oz.html
Janees August Breeze - Bree
http://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigree. ... erations=5

Godfather's Dakota Elle
1X NSTRA Champion
2008-2016
http://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigree. ... erations=5
Dakotazeb
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby orhunter » Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:06 am

I could never get EMT to stay on.
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby RowdyGSP » Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:34 pm

+1 on the Vetericyn. My go-to bite-wound routine is epsom salt, then Vetericyn. Betadine works good too.
"You have to be smarter than the dog to train it."
"A working dog is a happy dog."
"Semper Fi" HQ/11th
"Chukar: The first time you hunt them it's for sport. After that it's revenge."
RowdyGSP
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Stretch » Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:23 am

I have four coyote running hounds so bite wounds and cuts are about a every hunt thing. I hunt with some older guys (60-80) and everyone of them will tell you if a dog can lick a cut leave it alone don’t touch it, considering it doesn’t need stitches. If the cut is somewhere they can’t lick we use wound kote and cut heal after cleaning with water. Far as bite wounds and puncture wounds we use a syringe full of epsom salt solution to clean it out and if it swells bad we give a shot of g penicillin. Penicillin is cheap and works. We try not use any antibiotics if we can, so in the case when we do they work.
Stretch
Seasoned
Seasoned

Previous

Return to General Discussion