Bite wounds

General Sporting Dog Discussion

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Bite wounds

Postby Cajun_Recovery » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:59 pm

I would like some advice on treating bite wounds for my DD. She tangled with several nutria while out rabbit hunting today. We kept hunting with no issues. Now we are home and I have given her a bath and cleaned the wounds with water and peroxide. She has several small open wounds.

What is the process for healing the wounds? Neosporin and periodic cleaning is my plan. Is there something else I should do in addition or is this the wrong process all together.

She is up to date on her rabies vaccination and the wounds are all about 1/8” wide shallow cuts where the teeth got her. One did tear her ear though. I intend for her to be a fur dog so this will likely be a frequent process for she and I.

Thanks in advance for advice.
Cajun_Recovery
Pup
Pup

Re: Bite wounds

Postby AverageGuy » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:03 pm

I have excellent results healing up small cuts and abrasions with neosporin.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby orhunter » Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:42 am

Don't use peroxide. Bad stuff. Alcohol is bad too.

I dissolve some Epsom salt in warm water and use a spray bottle to apply to hose out the wounds.
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Chadwick » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:32 am

After it is cleaned up, EMT gel or spray. The stuff help speed healing a lot.
Chadwick
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby JONOV » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:48 am

orhunter wrote:Don't use peroxide. Bad stuff. Alcohol is bad too.

I dissolve some Epsom salt in warm water and use a spray bottle to apply to hose out the wounds.

I had to bathe my dog in a peroxide/baking soda/Dawn combination after he tangled with a skunk...It seemed to make the cuts quite raw every application. And it messed with his skin a little, and changed his color a bit...People were asking, "Is he browner and grayer?" (he's black.)

Neosporin works for our beach trips when he can't seem to avoid oyster beds to save his life.
Last edited by JONOV on Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
JONOV
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby orhunter » Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:23 am

Jonov: That was a different application where you weren't treating a wound. I've done the same thing, no worries. Peroxide and alcohol kills living tissue when they come into contact with each other. This actually contributes to the damage and increases scar tissue, probably slows down healing. Some precautions go with Neosporin also. Great stuff for surface cuts and scrapes but not for deep or puncture wounds. The bad stuff should be left open and get the Epsom Salt treatment so the healing doesn't trap bacteria deep in the wound. Neosporin can promote healing too quickly and trap bacteria beneath the skin.
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby greg moyer » Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:03 pm

After using both Neosporin and Derma-Vet my go to antimicrobial is Vetericym Plus. Dog goes through a 16 oz bottle every season.
greg moyer
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby greg moyer » Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:03 pm

Sorry double post.
Last edited by greg moyer on Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
greg moyer
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby JONOV » Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:31 pm

orhunter wrote:Jonov: That was a different application where you weren't treating a wound. I've done the same thing, no worries. Peroxide and alcohol kills living tissue when they come into contact with each other. This actually contributes to the damage and increases scar tissue, probably slows down healing. Some precautions go with Neosporin also. Great stuff for surface cuts and scrapes but not for deep or puncture wounds. The bad stuff should be left open and get the Epsom Salt treatment so the healing doesn't trap bacteria deep in the wound. Neosporin can promote healing too quickly and trap bacteria beneath the skin.

I saw that firsthand, every application (had to do it a few days in a row) he would look freshly bloody where he had scrapes or cuts...almost like it reopened them. It definitely slowed down the healing. I felt awful doing it, but it needed to be done.
JONOV
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby Drahthaar1108 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:55 pm

Vetericyn, is good stuff.Forrest
Drahthaar1108
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby Bruce Schwartz » Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:56 pm

actually, most wounds, even deep wounds, do very well if you just leave them alone. Salve just puts a layer of goop on top and keeps air from getting to them and which hastens the development of infection. Stitches for anything but very clean and fresh wounds (i.e. think surgical) will often trap bacteria and infections will result similarly. Same with multilayers of wrappings that keep air from getting to them. If they get infected then it may be time to use antibiotics, but vets (same as human docs) prescribe way too many antibiotics and thus the bacteria develop resistance and are a reason why we need to keep developing more of them. If the wounds are infected then the best treatment is what is called "wet-to-dry" dressing changes: apply dry or slightly moistened gauze on the wound, cover with porous wrapping and peel it off when it has dried and stuck to the wound (6-8 hours later) and apply another. Do this repeatedly until healed. This will mechanically clean the wound and will do better than salve or stitches. Gaping wounds are best repaired surgically. Puncture wounds get infected because bacteria are trapped inside (much like suturing wounds closed). If an abcess develops it needs to be drained and then kept open so they can granulate in on its own. Honest
Bruce Schwartz
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby LongHammer » Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:58 pm

For punctures I keep this in my dog 1st aid kit.
It sprays saline about 15 ft. I give punctures a few good blasts to clean them out. I don't add any neo until I get home and blast it out again. If it is real big I might super glue it and leave a weep hole.
"The problem with quoting info from the internet is that you can never be sure it is accurate" Abraham Lincoln
LongHammer
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby orhunter » Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:46 pm

My dogs acquired wounds that involved keeping them open mechanically by installing a drain. It stays there for maybe ten days to insure proper healing from the inside out. If something becomes abscessed, this what a vet will do but these kinds of procedures can be avoided through proper primary care. Examine your dog at the end of each day for things that require a bit of attention. Rock cuts on the feet, shattered toe nails, stuff in the eyes, if your dog is licking somewhere, check it out. Amazing what barb wire can do to a dog when you see no sign of bleeding.
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby LongHammer » Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:20 pm

orhunter wrote:My dogs acquired wounds that involved keeping them open mechanically by installing a drain. It stays there for maybe ten days to insure proper healing from the inside out. If something becomes abscessed, this what a vet will do but these kinds of procedures can be avoided through proper primary care. Examine your dog at the end of each day for things that require a bit of attention. Rock cuts on the feet, shattered toe nails, stuff in the eyes, if your dog is licking somewhere, check it out. Amazing what barb wire can do to a dog when you see no sign of bleeding.

Barbed wired ripped Ottos armpit open wide enough you could see tendons in his front leg. No blood no obvious discomfort. Found it inspecting him after the hunt. Solid advise Orhunter.
"The problem with quoting info from the internet is that you can never be sure it is accurate" Abraham Lincoln
LongHammer
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby Bruce Schwartz » Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:10 am

LongHammer wrote:For punctures I keep this in my dog 1st aid kit.
It sprays saline about 15 ft. I give punctures a few good blasts to clean them out. I don't add any neo until I get home and blast it out again. If it is real big I might super glue it and leave a weep hole.
\

good point. Clean dirty wounds with saline or even soap and water.
Bruce Schwartz
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Next

Return to General Discussion