Season is Over -- What's Next ?

General Sporting Dog Discussion

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Season is Over -- What's Next ?

Postby Doc E » Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:16 pm

Our hunting seasons ended on Jan 28, so now we are getting back into dog training and running in Hunt Tests, mostly HRC and possibly one or two NAHRA and AKC tests.

We are starting out here :

Prado Basin HRC March Test 2018

United Kennel Club Regular Licensed Hunt

Saturday March 3, 2018
AND
Sunday March 4, 2018

Hunt Location:
Prado dog park
Chino, CA

Advanced Entries Close: Friday, February 23, 2018 11:59:59 PM Eastern Time(ET)

Prado Basin HRC
/www.facebook.com/prado-basin-hrc-227577400586419/
Doc E
HR UH MHR WR SR Casey RIP my friend :(
HRCH HR UH Tucker 1450 HR Ch. points :D
HRCH HR UH Weezle 265 HR Ch. points :)
Doc E
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Re: Season is Over -- What's Next ?

Postby Bigearl » Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:14 am

Work is what's next for me! I let things slide during hunting season. Time to get back to the grind so I can afford to hunt again next year :lol:
Bigearl
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:31 am

More training for us Doc E.

Working on simple double marks and baseball drills now. I want to have simple blind retrieve handling skills in place for next year's waterfowling. Need to do a quick brush up on steadiness through shot and fall. Work on Backing/Honoring.

Archery Elk hunt for me in Sept, so working out and shooting the bow through the spring and summer, 4 CRP fields to burn, will frost seed some clover in Feb, fertilize and lime the existing clover plots in late March, food plots to spray, plant and spray again in April/May/June, thistle to spot spray all summer in the CRP, more food plots to mow, spray, till and plant in July/August. Would be nice to wet a line a few times this year. Plan to hunt Spring Gobblers in 3 states, and there are Mushrooms to be found ...
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby orhunter » Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:26 am

AG..... When do you sleep.

I'm trying to find as many dog tests to attend as I can when I have time to do it. Once July/August/early September rolls around, it's fishing, salmon and sturgeon. Want to hit the Deschutes for trout but scheduling might be difficult?

Have some reloading and rifle shooting to do when the weather permits.

Need to work on the boat, have a wiring problem and going to put in a new Sonar/GPS. Our annual Sportsman's Show is next week so have some serious shopping to do.

Trying to arrange a Sask. waterfowl hunt. I don't think the outfitter has much interest in accommodating one guy and seems reluctant in getting back to me.
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Bruce Schwartz » Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:41 pm

orhunter wrote: Want to hit the Deschutes for trout but scheduling might be difficult?

You can skip trout fishing on the Deschutes. The river has been ruined by mixing warm water upstream at Pelton Dam which has created havoc with all bug (and therefore fish) life from there on down. Swallows are even gone. Join the Deschutes River Alliance to help restore what was an incredible fishery: http://deschutesriveralliance.org
Bruce Schwartz
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby LongHammer » Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:13 pm

I am going to try my luck on the toothy critters coyotes,bobcats and fox hopefully someday a mt lion. Otto likes fur more than birds so hopefully I can get him on something before it gets any hotter already in the 80s. It will be strange shooting a rifle again. After that-all we can really do dog wise is swim. I put a 2ft rope on a bumper and it is 60 yards water retrieves. Sometimes ill go to where we hunt and send a bumper down river while he does a short retrieve and send him on long down stream blinds. I am always amazed how far away he can smell a bumper from.

The number one thing Otto likes to do in the off season is go and hump fat house dogs at the dog park. They just aren't in good enough physical condition to shake him off or bite him. The fun part is he gets return customers. We go and these dogs seek him out his 2 biggest groupies are a 90lb pitbull and a 120lb american bulldog. Otto likes'um big. :D
"The problem with quoting info from the internet is that you can never be sure it is accurate" Abraham Lincoln
LongHammer
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby jlw034 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:02 pm

We will halfheartedly run rabbits til the end of Feb. Hopefully spend some time on the ice chasing walleyes.

Trying to decide if I want to/will be ready to run the UT on June 1st. Lots of training to be done, and cold weather/lack of training birds could make it tough. Mostly duck search I'm worried about.

Need to get more comfortable with my bow so I can minimize my time in a stand this year.

Summer training is going to revolve around waterfowl. Lena's faults came through this fall, so I know what to train for now. Marks, lines, whistle obedience, etc.

Other than that, hopefully help out with our local Navhda chapter a whole lot. We've got to have one of the largest chapters in the country, and volunteers are always needed.
jlw034
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby orhunter » Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:16 pm

Bruce: Was wondering about that?
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Bruce Schwartz » Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:05 pm

LongHammer wrote: The number one thing Otto likes to do in the off season is go and hump fat house dogs at the dog park. They just aren't in good enough physical condition to shake him off or bite him. The fun part is he gets return customers. We go and these dogs seek him out his 2 biggest groupies are a 90lb pitbull and a 120lb american bulldog. Otto likes'um big. :D

Love it ... reminds me of, well...
Bruce Schwartz
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby ForestDump » Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:21 pm

Training, field trials and wild bird camp.
ForestDump
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby LongHammer » Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:22 pm

Bruce Schwartz wrote:
LongHammer wrote: The number one thing Otto likes to do in the off season is go and hump fat house dogs at the dog park. They just aren't in good enough physical condition to shake him off or bite him. The fun part is he gets return customers. We go and these dogs seek him out his 2 biggest groupies are a 90lb pitbull and a 120lb american bulldog. Otto likes'um big. :D

Love it ... reminds me of, well...

Go Bruce! They are never out of season and there is no bag limit!
"The problem with quoting info from the internet is that you can never be sure it is accurate" Abraham Lincoln
LongHammer
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby Bruce Schwartz » Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:11 am

stop ... you're killing me
Bruce Schwartz
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby GONEHUNTIN' » Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:27 am

Preserves until mid March, then fishing.
I just hate seeing birds die of natural causes unless I'm that natural cause.
GONEHUNTIN'
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby JONOV » Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:54 am

Start training in earnest for the UT test...And work on blind retrieves...
JONOV
Master Poster
Master Poster

Return to General Discussion