Drahthaar Breeder Recommendations

General Sporting Dog Discussion

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Drahthaar Breeder Recommendations

Postby GeneralFailure » Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:01 pm

Trying to find some first hand recommendations for Drahthaar breeders. I've reached out to a few, and done searches here, but haven't had much success. I'm either not getting a response or the breeders don't seem eager to give references which makes me uncomfortable.

I'm trying to find a dog that's both successful hunting in the field and water but also with the hunt tests. This will be my first DD, but I have experience training GSPs for field work.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks.
GeneralFailure
Pup
Pup

Re: Drahthaar Breeder Recommendations

Postby booger » Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:48 pm

booger
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby GeneralFailure » Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:17 pm

booger wrote:http://www.vdd-gna.org/breeders/

Thanks. I’ve been there several times and used it to located a few breeders. Looking more for first hand recommendations though.
GeneralFailure
Pup
Pup

Postby jlw034 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:56 pm

Biased to the nth degree, but I've never heard a bad thing about my breeder.

Hugh Slaney of Vom Slaney-Vale, Manitoba.
jlw034
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby booger » Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:14 pm

GeneralFailure wrote:
booger wrote:http://www.vdd-gna.org/breeders/

Thanks. I’ve been there several times and used it to located a few breeders. Looking more for first hand recommendations though.

When I was looking a couple years ago I talked to a guy who was a wealth of information, who suggested I call a few other breeders. Of those guys one was really helpful and actually had his buddy (who owned the dog, he was doing the breeding) stop by my house on the way home from a hunting trip so I could take a look at his bitch. She was a very nice dog but bigger than I was looking for. The guy I chose was based on, in part how much I liked the guy. He was up front and honest and being a first time dog owner I had a ton of questions that he's been extremely helpful with. I probably talk to him on a monthly basis, so you might as well go with someone you like and that will actually answer you calls and give you time of day.

That being said I went with Jake Strege (vom eichel grat). And talked Chris Schmidt (vom Wendigjäger). Both MN guys.
booger
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby 3drahthaars » Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:11 pm

My $.02...

Search for a breeder who HUNTS what you hunt and hunts a lot.

If all a breeder can discuss is test scores... keep looking.

Try to attend some tests to see what is involved and what is available. I spent 3 years researching my first DD, two tests a year, and wound up getting one out of a bitch we saw at the very first test we attended... weren't disappointed.

My focus is on hunting dogs that were tested vs. testing dogs tested to meet breeding requirements.

Good luck,

3ds
3drahthaars
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby GONEHUNTIN' » Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:04 pm

double post
Last edited by GONEHUNTIN' on Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I just hate seeing birds die of natural causes unless I'm that natural cause.
GONEHUNTIN'
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby GONEHUNTIN' » Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:05 pm

Paul Trout, Caldwell Idaho. Vom Orion.

Heather Prunty, Port Ludlow Washington. Vom Grizzly Creek.

Both can give you a lot of recommendations including me.
GONEHUNTIN'
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby ILuvHuns » Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:17 am

Where do you live?

I'm surprised and disappointed to hear that you are "not having much success" in gathering information. Most members of VDD-GNA are very helpful. Most breeders are outstanding!

PM me. I have 5 Drahthaars. Happy to help.

Huns.
ILuvHuns
Pup
Pup

Postby Calvinator » Sun Feb 04, 2018 6:56 pm

Calvinator
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Az Draht » Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:39 am

GONEHUNTIN' wrote:Paul Trout, Caldwell Idaho. Vom Orion.

Heather Prunty, Port Ludlow Washington. Vom Grizzly Creek.

Both can give you a lot of recommendations including me.

GH,

Do you have a Grizzly creek dog now? I know you were an orion guy. Please PM your thoughts if you have a grizzly creek dog. I'm might be ready to get back in the game for that winter 2018 litter after putting my orion dog down last october.

So I don't hi-jack the thread,

OP, I can 2nd the Hugh Slaney recommendation as a breeder to deal with. I would consider his dogs, but I am a little scared off because of the size of my dad's dog and I have it in my mind that the northwestern chukar dogs might give me a bigger run. That might not be true, but it is where I will start my search. Oh and my first DD was a vom orion (Paul Trout, mentioned above). I would recommend him also. I suspect it is hard to get a dog from him though.
Az Draht
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby orhunter » Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:34 am

AZ D. Not all NW dogs are big runners. I think a person has to evaluate each litter on its own merits and pay close attention to size like you mentioned. Smaller the better.
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Az Draht » Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:14 am

I realize that. I just think the northwest and utah are more likely to produce the same type of dog that would best work here in AZ. The western prairie also, of course.

I may be wrong.
Az Draht
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby GONEHUNTIN' » Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:05 am

Az Draht wrote:GH,

Do you have a Grizzly creek dog now? I know you were an orion guy. Please PM your thoughts if you have a grizzly creek dog. I'm might be ready to get back in the game for that winter 2018 litter after putting my orion dog down last october.

Yes, I do. My new pup ( 1 1/2 now) is one of my favorite of all time. This pup is from Paul's sire Gunnar, his last litter. He is a brother of my old dog Lani, still alive at 13. So in effect, I have both a VomOrion and VomGrizzlyCreek dog. This new pup, Burley, has trained easier than any dog I have had in the last 30 years. She is exceptional. Anything I show her, she learns and without a battle. Just and outstanding dog. Too bad I own her. She could probably have been a VC while 2 but that no longer interests me. Plus that, Heather is prettier than Paul and great to deal with. I wanted the pup from Paul because he's a close friend and this pup was a stud fee pup.
GONEHUNTIN'
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby stubblejumper » Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:09 pm

jlw034 wrote:Biased to the nth degree, but I've never heard a bad thing about my breeder.

Hugh Slaney of Vom Slaney-Vale, Manitoba.

My recommendation as well. I have one of his dogs, and I know several people with his pups, and not one complaint.
stubblejumper
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Next

Return to General Discussion