Must have items for new versatile pup?

General Sporting Dog Discussion

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Re: Must have items for new versatile pup?

Postby rumbolt » Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:45 pm

here are the parents of the pup I will be getting from Hugh Slaney in Manitoba this spring.

Heather vom Slaney Vale

Image.

Chief vom Eichel Grat

Image.
rumbolt
Started
Started

Postby Drahthaar1108 » Sun Jan 28, 2018 4:40 pm

Be PATIENT , have a close bond with your puppy, take plenty of walks in the woods and field. Forrest
Drahthaar1108
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby LongHammer » Sun Jan 28, 2018 5:29 pm

I'll tell you what not to get. A toy with a squeaker in it. Builds bad habits.
"The problem with quoting info from the internet is that you can never be sure it is accurate" Abraham Lincoln
LongHammer
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby rumbolt » Sun Jan 28, 2018 6:44 pm

Thanks, ya I have been told by many of people to stay clear of squeaky toys.
rumbolt
Started
Started

Postby 3drahthaars » Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:27 pm

How come you didn't get one from Ken Dinn... he's in NF, right?

Any rate, nice looking parents.

Should be a nice looking pup.

As for squeaky toys... I'm not sure, except that my pup loves hers.

3ds
3drahthaars
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby rumbolt » Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:34 pm

i was on the waiting list from ken for 2 years however he had some issues with his last few litters so he hooked me up with Hugh!
rumbolt
Started
Started

Postby Drahthaar1108 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:42 am

Good looking parents
HOW did they score on their test ?
Is this your first DD ?
Forrest
Drahthaar1108
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby Coveyrise64 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:06 am

Nothing average about your process. I'd buy your new book or DVD in a heart beat. :!:

cr

AverageGuy wrote:Well Rumbolt, welcome to asking for dog training advice on the internet. We do not all agree on everything. Exclamation points and bold opinions are easy to type so do not be unduly influenced by them is my advice on that.

I have had numerous puppies that benefitted from having an ecollar introduced and used correctly well before one year of age in their first hunting season. The tool if used correctly will be of great use. Used incorrectly it is a disaster. If you purchase and watch the DVDs I recommended you will learn the difference in short order as they are very clear and helpful.

My current dog turned 2 years old yesterday. He hunted pheasants, grouse, doves, quail, waterfowl, some fur, and recovered a deer in his first season, hunting in 6 states from Sept to Feb. Passed his NAVHDA Utility Test Prize 1 at 18 months of age. He is my most recent example of using an ecollar effectively starting at an much earlier age than 1 year as I have all my other puppies.

The Alpha tool is far too complicated and is not the best tool on the market for training as I noted already, but it is the least complicated approach for providing tone, ecollar stimulation, and GPS while hunting. When I see something better I will buy it. If you read closely you will see most people who disparage the Alpha tool do not own one, and the real reason for that is they already owned an ecollar and they did not want to pay the price so they bought the cheaper Astro and run two collars on the dog...

I work my puppies on pigeons in launchers starting about 3 months of age. Get them pointing and holding a point, then I start shooting the bird and letting them retrieve. Then I hunt the hair off the dog on wild birds in its first season only shooting birds when the dog holds its point and lets me flush the birds. After its first season and before its second season I undertake steady to WSF and FF training.

When I am working the young puppy on pigeons in launchers I stay completely silent. I am developing the puppies natural ability to search for and point birds. If the puppy follows its nose towards the bird once it smells It, I launch the pigeon, it flies away, the puppy gives chase for a distance, I walk towards the next bird and call the puppy to come with me if necessary. Many times starting this young they will break off the chase and swing back to go with me on their own. It is a natural development not a discipline exercise. The DVDs lay all this out. I am just adding some content to bridge between some of the seemingly conflicting posts here.

The reason I followed up with this is because you will hear alot of folks say just get the dog into wild birds. No doubt that is critical and for the best. But if you do some foundation work first to establish the point, hold point and then retrieve behavior using the pigeons and launchers your pup will be much more likely to point wild birds and provide you some shooting early on, which is a good thing for both of you. Good performance brings more good performance so the puppy learning that pointing and holding a point is the best path to getting a bird in its mouth is the goal. Proper use of the launchers can quickly teach the pup that following their nose towards the scent/bird and getting too close scares the bird into flight and never results in a retrieve.

Best of Luck, post some photos of your pup when it arrives.
VC TJ's Highfalutin Hawkeye MH, UTI

VC TJ's Miss Filson MH, UTI R.I.P. 5/13/03-10/15/14

Thunderhead's All Jacked Up R.I.P. "My Buddy" 9/9/09-1/27/14

"I'd rather train for perfection than fix the problems of mediocrity" ~ Me

"There are always going to be those who prefer to freeze in the dark rather than put forth the effort to light a fire." ~ Lvrdg07
Coveyrise64
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby orhunter » Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:38 am

One thing you'll need to do beginning right away is gun introduction. You really can't start too early with this. Considering the kennel your pup is coming from, it probably won't be it's first taste but you do need to continue.
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby mtlhdr » Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:31 pm

I was in your shoes a little over five years ago when I brought home my first versatile pup. I'm going to repeat some of the excellent advise you've been given in the previous posts, but here's what I found most useful in the first year.
Patience
Crate
Check cord
6' leash
Large open space where you can comfortably and safely let your pup run and explore
A plan (DVDs and books, or a local trainer, can help with this)
Bird launcher
Source of excellent flying birds (I prefer pigeons)
Bumpers
At some point in the first year you'll probably want/need an e-collar and a gps collar (your pup likely will let you know when that is).
mtlhdr
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby rumbolt » Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:10 pm

Once again thanks everyone for the advice you guys are amazing I was not expecting so much advice when I posted this what a wonderful community.

Also yes this is my first DD pup and I have a bit of time yet till the pup so I am in preparation mode!

The parents scores are as followed:

Heather: VJP 70 HZP 185 VGP Prz1 310 BTR HD-A 10/11

Chief: VJP 71 HZP 183 VGP Prz11 290 HD-A 10/10
rumbolt
Started
Started

Postby JONOV » Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:26 pm

Aside from the leash/collar/check cord, don't go too nuts all at once.

You might find that some things you don't need as much, some things others don't you do...

Bumpers/Dokken's were like that with me. I never had much need for them. I used a couple when force fetching but that was it.
JONOV
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby mastercaster » Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:34 pm

JONOV wrote:Aside from the leash/collar/check cord, don't go too nuts all at once.

You might find that some things you don't need as much, some things others don't you do...

Bumpers/Dokken's were like that with me. I never had much need for them. I used a couple when force fetching but that was it.

I'm looking to buy a dokken to help with th training of my pup,,,,got one you want to sell? LOL
mastercaster
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby Hunters Edge » Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:16 pm

rumbolt wrote:Hey all, Il be getting a dd pup this spring (the mother was just bred a few weeks ago) and I was wondering if anyone has any thought on important thing to have for the first year of training? I live in an isolated area so I'm looking to do some ordering before the pup arrived. The following is a list of items I have picked up thus far for the first year.

-25 foot check chord
-several collars
-snap lead
-slip lead
-puppy/adult dummies vinyl/canvas
-ripstop chest protector for the upland when the pup gets bigger (tough terrain here)
- bed
-kennel/crate
-grooming brushes/blade
-Nyla Bones/ elk bone / puppy kong
- food/water bowls
-chewing deterrent spray

I've looked online at some other list and I think Im setup pretty good but if theres anything with thoughts on good things to have for the 1st year I would love to hear them!

Congrats Rumbolt, best wishes for your new pup.

I might of missed one or two but was added from what was posted.
Launchers
Whistle
Coops
6 ft lead
I would like to add to this list. Instead of one whistle buy three, one for the house you car/truck and one keep with hunting equipment vest coat etc. This will always have at hand a whistle to utilize and the same sound whistle as well.
More whistles
Pinch collar that one inch increments can be added or removed for length.
Emergency Medical equipment for home and afield.
Leatherman for in the field emergency (pulling quills, thorns, cutting wire etc.)
Neoprene vest if using dog for waterfowling, would wait tell pup is older for adequate size.
Blanks for shotgun
Blanks for starter pistol
Starter pistol
Might want to consider kids snap gun for puppy training.
Most important have fun. Keep the puppy having fun and wanting more do not over do, a little goes a long way.

Again best wishes
Dogs have shown us how short life is. Enjoy every day and God bless you
Hunters Edge
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby Drahthaar1108 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:10 am

Both parents tested well , so you should be off to a good start.
Welcome to the addiction, DD are great dogs ,they can be trained to do anything.
I also have a pup that is 6 months old, will be testing him for VJP in march at 7 months, we will see. Forrest
Drahthaar1108
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion