Blood Tracking Legislation introduced in Iowa!!

General Sporting Dog Discussion

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Blood Tracking Legislation introduced in Iowa!!

Postby Misskiwi67 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:27 pm

Vivian II vom Jagdkonig- VJP 71 HZP 191 VGP 262 Prize III
Arabella vom Hoheren Boden- VJP 74 HZP 181/189 VGP 281 Prize I
Harvest Moon Drahthaars- vom Herbstmond
Misskiwi67
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Re: Blood Tracking Legislation introduced in Iowa!!

Postby mastercaster » Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:44 pm

Can't understand why there'd be a fine for recovering the deer. Recovering the wounded animal sounds like a good thing. The other thing I question is why you can't bring a firearm along. What would the hunter do if the animal is wounded but not dead. Seems cruel not to quickly dispatch the animal and put it out of its misery. It's not like you could snap its neck like a wounded bird. Up here in BC there are no fines and you're allowed to bring your firearm along with you.
mastercaster
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby carramrod » Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:56 pm

Way I read it is there's a fine if you don't follow the rules not for recovering the deer.

A lot of states are afraid of running dogs on deer, hence the no weapons along. At least it's a step in the right direction, hopefully Kansas will follow suit.
carramrod
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby orhunter » Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:15 pm

Oregon is no gun while dog is tracking. But, no one is watching the hen house.
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:30 pm

F&G departments are completely missing the boat on using tracking dogs to recover deer. Nearly 100% of states allow hounds to be running loose hunting furbearers day or night, while placing unreasonable complete prohibitions or harmful restrictions (e.g. must be on a leash, no weapon present), on using dogs to recover wounded deer. Their paranoia about using the dogs to push deer does nothing but place unreasonable restrictions on Sportsmen trying to recover their deer. Meanwhile anyone wanting to push deer with a dog can do so under the guise of hunting furbearers, day and night. This is progress for Iowa vs the current situation but it is a shame the model being used is the same flawed one that exists in too many states elsewhere.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Misskiwi67 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:49 pm

AverageGuy wrote:F&G departments are completely missing the boat on using tracking dogs to recover deer. Nearly 100% of states allow hounds to be running loose hunting furbearers day or night, while placing unreasonable complete prohibitions or harmful restrictions (e.g. must be on a leash, no weapon present), on using dogs to recover wounded deer. Their paranoia about using the dogs to push deer does nothing but place unreasonable restrictions on Sportsmen trying to recover their deer. Meanwhile anyone wanting to push deer with a dog can do so under the guise of hunting furbearers, day and night. This is progress for Iowa vs the current situation but it is a shame the model being used is the same flawed one that exists in too many states elsewhere.

According to my DNR contacts, the #1 reason it hasn't had support for bills introduced previous years is because of worries of dogs running deer. I'd rather have a leash rule than none at all.
Misskiwi67
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:17 pm

Misskiwi67 wrote:According to my DNR contacts, the #1 reason it hasn't had support for bills introduced previous years is because of worries of dogs running deer. I'd rather have a leash rule than none at all.

Yes, just as I fully expected. Notions that allowing dogs to be used track wounded deer will lead to legions of dogs being used to push deer is asinine. If that were going to happen it would already be happening with hounds which are legally unleashed day and night.

Every hour of every day it is legal to let my dog run through my woods off leash. But if I were to state I was trying to recover a deer in doing so, I am suddenly illegal.

If this is the best law that can be passed so be it, but it is wrong headed.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Bigearl » Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:52 pm

Why is this law even necessary? Looks like just another bull$#*! leash law. Keep letting these things pass and one day will have to keep out hounds leashed while coon or cat hunting.
Bigearl
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby Misskiwi67 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:58 pm

Because currently, dogs are not allowed to pursue large game. I use my dogs on occasion with the hope that if I were ever caught, I could argue I was recovering game, not pursuing it.

That's one helluva grey area.

Why would EXPANSION of the use of dogs in hunting make you worried about your hounds???
Misskiwi67
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Misskiwi67 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:02 pm

AverageGuy wrote:
Misskiwi67 wrote:According to my DNR contacts, the #1 reason it hasn't had support for bills introduced previous years is because of worries of dogs running deer. I'd rather have a leash rule than none at all.

Yes, just as I fully expected. Notions that allowing dogs to be used track wounded deer will lead to legions of dogs being used to push deer is asinine. If that were going to happen it would already be happening with hounds which are legally unleashed day and night.

Every hour of every day it is legal to let my dog run through my woods off leash. But if I were to state I was trying to recover a deer in doing so, I am suddenly illegal.

If this is the best law that can be passed so be it, but it is wrong headed.

Unfortunately deer hunters have a hatred for hounds. Many have had hunts ruined by coyote dogs etc. we NEED bow hunters to support this to pass it. It's failed several times before and could fail again. I don't think there's a chance to pass it without that level of public support.

I love tracking and recovery. My goal with pushing this is to be able to advertise my dogs and track legally for anyone, not just a few friends that own their own land.
Misskiwi67
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Bigearl » Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:33 pm

Misskiwi.
Is it currently legal in your state to track wounded deer off leash?
Bigearl
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:05 am

MissKiwi, I understand it is an improvement over the current situation. I am just venting as to how ignorant F&G is on this issue. In my state it is illegal to shoot a dog for chasing deer or trespassing. Some coyote hunters take advantage of these laws to drive county roads and dump their hounds onto your property and you are powerless to do anything about it.

All that and yet F&G thinks they need to restrict a handful of tracking dogs working to recover a deer with a law requiring them to be on a leash and no weapon present. It defies any logical scrutiny. I know first hand how much more effective a dog is when allowed to work off leash, especially in the thick brush. The degree of ignorance and laziness of F&G departments on this issue steps on a nerve with me. Particularly when their wrong headed laws restrict the effective use my own dog on my own property!!!

Best of luck with your efforts on this, it is progress vs the current situation.

On the side, Government has overrun the people at all levels and F&G is no exception. And it is surprising how many dead deer my dog and I run across while squirrel and coon hunting off leash.

P.S. I wonder if the angle that might work is to allow dogs to be off leash on private property with the landowners permission. Raising it will at least bring a public discussion requiring Government to explain why they think it is best for them to dictate this restriction against the express wishes of the landowner involved...
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Misskiwi67 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:45 am

I don't think it's F&G that are ignorant. They have to stay out of it (per my insider contact).

Last time the major players against the bill was Iowa Bowhunters Association.
Misskiwi67
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Misskiwi67 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:48 am

Bigearl wrote:Misskiwi.
Is it currently legal in your state to track wounded deer off leash?

It is illegal to PURSUE deer with dogs... interpret that as you will
Misskiwi67
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby hicntry » Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:02 pm

Laws like this are a waste of time. Some of us spend way to much time breaking free range fur dogs off of deer to use them to track wounded deer down. I have killed as many deer as anyone and more than most and have never had the need to track one down. .....just don't take the shot unless you have a clean shot.
Ignorance can be fixed but stupid is forever.
Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible IF you don't know what you are talking about.

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Jim Beam in one hand, Airedale in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
hicntry
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Next

Return to General Discussion