PUP EATING POOPSICLES!

General Sporting Dog Discussion

Moderator: Moderator Pack

PUP EATING POOPSICLES!

Postby SERE Nate » Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:20 pm

I have a 13 week old WPG that has a bad habit of eating his own, or my bulldogs poop.

I have read that this could be the result of a lack of nutrient or stomach issue.

I try to pick up his poop daily, but sometimes he eats it as soon as it comes out!

I am feeding him Purina Pro Plan and he seems to like it well enough. It was what his breeder gave him as a pup too.

Any Vitamins that I should try?
SERE Nate
Started
Started

Re: PUP EATING POOPSICLES!

Postby orhunter » Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:19 pm

I'd test a different food. Try to reduce the amount of grain in his diet. I always mixed different food to get the balance I wanted. Also feed yogurt. No treats or edible chew toys like jerky, ears or rawhide.
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Sooty42 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:48 pm

My 5 month old Griff is doing well on Fromm large breed puppy food. He does not eat his poop or my other dog's poop, but he does eat quail, deer, elk, and donkey poop like it's candy. So if you think that's an improvement then try Fromm.
Sooty42
Started
Started

Postby SMAbby » Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:35 pm

I dont think anyone really knows why they do it. I have one that does it. I was going to use the e collar to stop it, but decided I would just be quicker about picking up the yard.
You can try Forbid, I have heard mixed reviews on that. Dont bother with Pineapple, that was a waste. Meat tenderizer just gave it more flavor.

Picking it up is best.

Just a observation I have had. A lot of poop eaters appear in the winter and tend to not do it in the summer time. Not sure why that is.

Mine digs the turdsicle up, tosses it around in the air, before gulping it down.
VC Max vom Schutzenknapp VJP 75, HZP190, VGP 303 PI 4H Nose, NA 112, UT 204 Invite 196
Baja vom Wamsbach VJP 64, HZP 169, NA 112
Anka vom Loofkamp VJP 66, HZP 139,HZP 172, NA 112
Krystal Creeks Untamed Spirit ( Abby) NA 93 Prize III UT 200 Prize II
SMAbby
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Duckdon » Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:17 pm

orhunter wrote:I'd test a different food. Try to reduce the amount of grain in his diet. I always mixed different food to get the balance I wanted. Also feed yogurt. No treats or edible chew toys like jerky, ears or rawhide.

orhunter, you might be on to something. I would suggest a food with a Broccoli listed in the top 3 ingredients. Nobody likes Broccoli...
Don and Crew.
Forgive me for being arrogant. I own 4 Drahthaars.
Tundramoor Drahthaar Kennel
Don Lietzau, Chugiak, Alaska
Duckdon
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby RowdyGSP » Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:08 pm

orhunter wrote:I'd test a different food. Try to reduce the amount of grain in his diet. I always mixed different food to get the balance I wanted. Also feed yogurt. No treats or edible chew toys like jerky, ears or rawhide.

Definitely experiment with a different food, even though PPP is good stuff and plenty of great dogs eat it. Also, I like the yogurt idea. Definitely a good idea with more probiotics.
"You have to be smarter than the dog to train it."
"A working dog is a happy dog."
"Semper Fi" HQ/11th
"Chukar: The first time you hunt them it's for sport. After that it's revenge."
RowdyGSP
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby 3drahthaars » Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:44 pm

We had 1 dog in about 12 that ate poop... it's own.

Anecdotally, it was the one that didn't seem to be wrapped too tight. He was also a chewer, had separation anxiety, etc., etc.

I tried everything to no avail...

Stopped when he died..

Good luck,

3ds
3drahthaars
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby JONOV » Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:39 am

3drahthaars wrote:We had 1 dog in about 12 that ate poop... it's own.

Anecdotally, it was the one that didn't seem to be wrapped too tight. He was also a chewer, had separation anxiety, etc., etc.

Stopped when he died..

Good luck,

3ds

Our (female) family Golden Retriever did this. Breeder told us she would, said "its a female dog thing." Just had to keep the yard picked up.
JONOV
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby carramrod » Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:58 pm

JONOV wrote:
3drahthaars wrote:We had 1 dog in about 12 that ate poop... it's own.

Stopped when he died..

Good luck,

3ds

Our (female) family Golden Retriever did this. Breeder told us she would, said "its a female dog thing." Just had to keep the yard picked up.

Interesting, only poop eater I know is a female as well, but she isn't species specific. Mostly goes for rabbit and deer poop.
carramrod
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby LongHammer » Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:43 pm

I recommend sending him to my house once a week :lol:
"The problem with quoting info from the internet is that you can never be sure it is accurate" Abraham Lincoln
LongHammer
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby SERE Nate » Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:50 am

Pineapple worked like a charm. I put 4 or 5 chunks in his food and 2 tablespoons of juice in his water. He loves it. Eats the pineapple before his food.

Withing 2 days, he hasn't touched his poop.

Only negative is that now I have more poop to pick up!
SERE Nate
Started
Started

Return to General Discussion