I forgot my pants :-/

General Sporting Dog Discussion

Moderator: Moderator Pack

I forgot my pants :-/

Postby SMAbby » Tue Dec 26, 2017 9:48 pm

You all loved my last story and videos so much, I thought I would add to it!! :D :lol:

Yup, Christmas morning hunt that I had to beg to get in. We had to drive from our place to his brothers place. Bout a 2 hour drive. I had planned on wearing my Frabil ice fishing pants. They are PERFECT for cold weather and wind while you hunt late season.

I get him and his parents dropped off and away I went. Bout mid way there it downed on me that Jim had cleaned out the truck......meaning our emergency cloths and my hunting frabils were taken out!! AGHHHHHHH!

Not being the kind that likes to hang out in the living room, talking to people that you havent seen or even spoken to in over a year, and NOW having to relive their year......I decided that I must adapt and over come...........the pants problem, not the people problem!!! :lol: :lol:

All I had on were my under armour tights...excuse me....base layer....and a pair of sweatpants. I did have my mendell boots. If I didnt, I would have had to pull off the road somewhere and sleep for the time I was suppose to be hunting. I had it planned just right. Dinner at 1pm. Hunt from 10 to 1230pm, eat, talk to a few people, smile, nod a few times, help clear the dished and put them into the dishwasher. Then mention that I need to get dogs home to warm up and eat.

Tempreture was 0 and the wind was about 15mph. NOt sure how to figure the windchill, but it was frigid.

I get to my place..NO ONE is there.........no one is ANYWHERE...YES!!!

I park and pull out Max and Anka and we get to work. We work this field pretty good. Dog is tracking well and has my interest. I turn my head to check on the pup.......as I turn my head back a rooster has risen from his snowy burrow and headed of behind me. It would have been a pretty easy shot. But the rooster, old pro no doubt, never left the tips of the cover. Not rooster is worth that shot.

We continued on and ended up with 3 very very nice hen points. I had them on my go pro......but my angle was screwed up and I didnt get the footage.

I kinda double back on the field this time on the west side of it, a quick turn around the corner and I was in a promising sedge/cattail area that yeilded nothing but a puffy bunny.
As I began to leave, I looked at my options. Im standing on the road, it is blocked off for about a mile easy. To my left is the refuge that is now open and it has corn rows in it. My right is pretty well covered ditch area.

I begint to walk the ditch with Anka and she goes on point pretty quickly. HEN. Good dog. We continue a litte further and a rooster jumped up. I took 1 shot and than another and I see him hit the corn rows on the other side of the road( Road is closed). Anka is on his tail. Again this is a time I question what is going on with max. He would always be on the shot. But he was running 1 way and the pup was dead on the bird? Makes me sad. Anyway, she runs him down and brings hint to me. SHe gets about 10 yards from me and Max snatches the bird from her grips! Any other dog and I would have way layed him for this.

So, now I walk the other side. as we get to the end, I loosen up...why? at the end you should be on your toes.....I dropped the ball. Wind was not right for whaere Max was. It was a crosswind. As we got tot he end, a bird got u p between Max and I. I still dont know what happened. It seemed like slow motion. I couldnt get my trigger finger going????? it was taking so long.....the bird was as open as ever as he soared across the open cut corn. Finally got my gun up. First shot should have stopped him. Clean miss, same with the second and thrid.....Oh well.

1215 time to head back to the truck. I have 1 rooster warming the small of my back, that would have to be it for the day and I was content with that.
VC Max vom Schutzenknapp VJP 75, HZP190, VGP 303 PI 4H Nose, NA 112, UT 204 Invite 196
Baja vom Wamsbach VJP 64, HZP 169, NA 112
Anka vom Loofkamp VJP 66, HZP 139,HZP 172, NA 112
Krystal Creeks Untamed Spirit ( Abby) NA 93 Prize III UT 200 Prize II
SMAbby
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Re: I forgot my pants :-/

Postby greg jacobs » Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:28 am

Bummer.
I got up early a couple weeks ago. A friend was going to pick me up to go chukar hunting. He showed up early so I jumped up and grabbed the stuff by the front door and headed out.
Got up there and headed out from the truck. I could feel the rocks under foot more than normal. I looked down and I still had my romeos on.
Just great. A couple hours later the frost started melting. Then I had wet feet with no support or traction. Ouch! I'm pretty sure I won't do that anytime soon again.
greg jacobs
Started
Started

Postby Constructeur » Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:20 pm

Addicted and I used to canoe to a few duck spots. One time I forgot the paddles at home. Good thing we both had shotguns with synthetic stocks!

I've gone fishing and forgot my waders.

I now pretty much pack everything but guns in the truck the night before, my brain isn't fully turned on at 0dark30 no matter how much sleep I've had.
Constructeur
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby GFORCE » Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:47 am

Forgot my gun once! Propped up against the tree where the truck was parked.
Had my wife meet me half way!
GFORCE
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby SMAbby » Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:30 pm

I have forgotten a multitude of things before. But that was the first time for pants! wasnt a ton of a big deal as I kinda road hunted with the dogs to keeo myself dry.
Only think I have actually called the hunt on was my Garmins. I wont have them hunt without their gaarmins. Safety first!
VC Max vom Schutzenknapp VJP 75, HZP190, VGP 303 PI 4H Nose, NA 112, UT 204 Invite 196
SMAbby
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Kiger2 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:32 pm

You are a trooper!!!!
Kiger2
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby JONOV » Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:14 am

Once I forgot my boots at home when I went deer hunting. I picked a close stand that I knew would be dry all the way there. I shot a deer wearing a pair of Allen Edmond's loafers.
Way to make hay while the sun shined!
JONOV
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby SMAbby » Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:07 am

I forgot boots. Just wen t to Fleet Farm and got a cheap pair. Now those stay in truck 24/7

Kiger- Dont know about being a trooper as i sit here with 103.7 temp. Body pain like I have never fely before and only a small hope that I will make it ou ther lats few days.
Lets hopw tamiflu.....which actually made me puke......and Codine cough syrup get me on my feeet again.
SMAbby
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Return to General Discussion