Dew Claws

General Sporting Dog Discussion

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Re: Dew Claws

Postby JONOV » Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:11 am

hicntry wrote:Personally, after reading the latest threads, I find myself wondering why most of you don't just get yourself a nice stuffed dogs that you can keep safely on a shelf. Looks like both actual hunters and real hunting dogs are on their way out.

That's a cheap shot. The only reason hunters remove them, (and have for decades in this country) is to keep from ruining their hunting trips. If, on my annual upland trip to the Dakota's, where I save all year to go, I had my dog tear one the first day in, I might change my tune and have them removed going forward.
JONOV
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby hicntry » Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:54 am

JONOV wrote:
hicntry wrote:Personally, after reading the latest threads, I find myself wondering why most of you don't just get yourself a nice stuffed dogs that you can keep safely on a shelf. Looks like both actual hunters and real hunting dogs are on their way out.

That's a cheap shot. The only reason hunters remove them, (and have for decades in this country) is to keep from ruining their hunting trips. If, on my annual upland trip to the Dakota's, where I save all year to go, I had my dog tear one the first day in, I might change my tune and have them removed going forward.

That is just life. Could have had an accident on the way to the Dakotas and been killed, along with your dog, also. Probably better odds of that happening. The removal of body parts so it doesn't upset a hunting trip blows my mind in itself. Whenever I took my dogs out I knew there was a good chance of serious injury or worse, but that is what they did and they loved it. The removal of body parts and the fear of things like parvo, blown tendons, cancer, hd kind of negates the joy of having working dogs. I will admit, today, dewclaws are not as important to domestic dogs, but, they serve an important service to any wild canine species. To argue the pros and cons makes no sense because it doesn't matter if they have them or not.

Several years ago I took two dogs on a hunt in Nevada. They got on a track and I spent the whole 3 days looking for them because there was no water in the area and temps were 10 degrees at night. Located them in the desert on the 3rd day . They were five miles apart and crossed two small mountain ranges. They were both badly dehydrated. That put a big damper on the trip for sure, but thank god, their dewclaws were all intact. It is part of taking dogs off the couch....sh!t can happen.
Ignorance can be fixed but stupid is forever.
Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible IF you don't know what you are talking about.

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Jim Beam in one hand, Airedale in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
hicntry
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby slistoe » Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:00 pm

hicntry wrote: It is part of taking dogs off the couch....sh!t can happen.

So your dogs don't have docked tails?
slistoe
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby JONOV » Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:15 pm

hicntry wrote:
JONOV wrote:

That is just life. Could have had an accident on the way to the Dakotas and been killed, along with your dog, also. Probably better odds of that happening. The removal of body parts so it doesn't upset a hunting trip blows my mind in itself. Whenever I took my dogs out I knew there was a good chance of serious injury or worse, but that is what they did and they loved it. The removal of body parts and the fear of things like parvo, blown tendons, cancer, hd kind of negates the joy of having working dogs. I will admit, today, dewclaws are not as important to domestic dogs, but, they serve an important service to any wild canine species. To argue the pros and cons makes no sense because it doesn't matter if they have them or not.

Several years ago I took two dogs on a hunt in Nevada. They got on a track and I spent the whole 3 days looking for them because there was no water in the area and temps were 10 degrees at night. Located them in the desert on the 3rd day . They were five miles apart and crossed two small mountain ranges. They were both badly dehydrated. That put a big damper on the trip for sure, but thank god, their dewclaws were all intact. It is part of taking dogs off the couch....sh!t can happen.

You're missing the point. My point is that people's experiences shape their behavior far more than anything else.

Someone that feels lousy for a day after a Flu shot might never get a flu shot again, despite the fact that the flu can lay you out for a week...

I know a few hunters that refuse to allow their dogs to wear neoprene vests duck hunting no matter how cold...Two swims out to free a stuck dog in danger of drowning cemented their opinion...

My Grandfather refused to ride in a convertible; he was an ER doc that had seen too many folks killed in them in the 60's.

I do all of the above. And my dog has dew claws. But if I have to go swimming tomorrow to free my dog from a snag or if I have a vet bill from his tearing a claw, my tune (may or may not) change.
JONOV
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby hicntry » Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:34 pm

slistoe wrote:
hicntry wrote: It is part of taking dogs off the couch....sh!t can happen.

So your dogs don't have docked tails?

Yes, my dogs tails are/were docked. The German dog wasn't docked and I got used to looking at it just like anyone else. Docking those tails for looks may be worse than
removing dewclaws for some remote chance of injury.
Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible IF you don't know what you are talking about.

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Jim Beam in one hand, Airedale in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
hicntry
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby slistoe » Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:31 pm

hicntry wrote:Yes, my dogs tails are/were docked. The German dog wasn't docked and I got used to looking at it just like anyone else. Docking those tails for looks may be worse than
removing dewclaws for some remote chance of injury.

Dogs tails are not docked for looks. I have a Lab who is 6 years old now and may very well end up with a docked tail - the last 2" no longer grows hair and one of these times it may not heal at all and then it will be major surgery time. When judging trials there were a couple of pointers on the circuit who would be streaked red down both sides every time they were put on the ground. Those dogs had their tails left on "for looks". That is an issue I will never have with one of my Brittanys.
Do you think they dock tails on sheep for "looks" as well?
slistoe
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby hicntry » Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:51 pm

slistoe wrote:Dogs tails are not docked for looks. I have a Lab who is 6 years old now and may very well end up with a docked tail - the last 2" no longer grows hair and one of these times it may not heal at all and then it will be major surgery time. When judging trials there were a couple of pointers on the circuit who would be streaked red down both sides every time they were put on the ground. Those dogs had their tails left on "for looks". That is an issue I will never have with one of my Brittanys.
Do you think they dock tails on sheep for "looks" as well?

OK. just so I understand. The Airedale is not even listed as a sporting dog. It is almost exclusively a pet or a show breed. What you are trying to sell is that all those show and pet people dock the Airedale tails so they can safely avoid any damage to the tail while out hunting them in the heavy brush??? :lol: :lol: And I suppose the dobies and other breeds today with croped ears are done so to prevent injury in the living room. :lol: :lol: Those days of things people did with a purpose are long gone son. It is all done for looks ....or on a whim today. There are a few exceptions such as hounds that are still done for a purpose Dew claws are not removed because the 1 in 2000 dewclaw injuries are lined up at the vets door. They are removed by the breeder because the buyers read this kind of stuff and want them removed to appear to be one of those in the know. By the way, aren't you the poster that has skinned out just boat loads of coyotes.....without ever noticing they all had dew claws???

Folks I got several bridges for sale. Any interested parties can PM me.
Last edited by hicntry on Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hicntry
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Bruce Schwartz » Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:08 pm

probably ought to move on to something less controversial - like man's role in global warming. Since science has nailed that one, the only question left is whether, as the planet warms, will dew claws become more or less necessary?
Bruce Schwartz
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby hicntry » Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:15 pm

+1

I am amazed that something so simple can be controversial. LOL

And yes...bad science nailed that one alright. LOL

Alright...enough of that. :angel: :angel:

hicntry
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby blue04 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:50 pm

hicntry wrote:OK. just so I understand. The Airedale is not even listed as a sporting dog. It is almost exclusively a pet or a show breed. What you are trying to sell is that all those show and pet people dock the Airedale tails so they can safely avoid any damage to the tail while out hunting them in the heavy brush??? :lol: :lol: And I suppose the dobies and other breeds today with croped ears are done so to prevent injury in the living room.

The simple answer is that these are hold-overs from days gone by when these breeds had actual work to do. The practice of docking, etc. became so common that it was considered the "standard" look for these breeds. So when people eventually got around to writing breed standards for show dogs, these things got included. No?

I've noticed that the show dog folks like to refer back to their dog's "intended functional purpose", even though 99% of the show dogs are completely unfit to perform that work.
blue04
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby LongHammer » Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:02 am

blue04 wrote:
hicntry wrote:OK. just so I understand. The Airedale is not even listed as a sporting dog. It is almost exclusively a pet or a show breed. What you are trying to sell is that

The simple answer is that these are hold-overs from days gone by when these breeds had actual work to do. The practice of docking, etc. became so common that it was considered the "standard" look for these breeds. So when people eventually got around to writing breed standards for show dogs, these things got included. No?

I've noticed that the show dog folks like to refer back to their dog's "intended functional purpose", even though 99% of the show dogs are completely unfit to perform that work.

Hey I got one of those fancy show dogs. Otto is the only one of his litter that isn't a show champion. His line are true versatIle hell on feathers, fur and show rings. :lol:
"The problem with quoting info from the internet is that you can never be sure it is accurate" Abraham Lincoln
LongHammer
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby hicntry » Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:15 pm

blue04 wrote:

Blue said it about as well as it can be said.

hicntry
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby LongHammer » Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:14 am

Says the guy who thinks cactus is to dangerous for his lion killer.

quote="hicntry"]
AverageGuy wrote:Easily into 5 figures of birddogs ran through the cactus and rocks this weekend in search of quail across the lower MW and SW. No big deal and has nothing in common with hunting hogs.
''

You have no idea if there were easily five figures of dogs run through this terrain or not. Why are the birds there in such numbers? Because the natural predators are smarter than many dog owners.....they hunt around it and not in it. When it comes down to it, it is your dog and you can put them at risk if you want. If it was my dog...and I only had one, or maybe two. I wouldn't be hunting them where I had to armor plate them and hope they didn't get injured. I have one dog now that has 13 generations of dangerous game behind him. Would I put this dog in jepardy? Not a chance. My need to be "one of the boys" is the least of my priorities.
Image[/quote]

Everything you said in this thread is complete BS. Stay on the patio with you snuggle monster and enjoy the show. :lol:
"The problem with quoting info from the internet is that you can never be sure it is accurate" Abraham Lincoln
LongHammer
Master Poster
Master Poster

Previous

Return to General Discussion