Dew Claws

General Sporting Dog Discussion

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Dew Claws

Postby Bruce Schwartz » Mon Dec 25, 2017 8:18 pm

Our nine week old WPG fell through ice today and was able to use his dew claws to pull himself out. They act like ice hooks so weight can be transformed forward so back feet can then help as well. Breeder purposely did not remove them for this explicit reason. Cowboy has them on front feet only.

[url=https://postimages.org/]Image[/url
Bruce Schwartz
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Re: Dew Claws

Postby blue04 » Mon Dec 25, 2017 8:57 pm

Do you really think they helped? I'm a bit skeptical.
blue04
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Bruce Schwartz » Mon Dec 25, 2017 9:09 pm

I was as well, but the breeder gave me this link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4XflsMEk-k&sns=fb
Bruce Schwartz
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Calvinator » Mon Dec 25, 2017 9:27 pm

I started leaving dew claws on my PP litters a while back. Most European imports that I've encountered still have dews.
Calvinator
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby greg jacobs » Tue Dec 26, 2017 12:30 am

I'd seen that video before. Pretty impressive. Thin ice freaks me out with my gsp's.
One of the breeders I use started leaving them on.
greg jacobs
Started
Started

Postby Smilin Jack » Tue Dec 26, 2017 1:38 am

Ice really worries me a LOT .... I hunt all tidal waters and have seen one Truly Tragic event . All of my Dogs have ALWAYS learned to respond to a comeback whistle . I never let them go further out on Ice than I can reach them in time .
If You Can't be a Good Example then You will just have to Serve as a Horrible Warning
Smilin Jack
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby RowdyGSP » Tue Dec 26, 2017 3:50 am

Smilin Jack wrote:Ice really worries me a LOT .... I hunt all tidal waters and have seen one Truly Tragic event . All of my Dogs have ALWAYS learned to respond to a comeback whistle . I never let them go further out on Ice than I can reach them in time .

Exactly. I prefer dew claws removed... but then again, I don't let my dogs go on unfamiliar ice (where I am unsure of the water depth below).
"You have to be smarter than the dog to train it."
"A working dog is a happy dog."
"Semper Fi" HQ/11th
"Chukar: The first time you hunt them it's for sport. After that it's revenge."
RowdyGSP
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby GONEHUNTIN' » Tue Dec 26, 2017 7:48 am

I find it very interesting. I have always had dew claws removed under the guise that "they'll tear them off in the field" in yet I have never seen a dog with torn dew claws. After watching that video I would certainly consider dew claws on.
I just hate seeing birds die of natural causes unless I'm that natural cause.
GONEHUNTIN'
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Tue Dec 26, 2017 7:59 am

Bruce, glad all turned out well.

I have seen that video before and it sure seems to make a case for leaving them on. Then you hear the tales from those whose dogs have ripped one off in the field and it gives me pause. All my Vdogs have had theirs removed but that is not evidence it is the best approach. Although I hated to do it, I have at times left my dog in the truck on some spring snow goose migration jump shooting due to patchy, unsafe ice conditions in the marsh. We have to make the right decisions for them when it comes to ice.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Doc E » Tue Dec 26, 2017 9:09 am

I've seen dogs with no dew claws climb right out just as well as those that have dew claws.
The main thing is to not let them go on "bad ice".
Doc E
HR UH MHR WR SR Casey RIP my friend :(
HRCH HR UH Tucker 1270 HR Ch. points :D
HRCH HR UH Weezle 250 HR Ch. points :)
Doc E
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Urban_Redneck » Tue Dec 26, 2017 9:36 am

5 tendons attach each front dewclaw, I suspect our creator envisioned a purpose for the appendage.
Urban_Redneck
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Tue Dec 26, 2017 9:47 am

Urban_Redneck wrote:5 tendons attach each front dewclaw, I suspect our creator envisioned a purpose for the appendage.

Same thought is always in my head. The coyotes seem to get along with their dew claws pretty well and they spend a lot of time in the brush albeit at much slower speeds which could sure make a difference in the threat of ripping one off. It could be that a very few occurrences of injuries with dew claws has put us all on a bad road of taking them off.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby hicntry » Tue Dec 26, 2017 10:50 am

I never took the dew claws off because they are used when eviscerating small game such as squirrels and rabbits. Probably why coyotes, foxes and wolves come with them as standard equipment.
Ignorance can be fixed but stupid is forever.
Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible IF you don't know what you are talking about.

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Jim Beam in one hand, Airedale in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
hicntry
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Calvinator » Tue Dec 26, 2017 10:04 pm

The Beaceron, a French herding breed, is required to have double dews on the rear. I know of only one dog to ever tear a dew claw. It was an Australian Shepherd. She did it jumping out of the car.
Calvinator
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby slistoe » Wed Dec 27, 2017 12:31 am

hicntry wrote:I never took the dew claws off because they are used when eviscerating small game such as squirrels and rabbits. Probably why coyotes, foxes and wolves come with them as standard equipment.

I skinned a dozen coyotes so far this year and never really paid attention - but if they did have dew claws I have never cut around one while skinning. Will have to check on the next one I get - if we ever get out of this -30 cold snap so a guy can go outside for more than 20 min.
slistoe
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Next

Return to General Discussion