Brown Pickup Looks Like a Deer

General Sporting Dog Discussion

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Brown Pickup Looks Like a Deer

Postby Doc E » Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:31 pm

From Fox News :

Marvin C. Miller, 26, of Middlefield, was hunting near Snake Forest Road in North Harmony around 11:20 a.m. when he thought he spotted a deer, but it turned out to be a brown pickup truck, Chautauqua County Sheriff’s Office said in a news release. He fired his 7-mm. high-powered scoped rifle at the truck, striking the front fender of the driver’s side. Sheriff Joe Gerace told The Post-Journal Miller was “absolutely irresponsible.”

“Firing this weapon at first blush with no target, it’s absolutely irresponsible,” Gerace said. “It’s very concerning. We should be able to get through a hunting season without tragedy. This kind of thing just shouldn’t happen.”

The bullet missed the unidentified driver and the passenger, Robert Merritt, of Springboro, Pa., by just a few feet, according to The Post-Journal. The bullet also punctured the engine compartment and “disabled” the vehicle.

Miller came out of the woods to check on Merritt and the driver. He was arrested and charged with discharging a firearm across a public roadway and second-degree reckless endangerment. He was released on bail and could face additional charges after an investigation.

Friday’s incident was the second hunting accident in western New York within a week. Thomas Jadlowski was hunting on Wednesday when he thought he saw a deer and fired his high-powered pistol — but struck 43-year-old Rosemary Billquist instead. Jadlowski rushed to the woman’s side and called 911 while applying pressure to her wound. She later died in the hospital

Doc E
HR UH MHR WR SR Casey RIP my friend :(
HRCH HR UH Tucker 1270 HR Ch. points :D
HRCH HR UH Weezle 250 HR Ch. points :)
Doc E
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Re: Brown Pickup Looks Like a Deer

Postby Wilkey » Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:35 pm

And stories like this is why, I'm paranoid walking in and out of my stand. I've seen things that look like deer but have never shot at them. No excuses for this behavior.
Wilkey
Started
Started

Postby GONEHUNTIN' » Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:34 pm

Pitiful.
I just hate seeing birds die of natural causes unless I'm that natural cause.
GONEHUNTIN'
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby orhunter » Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:37 pm

You can’t fix stupid.......
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby JONOV » Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:59 am

This is why my dog wears an orange vest during deer season, even in a state where we can hunt deer with dogs and you can't shoot them for chasing deer.
JONOV
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby blue04 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:43 am

In the "second incident" they mentioned where the hunter shot and killed a woman. I read the original article on that one and it indicated that the hunter who shot her was illegally trespassing on the property where he shot her because he didn't have permission to hunt there, and it was already 40 minutes past the end of legal shooting light when she was shot.

Apparently there was a vacant field owned by one of the woman's neighbors, and she did have permission to walk her dogs there.
blue04
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby orhunter » Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:46 am

Yea, red vest on dog and me in ND. Kinda creepy having deer hunters hunting the same section as me’n the dog.

One day dog pointed five different bucks, one was pretty nice. No rifle, no tag. Bummer.
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Tue Nov 28, 2017 5:53 pm

What a shame about the lady who was shot and killed.

The county I lived in before moving recently had a fatality just a few years back. Some moron was target shooting with a rifle absent a safe backstop. A woman was driving on a county road when one his shots struck and killed her while driving.

In a population of 32x Million we are going to have some low performers but this just makes you shake your head and wonder how low can it go.

I never stop hunting for fear of getting shot. I know the statistical reality is the real danger is all the driving I do to get to spots to hunt.

Harvey, last week I took a day off from 8 days of rifle hunting for a big buck I never saw, and Spud and I took a rooster hunt in CRP chest to head high. Spud put up a nice buck and doe that were honeymooning in the grass. Moments later a very large bodied fully mature pig of a 150 class 8 point came running down to us from up wind. Spud and the Buck squared off and danced around each other about 20 yards from where I stood getting an eyeful! Always a thrill to see a big mature buck.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Duckdon » Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:14 pm

That why the paint John Deere Tractors bright green.
Don and Crew
Forgive me for being arrogant. I own 4 Drahthaars.
Tundramoor Drahthaar Kennel
Don Lietzau, Chugiak, Alaska
Duckdon
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby ryanr » Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:33 am

blue04 wrote:In the "second incident" they mentioned where the hunter shot and killed a woman. I read the original article on that one and it indicated that the hunter who shot her was illegally trespassing on the property where he shot her because he didn't have permission to hunt there, and it was already 40 minutes past the end of legal shooting light when she was shot.

Apparently there was a vacant field owned by one of the woman's neighbors, and she did have permission to walk her dogs there.

Yeah, I read it too. That guy is a scumbag and an idiot, he probably wont get it but I hope they ask for maximum penalties,on all charges. He should never be able to own a gun or have hunting license ever again as well. That poor woman, I can't even imagine.
ryanr
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:41 am

AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:20 pm

Studying public hunting area options online just now and see another one. http://www.iowadnr.gov/About-DNR/DNR-Ne ... bon-County
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby orhunter » Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:23 pm

Been more than one guy shot by their dog, usually duck hunters. I’m always real careful where I put my guns when they’re not in my hands. Such accidents aren’t always accidents when a lack of brain cells enters the picture.
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:26 pm

Can't say why but dogs always step on a gun if laid on the ground. If I am forced by some circumstance to ever lay a gun down in the boat, blind etc, I always clear the chamber first with that in mind. And I instruct those hunting with me to the do the same. Just seen it too many times to do otherwise.

I have also put a sling on all my shotguns now. Really helps safe gun handling when watering dogs, taking retrieved birds and putting into the vest, etc.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby GONEHUNTIN' » Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:15 pm

AverageGuy wrote: with that in mind. And I instruct those hunting with me to the do the same. Just seen it too many times to do otherwise.

I have also put a sling on all my shotguns now. Really helps safe gun handling when watering dogs, taking retrieved birds and putting into the vest, etc.

I have them on all of mine and my son's as well. I don't know why everyone doesn't do it. Much more comfortable to carry. Damned old age.
I just hate seeing birds die of natural causes unless I'm that natural cause.
GONEHUNTIN'
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Return to General Discussion