A couple of good days with a young dog.

General Sporting Dog Discussion

Moderator: Moderator Pack

A couple of good days with a young dog.

Postby SMAbby » Sun Nov 26, 2017 7:50 pm

Jim and I decided to head out yesterday for a quick afternoon duck hunt/watch trip.
This time we brought our 17 month old Kleine Munsterlander, Anka. She had never been in a boat before and never experienced cold water. But since it water before.
It was a warm enough day, so we took her.

She really enjoyed the boat ride out there to the spot. I got to drive the boat and feel more and more confident as we go. I even backed the boat down in less that 10 minutes this time!:lol::lol:

We got parked and Jim took dekes out. Anka followed along. At one point I caught her stalking the decoys!:lol:
I really didnt put to many restrictions on her, I wanted it to be a good experience.

NOTHIN was flying our way. COuld see all kinds in the marsh! First duck, a hen mallard, flared from us......Not sure why.
Next duck that came in, Jim and I did a group effort to get it. By this time, Anka was curled up in a ball sleeping at my feet. So she was slow on the up take!:rolleyes:
SHe heard the shots and stood alert on the deck. I told her to fetch, and she looked at me, and then the dekes. Her look told the story. Mom, you just got done telling to to STOP playing with the decoys, and now you want me to go out there?
So, Jim got out of the boat and helped her to begin her search. The duck was wounded and on the run. Luckily she couldnt dive. Jim calmly took her to the last known location. She picked up the track and in about 5 minutes, produced her first wild duck!!!

Very proud of this litte girl. she did that yesterday and today she had 5 points. 1 point on a hen and 4 on roosters that died quickly. SHe is coming on nice! Enjoy the pictures.

Our hide. The mojo is facing us.

Anka stalking the dekes:lol:

Family selfie

Sleepy pup

Anka's Retreive

May favorite

Beaautiful

Jim

Phezaholic

I must have been thanking the Phez Gods or something?

Anka took the bird to her house:lol:

Someone got skunked

Days tally 5 roosters. 4 over Anka points. 3 quail over Baja points.
VC Max vom Schutzenknapp VJP 75, HZP190, VGP 303 PI 4H Nose, NA 112, UT 204 Invite 196
Baja vom Wamsbach VJP 64, HZP 169, NA 112
Anka vom Loofkamp VJP 66, HZP 139,HZP 172, NA 112
Krystal Creeks Untamed Spirit ( Abby) NA 93 Prize III UT 200 Prize II
SMAbby
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Re: A couple of good days with a young dog.

Postby JTracyII » Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:54 am

Beautiful dogs... Looks like you guys are living the dream. Keep the stories and photos coming. I heard that Pheasant are looking pretty good in Iowa this year?
JTracyII
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby mtlhdr » Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:28 am

Very nice (except for the skunk...yuk)!
mtlhdr
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby JONOV » Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:43 am

I always love your pictures!
JONOV
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby RowdyGSP » Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:16 pm

Great pictures and that looks like a super ducky marsh to set up in. Love it. And the friggin' tail on that rooster! Beautiful bird.
"You have to be smarter than the dog to train it."
"A working dog is a happy dog."
"Semper Fi" HQ/11th
"Chukar: The first time you hunt them it's for sport. After that it's revenge."
RowdyGSP
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby SMAbby » Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:22 pm

The pictures were taken at Big Marsh in Parkersburg Iowa. It was so beautiful that day. I really enjoyed the flock of geese that flew above. You could almost touch them. The dog just didnt get why we didnt shoot.

It got me to thinking about opening day duck season. Sure, we train fro NAVHDA and JGHV. But we are only doing a shot or 2 at a time. Where is the realism when it comes to the HUNDREDS of shots going of in the marsh. I have not experienced this yet, but as explained to me it is crazy. You cant train for that. How do you maintain control of your dog when you are hearing shots all around birds dropping all around, and from what I here, getting peppered by rounds?
VC Max vom Schutzenknapp VJP 75, HZP190, VGP 303 PI 4H Nose, NA 112, UT 204 Invite 196
SMAbby
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:55 pm

Your boat blind looks great in that marsh.

I avoid public area opening morning waterfowl hunts. I go out in the afternoon which usually thins the numbers down by more than half of what were present in the morning and allows us to setup in daylight to assure we are far enough away from someone else to get the hunting experience I am after. Public area dove hunts prepare my dogs for the volume gunning in the marsh and are alot easier to introduce and manage from a training perspective.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby SMAbby » Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:16 pm

AverageGuy wrote:Your boat blind looks great in that marsh.

I avoid public area opening morning waterfowl hunts. I go out in the afternoon which usually thins the numbers down by more than half of what were present in the morning and allows us to setup in daylight to assure we are far enough away from someone else to get the hunting experience I am after. Public area dove hunts prepare my dogs for the volume gunning in the marsh and are alot easier to introduce and manage from a training perspective.

Thank you :-)
SMAbby
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby blue04 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:25 pm

SMAbby wrote:Where is the realism when it comes to the HUNDREDS of shots going of in the marsh. I have not experienced this yet, but as explained to me it is crazy. You cant train for that.

You should try a public dove field on opening day. It's a real exercise in patience for a young dog. I've seen folks spend their entire day walking all over the field to return other people's birds that their dog retrieved. It's a good chance to reinforce your "sit", "stay", and "no bird" commands.
blue04
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby marysburg » Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:21 pm

'Your pics are so good, and I love the narrative. The 'sleepy pup' pic reminded me of one very windy day at a NAVHDA test when I took my jacket off to wrap over the shoulders of my wet and shivering pup. As we sat on the hilltop in the gallery, someone came up to me and told me to put my coat back on, because the coat was worth more than the dog was. That guy was an arsehole, and the dog went on to be a UT 204, and a local legend. She can wear my coat anytime. Your pup had a very good trip, and thanks for sharing the adventures with us.
marysburg
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby ryanr » Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:28 pm

I love it Mary, great narrative and great photos. Boy you guys went all in on the duck hunting!
ryanr
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby SMAbby » Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:46 pm

ryanr wrote:I love it Mary, great narrative and great photos. Boy you guys went all in on the duck hunting!

Have to do it while we have the time and ability. My husband is 16 years older than me. I want to duck hunt with him before I am changing his pants and pushing his wheel chair.

The 2 deck fall I took in the Navy is very much catching up with me. My husband MAY be pushing me around before I,him.

Basically, time is short. Clock is ticking on one of us, pain is setting in on the other. It is all in or nothing. :lol:
SMAbby
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Return to General Discussion