New member, New dog questions

General Sporting Dog Discussion

Moderator: Moderator Pack

New member, New dog questions

Postby NewDDNC » Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:42 am

Hi there, I'm struggling on deciding on a dog that will fit all my needs. I moved from WA state to NC 8 years ago and my needs for a dog have changed. Before I had a lab for ducks/geese, quail and pheasant. Now my family bowhunts deer 4 months out of the year. 1st Blood tracking will be priority and also something I want to be involved in as a hobby with me and the dog, 2nd the dog is a family pet for me and my kids who are 9 and 7. 3rd is 8 - 10 duck/goose hunts a year and 1 out of state trip a year. Squirrels and then rabbit as well with my kids. Initially I wanted a Drahthaar but I don't upland bird hunt. I like the strict breeding guidelines and their strong hunt/prey drive and ability to track. But is it a waste to have a DD and not hunt upland birds? I've also looked at a teckel and boykin.
NewDDNC
Pup
Pup

Re: New member, New dog questions

Postby ANick » Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:06 pm

For any one person, or family, the needs vary. Lots of versatile breeds get used for mainly one aspect of their abilities with a dabbling in one other. In the US the term 'versatile' tends to mean something on the order of, 'hunts upland and waterfowl'. Not throwing rocks at NAVHDA, but that's all the tests there really cover.

So, in a sense, if you are doing fur and waterfowl, you are sort of balancing the scales. If at some point you or the kids want to go after upland, the option is there.

I'd include the Watchelhund, the KLM, DL, PP and the DK in your deliberations ... with a good amount of due consideration of hunting climates and temps. Lots of choices, but if you are set on and liking the DD, I don't see a foul. :)

Nick
ANick
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:58 pm

I think what matters most is to give a dog the most work in the field as possible.

Your plans will be using the dog to hunt fur, waterfowl and blood track so that can provide alot of outings and versatile use. I think most DD breeders would be comfortable placing a dog with you with that plan. If you choose you can easily mix in some upland bird work along the way, either in your travels or released birds locally. If you are traveling to hunt hunt waterfowl it is easy to go to areas which have excellent upland bird hunting in the same area and you may find you want to work some in, in which case it is nice to have a dog with the aptitude for it.

Covering 3 of the 4 bases with alot of work would not waste a DD, or some other breed, in my view. Trained for the task DDs are good at tracking blood, Teckels are better, but the DD is going to far surpass a Teckel for Waterfowl retrieving.

Best of luck with your decision and pup.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby mtlhdr » Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:56 am

Why not another lab?
mtlhdr
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Return to General Discussion