Breed Advice Needed

General Sporting Dog Discussion

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Breed Advice Needed

Postby Sarge » Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:14 pm

Hello guys and gals,

I'm hoping to absorb some wisdom from members here regarding what versatile breed would be best for my needs. My lab is 11 now and I have basically retired him because it takes him 3 days to recover from a hunt. The drive is still there but I hate to see him hurting.

I'm looking for a dog that can handle ducks and geese, sometimes with ice involved, upland hunting, as well as track blood trails (deer) and hunt for shed antlers. My first choice would have been a DD but my wife has a couple indoor cats the dog will need to get along with and I'm worried that a DD will do what they have been bred to do to anything with fur. I don't want a dog that shows any sharpness towards people or other dogs. I have a 4 and 7 year old and the dog will live in the house, and I have a decent sized fenced yard for exercise as well as a big field at the top of the street I can train in. I also take the dogs for long hikes when I'm training for elk hunting. Lastly, I'm far from a pro trainer, but am confident that I can handle most dogs. I took my lab from OB through force-fetch up to a SH level. Also, I don't hunt fur.

Open to all recommendations,
Thanks!
Sarge
Pup
Pup

Re: Breed Advice Needed

Postby Calvinator » Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:00 pm

Sarge,
A well socialized DD that grows up with indoor cats will most likely fit your needs. A Pudelpointer might be a slightly better choice as they tend to have a more happy go lucky temperament than the DDs I have seen, which are more serious. My German registered PP will catch and kill outdoor cats, but leaves all the indoor cats alone. I don't hunt fur, but he has also caught and killed raccoons and opossum. He is sweet with people as a PP should be. He gets along well with all other dogs just as a PP should. I currently have 6 PP. They all get along, work and live together.
Calvin
Calvinator
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby randomnut » Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:34 pm

What kind of weather do you duck hunt in?
randomnut
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby JONOV » Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:55 pm

Others may have different experiences, but when brought around cats as puppies, at an age and size where cats can hold their own against the pup, it seems to imprint that “that cat” is part of the household. My dog wants both more than to catch a cat, but my in-laws cat, which stood up to him since the time she outweighed my dog, his demeanor around her changes.
JONOV
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby Smilin Jack » Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:19 am

X2 what Calvinator said . My PP hunts Ducks in some nasty weather late season but it doesn't slow her down a bit . Around the house she is very entertaining . Will take care of fur when needed but just corners and barks at the neighbors cats but will steal their food . My Wife absolutely love her .
A PP is just a chocolate Lab that needs a haircut and a shave :lol:
Attachments
IMAG0091.jpg
If You Can't be a Good Example then You will just have to Serve as a Horrible Warning
Smilin Jack
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby orhunter » Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:01 am

Smilin' Jack: Love that dog of yours. You may want to delete what you said about your comparison of PP to Lab?

Bob Farris has sent me a bunch of photos of his dogs duck hunting in lower single digits, covered with ice, no coat and lovin' it. The breed can take some pretty harsh conditions. You can probably find some of those photos on his website.
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby mgrucker » Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:13 am

My PP will chase our cat any time she ventures out in the open. The few times he's cornered her he doesn't know what to do other than jump around and bark in her face so I don't think he would actually hurt her. I think he just wants to play the same as he would with another dog. The only thing I worry about is when he catches her on the run he's a 65lb dog colliding with her or stepping on her but he doesn't bite or anything. We made "safe spaces" for the cat by using a couple of the cat door things linked at the end. The cat has the basement and laundry room she can escape to through the cat hole where the dog can't follow.

Our PP was a puppy who grew up with the cat though. My parent's lab, who has never been around cats, seems much more aggressive towards the cat when he's over. I haven't ever let him get too close to find out what would happen though. I think the advice about if they grew up with the cat it will be OK is sound.

https://www.amazon.com/Cat-Door-Origina ... B000AU64PK
mgrucker
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby Misskiwi67 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:44 am

DDs that have been raised with cats can do very well with good training and supervision. Get a puppy from a line that doesn't emphasize fur hunting beyond the bare minimum. My Jagdkonig dog was much better with my cats than my other dog.

I have seen a couple instances where the cats get old and act sickly and the dynamic changes. If you are aware of that, you can manage it.

You will struggle to add a new kitten to the household. If the wife is not ok with that, you will want a breed with more tolerance of small creatures, like a pointing griffon.
Vivian II vom Jagdkonig- VJP 71 HZP 191 VGP 262 Prize III
Arabella vom Hoheren Boden- VJP 74 HZP 181/189 VGP 281 Prize I
Misskiwi67
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Misskiwi67 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:46 am

As an additional anecdote. We hunt fur a LOT with my DDs. They struggle with shed hunting because they are hunting fur first.
Vivian II vom Jagdkonig- VJP 71 HZP 191 VGP 262 Prize III
Arabella vom Hoheren Boden- VJP 74 HZP 181/189 VGP 281 Prize I
Misskiwi67
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Sarge » Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:06 am

randomnut wrote:What kind of weather do you duck hunt in?

Thanks everyone for the responses. Random nut, to answer your question we typically hunt late season (once deer tags are filled) in a large pond with an ice eater to create a hole in the ice...it's pretty cold. The pond is 2 miles from a power plant lake that never freezes, so the birds don't start using it until everything else is locked up with ice.

Regarding the cats; they are 12 years old...i'm afraid a dog that pesters them will lead to the cats "acting out" and peeing on the carpet, etc. Which would create a really big problem for me with the wife, lol. We have a large house with multiple escape routes for the cats, as well as a gated basement with a cat-sized door cut in it. The cat's food and litter boxes are down there. However, the cats were declawed when we rescued them so they cannot defend themselves at all.

My wife made a proposal that I may have to take her up on...get another retriever now, then I can get a DD when the cats are gone...but that could take a decade. We are in agreement that we won't be getting any more cats once these are gone...because who wants a box of $#*! in their house?

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I'll read up on PP's and Griffons.
Sarge
Pup
Pup

Postby orhunter » Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:30 am

MissK: Griffon, "more tolerance for small creatures." I guess you've never seen the photo of my old Griff fetching the neighbor's cat. My current Griff has been in on a few cat kills but probably never participated. She's in it for the chase but is a big sissy when the cat stops and hisses at her. Scared to death of them. Kinda funny.
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby JONOV » Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:52 am

orhunter wrote:MissK: Griffon, "more tolerance for small creatures." I guess you've never seen the photo of my old Griff fetching the neighbor's cat. My current Griff has been in on a few cat kills but probably never participated. She's in it for the chase but is a big sissy when the cat stops and hisses at her. Scared to death of them. Kinda funny.

It is of course a risk with any dog, moreso a hunting breed. But, the key difference is that Griff owners and breeders don't test or certify HN.
JONOV
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby ryanr » Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:37 pm

Sarge wrote:Hello guys and gals,

I'm hoping to absorb some wisdom from members here regarding what versatile breed would be best for my needs. My lab is 11 now and I have basically retired him because it takes him 3 days to recover from a hunt. The drive is still there but I hate to see him hurting.

I'm looking for a dog that can handle ducks and geese, sometimes with ice involved, upland hunting, as well as track blood trails (deer) and hunt for shed antlers. My first choice would have been a DD but my wife has a couple indoor cats the dog will need to get along with and I'm worried that a DD will do what they have been bred to do to anything with fur. I don't want a dog that shows any sharpness towards people or other dogs. I have a 4 and 7 year old and the dog will live in the house, and I have a decent sized fenced yard for exercise as well as a big field at the top of the street I can train in. I also take the dogs for long hikes when I'm training for elk hunting. Lastly, I'm far from a pro trainer, but am confident that I can handle most dogs. I took my lab from OB through force-fetch up to a SH level. Also, I don't hunt fur.

Open to all recommendations,
Thanks!

So get another Labrador.
ryanr
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby LongHammer » Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:59 pm

I would like to have a dog that is breed to hunt both feather and fur but not my wife's cat. :lol: The only real solution I see is to get a new wife that does not like cats. :crazyeyes:
"The problem with quoting info from the internet is that you can never be sure it is accurate" Abraham Lincoln
LongHammer
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby Sarge » Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:57 pm

LongHammer wrote:I would like to have a dog that is breed to hunt both feather and fur but not my wife's cat. :lol:

Basically this, lol. Sounds stupid when I say it out loud.
Sarge
Pup
Pup

Next

Return to General Discussion