Does thes strike you as odd?

General Sporting Dog Discussion

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Does thes strike you as odd?

Postby 3drahthaars » Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:35 pm

Got a FB feed from the local NAVHDA chapter about a great training day, yesterday.

FWIW, yesterday was the opener of the second split of duck season, with cold in the North, a front recently pushing in, and my pup pointing a woodcock in my backyard on Friday, it had the makings of a Homeric day.

I missed getting out, because I had to go into work to supervise contractors doing PMs... and, I'm pretty disappointed at that (and intend to get out this coming week).

But, why are "versatile" dogs training on the duck opener?

Or, is it just me?

3ds
3drahthaars
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Re: Does thes strike you as odd?

Postby orhunter » Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:47 pm

You've got to understand more and more NAVHDA people aren't hunters.
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby 3drahthaars » Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:22 pm

From what I've seen...

... not just NAVHDA.

And, more and more seem afraid to hunt a "cash cow".

3ds
3drahthaars
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Urban_Redneck » Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:21 pm

Not everyone hunts ducks.
Folks have young dogs that need training.
It's a social function.

My chapter has it's last meet in September and resumes in March or April.
Urban_Redneck
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby Doc E » Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:12 pm

HRC has very very few Hunt Tests, once hunting seasons open.
"Conceived by hunters for hunters".
Doc E
HR UH MHR WR SR Casey RIP my friend :(
HRCH HR UH Tucker 1270 HR Ch. points :D
HRCH HR UH Weezle 250 HR Ch. points :)
Doc E
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Kiger2 » Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:36 pm

Doc,
Very few, but they do have some right?

Otherwise yes on the other comments. My first nice dog never saw a duck blind till she was 9. I just didn't hunt ducks. We just killed the crap out of the chukars.
Kiger2
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby ryanr » Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:45 pm

In my chapter, come hunting season in October you're lucky to even get a timely answer to an e-mail inquiry about our chapter from one of us. All our focus turns to hunting. Our last training was late September & we ran our last test the first weekend in October. Almost immediately after that half our board took off for various hunting trips. Personally I dont know of any chapter that trains once hunting season arrives.
ryanr
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby 3drahthaars » Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:27 pm

May just be me... I try to hunt my pup at least every weekend.

Seems a waste to miss one day.

Not sure of why to get a versatile dog and not at least hunt both upland and waterfowl...

... I'm sure some of these dogs are getting bred and marketed as versatile Hunter's.

Big difference from versatile "testers".

3ds
3drahthaars
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby randomnut » Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:50 am

Not odd at all from what I've seen. Hunting is tough and takes some effort. During training days, you can get lots of nice pics for social media, without so much work, and getting good pics of your dog is important.

Too many want the look a versatile dog has, so they can post up nice pics with game. These dogs are turning into a status symbol for many.

That being said, I'm stupid proud of mine and take tons of pics also, but we hunt, a lot.

I've never been to a training day that I thought my dogs learned anything. Learning takes place while hunting, there is no substitute.
randomnut
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby Urban_Redneck » Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:54 am

Another reason that was related to me a while back was a chapter that was running a "pay to play" under the guise of "training days". IIRC, one or two of the officers were skimming bucks off the bird sales.
Urban_Redneck
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby Deuce » Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:40 am

I see both sides. I'm making the assumption based off location you're speaking of Carolina's?

Tough to say, some aren't hunters. Some don't hunt a ton. Others maybe on that day it's better for their schedule to go to training than hunt... who knows? I'm new to NC, and I will say from what I have found access here is terrible to come by, particularly in the middle of the state. Granted I'm new, and still learning the game here, but depending on where you live it's not the easiest to navigate where and when you can hunt.

Should people be hunting every chance they get? Of course. At the same time, in today's culture I'll take people that are open to v-dogs and hunting that may not actually do much of it. I tend to take a "meet folks where they're at approach".

Now, shameless ask, if you want to show a newbie to NC the ropes on ducks, quail, etc. I'm all in! Went out in search of woodcock yesterday (without a gun, THANK YOU ANTIQUATED LAWS), and didn't come upon any. I'll find them eventually.
Deuce
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby orhunter » Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:42 am

Randomnut: "Never been to a training day that I thought my dogs learned anything." Same here. I used to volunteer as a trainer/helper for the "other" folks but didn't want my own dogs doing any of that stuff. Maybe some tracking but that's it. I paid for birds I never got.
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby JONOV » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:31 am

Well, I left my waders in North Dakota and still shivered for three hours Saturday morning at the local game lands. After I flooded my boots I just stood in knee waist deep water.

Duck hunting in NC is a so-so proposition, and some of it depends on your access to land, boat, etc...I was pleasantly surprised that the game lands weren't an absolute gongshow, I've heard so many horror stories. It was my first time duck hunting since I moved down, and I can't wait to get out again. I know at least one guy that doesn't bother in NC anymore, just spends 8-10 days a year in Arkansas.

I've also attended that same chapter you're talking about and talked to a guy who owns a nice dog but was so anxious about snakes, gators, etc he might run into in the swamps...He said, "i've got so much invested in him..." This was true, and he was a very nice dog, and the owner was very devoted to him, but the dog hadn't run a UT test yet... I've never really thought about it, and while I won't go to southeastern NC for the early split, I just take it as a risk of hunting/living in NC. I know a guy that had his pup bit by a copperhead in a Raleigh subdivision not a mile from the shopping mall and interstate.

But, there are plenty of folks that are simply dog enthusiasts and NAVHDA or whatever is their game of choice or flavor of the week.

I will say, while I don't think duck hunting bears a lot of resemblance to the Duck Search, I do think that duck hunting does wonders for the dog do develop the skill set to perform that event. My dog, for all his shortcomings, understands that when I send him, that there is probably a duck out there and he should find it.

Folks that don't duck hunt with their dog, wonder about "how do I get her to expand the search?" "How do I get her to work beyond the cover barrier?" Maybe if you took the dog out and made her sit all morning with you and shot a few, even if they're chip-shot retrieves, even if the dog marks them well and gets right to them, would put the pieces together in the dog's mind.
JONOV
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby booger » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:43 am

randomnut wrote:I've never been to a training day that I thought my dogs learned anything. Learning takes place while hunting, there is no substitute.

I've seen lots of dogs learn plenty on our weekly training days. But most of the learning is being done by the handlers, which is important IMO.
booger
Pup
Pup

Postby carramrod » Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:43 pm

booger wrote:
randomnut wrote:I've never been to a training day that I thought my dogs learned anything. Learning takes place while hunting, there is no substitute.

I've seen lots of dogs learn plenty on our weekly training days. But most of the learning is being done by the handlers, which is important IMO.

Agreed, I think the training days I've been to have been much more beneficial for me than the dog. With that, in my situation, I'm not going to a training day during hunting season.
carramrod
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Next

Return to General Discussion