Does thes strike you as odd?

General Sporting Dog Discussion

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Re: Does thes strike you as odd?

Postby ryanr » Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:39 pm

Excellent points AG. I happen to get a lot of enjoyment (and put in a lot of work helping others) at my chapter's training days. We always have fun but we're also serious about training and helping bring out the best in our dogs. I find NAVHDA very beneficial but if people that show up to a training weekend once or twice a month think the purpose is to train there dog they've got a bit of the wrong idea. Training days are really for teaching the trainer how to train their dog. Most of that training has to take place outside of chapter training weekends. Those weekends are for getting an evaluation of where you and your dog are at and what you need to do to move forward. It doesn't take long to figure out who's serious about learning how to train and who's showing up looking for a quick fix or thinks chapter training weekends are enough to get it done.
ryanr
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby JONOV » Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:10 am

Kiger2 wrote:Average guy. Very good post.

Jonov. You would be surprised how easy it would be to get your dog to fail on marked birds. I could easily show you your dog is useless by your definition.
If we had a training day together I could show the holes in your dogs marking and how to fill them. Your young dog did a nice job, but don't assume he's not going to fail.

Your hunting scenario examples do not require a different skill set. Dog needs to be steady as the ducks come in , just as steady as when they are in their blind in the field. I don't need to have a leash or grab a color. I have the e collar to correct infractions. But before we go hunt, we have worked on these scenarios. So when we first start hunting the dog, the dogs learning curve in whatever blind they are in is not nearly as steep. If you are having to use a leash, you have not done enough preparation.

I also want to point out that sometimes because of life, we don't have the time we need to get the dog really prepared. I get that. If thats the case then by all means use whatever tool you need to get the job done, just be honest about how prepared the dog is.

They don’t require a different skill set anymore than a YMCA Rec league basketball game requires a different skill set than the NBA. Same skill set, different level of development. I could gladly take my dog on some duck hunts, and be confident of him sitting quietly in the blind and staying in a lay. I don’t know that I’d trust his steadiness in the video you shared. That would require further development of the same skill set.
JONOV
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby 3drahthaars » Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:47 pm

Sorry things got confrontational..

But, the opening rant was that of people holding a training day on an opening day of hunting...

Some good discussion...

Regards,

3ds
3drahthaars
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Constructeur » Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:42 pm

JONOV wrote:
Kiger2 wrote: I don’t know that I’d trust his steadiness in the video you shared.

Heck, I can barely remain steady when there are that many Cacklers working the decoys! 8)

mgrucker wrote:What I'm pointing out is that I'm seeing some elitist (probably not right word, I don't know what else to call it) attitude that seems out of touch with regular people. Probably 80% of my NAVHDA chapter doesn't meet some of the made up standards that are posted here and I don't think any less of them. They are doing something they enjoy and their dogs enjoy the work they do with them. You can think I'm just whining.
[/quote]

Some of us here have very high expectations of most things in life, and this sport/hobby is no different. It shouldn't bother you that we work hard towards those goals, even if they do not align with your expectations. When I first started I faced some serious set backs because of a few people placing their internal need to help, over me getting the real help I needed. So selfish of them! I lost time because of that, was un necessarily confused, and those folks had no business giving advice when after the fact it was plainly obvious they were speaking out of turn. Never again though! So, hopefully that gives you some context for at least my opinion and why I don't care what Mr. or Mrs. average think or do.
Constructeur
Master Poster
Master Poster

Previous

Return to General Discussion