Day 2 and my first limit!

General Sporting Dog Discussion

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Day 2 and my first limit!

Postby SMAbby » Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:33 am

Ended up going back with my best friend on Wednesday. No sooner did we pull in, than 3 different trucks pulled up to ask if we were hunting the flooded corn. :lol:
This time we brought a sled for 2 reasons. 1. to keep dogs out of the mud and water 2. just like any girls, we cant just take the basics! :lol:
Denise didnt bring her shorthairs because a friend of mine predicted that we would have an inch of ice to break through. SHe was going on a 2 day quail hunt and didnt need any injuries.
The legend, Max, was up first for the morning hunt. I just figured he, with his crazy love of water, would withstand the morning temps and cold water better than Baja would. Still we took precautions. He had a vest on, a slled to get in, and several blankets and coats to cover him if needed. Over kill? I dont know, because I have not done this to this degree with my dogs before. I do know that we do not have an undercoat.

As the sleepy sun started to peak over the horizon, the first shots in the distance confirmed for us that it was go time. Very shortly after the kamakazee ducks started flying! I am not kidding, at some points we could have netted these bad boys! I was able to drop 2 deal right away. Max retrieved 1 in short order, but I am not such a good lab and didnt get a good mark in the corn field. SO I took max for a stroll. We looked for about 10 minutes and ducks were still buzzing, so we suspended our search for a later time.

An hour in and we has already seen more ducks in an hour than either of us had seen all the times we went to hunt them!
I turned to my left and another low flying flock approached. Denise got a little excited and I heard 2 shots ring out well before they were in range. Just like I did on Monday, she was sheepish and gave me a " Sorry, couldnt help it". I just laughed because I knew that between her and I, it was probably going to happen again.

I have to say that you know you have a good friend when they let you blow you brand new duck call all day long without a complaint! :lol: :?
I went from sounding like a Kazoo in a Shriners parade to sounding like a "Special" kind of duck, with a little bit of "Holy crap that sounded amazing! :lol: :lol:
I did manage to turn several birds and get them to look at the dekes. But I am sure it was more of the ducks thinking "What the hell is that noise?, Oh, there is bob and he is drunk again!" However it went, it turned them.

Now, as before, we werent letting them land in the dekes because we wouldnt have been able to see them. I think one flock may have landed, but we never seen them get back up. So not sure what that was about.

There were plenty of follies going on too. At one point I told Denis that there was a flock coming in on my left. SHe announced that she had a flock coming in aswell, but never told me where. Mine were kinda high still when I heard a shot ring out! I yelled "No No No, they are to high" and I turned to my left to see she was shooting at a flock that was 15 yards away and moving fast. :lol: :lol: After that, we worked on our communication skills. We also learned to not get so fixated on 1 bird or 1 flock because when you do this, always another sneaks in.

We had another flock come in around 11 ish. I was bale to drop a duck and Max was quick with the retrieve. I had no idea what kinda of duck this was, and niether did 3 other duck hunters I asked. So, I am convinced that I shot the last of some exotic species that is now extinct.....I think it was a pin tail hen, but she looked diff. from the ones earlier in the week.....Who knows.

After that flock came in, I decided to switch dogs. While I was doing this Denise went for a walk to see if she could kick anything up that might be feeding in the corn.
I got Max back to the truck, dried him off good with a towel and put on his sweater(Laugh all you want, whatever keeps the dogs working, I will do.) and fed him a can of dogfood mixed in warm water. I put him in his crate and got Baja out.

Unfortunatly for Baja, it was just the wrong time of day for her....and we missed birds that came in while we were either checking decoys or playing on our phones. She was able to locate a bird I downed but wasnt sure, earlier in the day.

WHile Denise was gone she was able to connect with a snipe! SO she was stoked.

When she came back, we started to l ook for the teal I had tumbled that Max couldnt find. I found the first spot of blood on the floor of the corn. A bit further up, Denise found some spots of blood high on the corn leaves. A minute later she said "its right at your feet!" :multi:
WHo needs a dog when you have the Indian like tracking skills of Denise!

So at this point I have 3 teal and 1 whatchamacallit. Denise decided to again separate from me and go to the end where we had seen birds dumping in. While she was over there I heard her shoot and turned just in time to see a bird fold. I gave out a whoop that shook the corn stalks! I was so happy she got a duck! This is what I wanted to share with her. Unfortunately, towards the end I heard her shoot again and I could tell it was a double barrel shot. A little bit later I heard it again. Shoot, I knew she was having trouble with the over under. SO for the rest of the hunt, she just used 1 barrel.

I switched Baja out with Max. Dried her off, put her sweater on and fed her some warm grub for her belly. Max was dry, warm and ready to go...until I put his cold wet vest on him! :lol: But he is a beast and shook it off and was ready to go.

I was able to connect with a hen and a drake mallard before the day ended. It was my first green head and it was awesome!

I get home and my hubby tells me we bout a boat........He ended up surprising me with a 1860 Gatortail boat with a 37 hp gator motor! Now, I only hope I can handle it......

This duck hunting rocks.

What happens when you ask Baja to smile

Denise with her snipe and me with a couple ducks early on.

Baja showing the true versatility of the KLM

This happened EVERYTIME we took our concentration off the ducks

Denise and I

The legend..:-)
Last edited by SMAbby on Sat Nov 04, 2017 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
VC Max vom Schutzenknapp VJP 75, HZP190, VGP 303 PI 4H Nose, NA 112, UT 204 Invite 196
Baja vom Wamsbach VJP 64, HZP 169, NA 112
Anka vom Loofkamp VJP 66, HZP 139,HZP 172, NA 112
Krystal Creeks Untamed Spirit ( Abby) NA 93 Prize III UT 200 Prize II
SMAbby
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Re: Day 2 and my first limit!

Postby JONOV » Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:02 pm

SMAbby wrote:Ended up going back with my best friend on Wednesday. No sooner did we pull in, than 3 different trucks pulled up to ask if we were hunting the flooded corn. :lol:
This time we brought a sled for 2 reasons. 1. to keep dogs out of the mud and water 2. just like any girls, we cant just take the basics! :lol:
Denise didnt bring her shorthairs because a friend of mine predicted that we would have an inch of ice to break through. SHe was going on a 2 day quail hunt and didnt need any injuries.
The legend, Max, was up first for the morning hunt. I just figured he, with his crazy love of water, would withstand the morning temps and cold water better than Baja would. Still we took precautions. He had a vest on, a slled to get in, and several blankets and coats to cover him if needed. Over kill? I dont know, because I have not done this to this degree with my dogs before. I do know that we do not have an undercoat.

Awesome! Curious, how do they do in the cold?
JONOV
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby SMAbby » Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:19 pm

JONOV wrote:
SMAbby wrote:Ended up going back with my best friend on Wednesday. No sooner did we pull in, than 3 different trucks pulled up to ask if we were hunting the flooded corn. :lol:

Honestly, I am not sure how much colder I would hunt them without a heater. Max was shivering, but at the same time he was panting. Maybe some one more experienced with this could explain this. I am guessing he was cold and excited. But how do you tell when they are on the verge of hypothermia. I have no idea how this still hunting in the cold with dogs works. We are pheasant hunters and the dogs are always on the move and thus keeping.
VC Max vom Schutzenknapp VJP 75, HZP190, VGP 303 PI 4H Nose, NA 112, UT 204 Invite 196
SMAbby
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby JONOV » Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:31 pm

SMAbby wrote:
JONOV wrote:

Honestly, I am not sure how much colder I would hunt them without a heater. Max was shivering, but at the same time he was panting. Maybe some one more experienced with this could explain this. I am guessing he was cold and excited. But how do you tell when they are on the verge of hypothermia. I have no idea how this still hunting in the cold with dogs works. We are pheasant hunters and the dogs are always on the move and thus keeping.

Maybe MissiKiwi can weigh on what to look out for. I seem to remember reading you need to watch out for when they stop panting and breathe through their nose only but that could be like a lot of crap you hear passed down and mean nothing.

My dog will shiver on a temperate day at the beach if the sun goes in so I don’t think shivering in and of itself is very telling. It’s made more ambiguous by the fact that some dogs chatter and shiver in excitement...I know a lab that will break ice but shivers and chatters on a 70 degree opening morning hunt, just amped up...
Last edited by JONOV on Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JONOV
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:34 pm

How exciting and fun for You!

To take advantage of the full spectrum of Waterfowling opportunities requires a bunch of boats. The Jon boat with surface drive motor you are considering is good choice for a lake or a small river. For a small marsh or flooded corn I urge you to consider a layout boat which allow you to hide in plain sight where public area wary waterfowl are more comfortable working into a decoy spread. Layout boats are alot cheaper to own and operate and more effective for smaller shallower water.

This photos is my Four Rivers Boat and dog Jack, on a public area late season Canada Goose hunt. I have pulled the boat out from the corn and was picking up decoys when I took the photo. The layout boat would allow you hunt at the edge of the corn and let the ducks work all the way down to your decoy spread. Then you sit up and shoot. My boats are setup with a pit behind for the dog. I have a plastic platform in the pit so the water drains below the dog and the dog can curl up to get out of the wind, see and mark well, and is behind the gunner so ears are saved, safety assured. Just giving you some options to consider.

AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby blue04 » Sat Nov 04, 2017 7:09 pm

AverageGuy wrote: I urge you to consider a layout boat

I use a Kayak for this type of hunting. It's probably not as comfortable as a layout boat, but it's a lot more versatile if you also hunt rivers.
blue04
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:15 pm

I have two kayaks as well. The layout boats are far more stable, lower profile, and have ALOT more room/capacity for gear and dog. And more room for gear is a premium when waterfowling. I run 6.5 hp long tail motors on my Four Rivers and MoMarsh layout boats which gets me farther faster and cannot be duplicated with a kayak. And yea, no comparison in the comfort of hunting in the layout boat reclining against a MoMarsh reclining pad than is possible in a kayak.

Anywhere there is a mud, gravel or concrete boat launch into the Marsh a layout boat is head and shoulders over a kayak. I use a kayak in places where launching the layout boats is impossible and crossing water too deep to wade is necessary to get to a good spot to hunt.

Layout boats are deadly specialized waterfowl hunting equipment. If I want to fish I take a kayak.

As I said in the first sentence Waterfowling requires a bunch of boats if a person wants to pursue it all.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Constructeur » Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:38 pm

Looks like you are having fun. Thanks for sharing 8)
Constructeur
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby SMAbby » Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:26 am

I just dont think I am mobile enough for a layout boat. Mobile in the sense of getting up and down or in and out. I didnt do well in the kayak this summer as I dumped myself trying to get out. Friends want me to go field hunt with them and I have my sons lay out. The issue would be with my back and quickly rising to shoot.
I can walk just about all day long as long as I stay upright! :lol: :lol:
SMAbby
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby blue04 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:20 am

SMAbby wrote: I didnt do well in the kayak this summer as I dumped myself trying to get out.

I'm not sure which type of kayak you were in, but you might be surprised how stable some models can be. I have one similar to this (in a more hunting friendly color): https://www.wildernesssystems.com/us/products/radar-115

I intentionally bought mine with stability in mind, and I think I even told the salesperson "I want something that's hard to flip". I have stood up in mine lots of times while fishing, I'm not saying you can't dump my kayak, but I think you'd have to be really trying to do it. It's quite a bit wider than a standard kayak, and the hull design makes it very hard to flip.

Also, this style of kayak has a lot more capacity for hauling gear. Mine has a 500 lb weight capacity. A standard kayak is probably closer to 250.

Pay no attention to the MSRP on the site I linked. I paid less than half of that for mine (it was new).

The downside to this style of kayak is weight. It weighs 80 lbs, whereas a traditional sit-in style kayak might weigh only 30 or 40 pounds. So you really need two people or a kayak cart to move it around (although I've moved it alone many times).
blue04
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Return to General Discussion