SCORE!!! :-)

General Sporting Dog Discussion

Moderator: Moderator Pack

SCORE!!! :-)

Postby SMAbby » Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:29 am

So, I finally got a chance to go duck hunting with someone with a clue! It was fricken amazing! I am betting we saw well over 200 ducks. Did we get them all close, nope, but I was happy seeing something. :lol:
We met early and headed to a flooded corn field just outside of the marsh. It was about 30 degrees with 10-15 mph winds and higher gusts. We had to do a lot of walking because he hadnt had a chance to scout it this year. The location we found was flooded corn with small patches of dry land....that wasnt dry. So the dogs either had to sit in water or wet mud. I was not excited about this. I was thinking this isnt how you get a young dog excited about ducks. So, while we are walking around, ducks are buzzing by us! It wasnt til just light that we were set up and waiting for the birds.
I had brought Max and Anka. It was my hope to get Anka amped up about duck hunting so she was first up along with Ivy, a pup from my "A" litter.

The first flock of mallards that came in, im thinking we got a little bit excited and raised up to soon. Eddy was kinda mad because he knew better and was sure they would have come even closer. But we were 5 deep in the corn rows so he didnt want them to land.

Next flock that came flew right over my head and I lost control and shot at them ......When I was done I looked over at Eddy and he just shook his head. I felt like a little school girl and I looked down at my feet and mumbled "Sorry, I couldnt help it" :lol: :twisted:

Next flock came in and things went perfect, I was able to drop a bird and Anka was on the mark. After waiting a bit I went out and helped her. She is still a young dog and has a ton to learn. But she got it done with a nice ret. After awhile, 3 hours to long, I decided to take Anka back to the truck to get her warm and switch up with Max. Eddy did the same with Ivy.

We had several singles and doubles flying around. We saw ducks way high and had flocks of teal buzz us low and fast.

At one point Eddy took Max for a walk around to look for calmer water. I got on my phone checking in on a friend that was pheasant hunting. About that time a flock of about 20-30 teal started to circle me! I freaked! Dropped the phone in the mud and bent down and waited for them to circle again. When they did, and I guessed the were close enough...without my glasses and no depth perception in the air yet, I unloaded and missed every duck I shot at. :(

Eddy got back just in time for another big flock of teal, he skillfully worked them in and this time I waited for him to tell me to rise and shoot. We were both able to drop one each. One was a pretty drake. The girl in me was totally thinking these things are WAY to cute to shoot. The feet were tiny and adorable! :lol: But ill shoot them all day long.

Next flock came in and again, Eddy and I each dropped a bird. This time it was pretty exciting because as Max brought us the duck we could see that they were pin tails! Nice!!

I was able to drop 1 more teal and Eddy, 2 more. We ended up calling it a day around 2pm and I was whooped!

I am for sure freakin hooked, I even bought a duck call on the way home. Now I need to get my husband to sell his fishing boat and get a mudboat! :twisted: :twisted:

I for sure think I am doing something wrong. I was cleaning the house and doing laundry and blowing the call. I went into the bed room to find one of my dogs huddled up on the bed shaking. Pretty sure it was me because she was fine with the call when Eddy was doing it. :lol: :lol:

Next adventure will be when my buddy, Denise, comes tomorrow and we try to replicate yesterdays fun. I will be bringing old lawn chairs for the dogs this time. It should be interesting cuz neither one of us can blow a call. We will have to rely on the decoys and spinners.

Hope you enjoy the pictures.

Anka checking out her first decoy spread.

Ivy and Anka waiting for action

Anka bringing me her first wild biird

Trying to keep Anka warm after her Ret. and sitting in mud.Those eyes! :lol:

Eddy with the legend, Max :lol:

Me and my pin tail

Eddy and I with our pin tails

Days end
Last edited by SMAbby on Sat Nov 04, 2017 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
VC Max vom Schutzenknapp VJP 75, HZP190, VGP 303 PI 4H Nose, NA 112, UT 204 Invite 196
Baja vom Wamsbach VJP 64, HZP 169, NA 112
Anka vom Loofkamp VJP 66, HZP 139,HZP 172, NA 112
Krystal Creeks Untamed Spirit ( Abby) NA 93 Prize III UT 200 Prize II
SMAbby
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Re: SCORE!!! :-)

Postby Willie T » Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:37 pm

Looks like a new beginning. Don't forget how Eddie introduced you to how it's done and don't break the chain. When you become as adept as him pass it on to someone new.
Willie
Willie T
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:06 pm

Now you are hooked! Be forewarned the need for gear when hunting waterfowl is a bottomless pit :D MoMarsh platform blind for your dog is item one.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby SMAbby » Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:25 pm

I bought the Buck somebody Double nasty II I like it, but scared the dogs. :lol: Neighbors keep looking for some animal trapped in a trap or something.

Looked at a gatortail boat and motor 18 ft. Thinking hard.
VC Max vom Schutzenknapp VJP 75, HZP190, VGP 303 PI 4H Nose, NA 112, UT 204 Invite 196
SMAbby
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby JONOV » Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:35 pm

Nice!!!

Flooded corn, I am jealous. It’s great when it all comes together!
JONOV
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby SMAbby » Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:03 pm

Willie T wrote:Looks like a new beginning. Don't forget how Eddie introduced you to how it's done and don't break the chain. When you become as adept as him pass it on to someone new.
Willie

No problem with that sir, anyone can hunt with me anytime. That is how I got going.
SMAbby
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby RowdyGSP » Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:51 pm

If that didn't get you hooked I don't know what will. Having a good shoot in a flooded cornfield with some nice puddle ducks. Nicely done! Supposed to be a winter storm warning this weekend with lows in the single digits... So we'll be sitting in a duck blind on the Big River!
"You have to be smarter than the dog to train it."
"A working dog is a happy dog."
"Semper Fi" HQ/11th
"Chukar: The first time you hunt them it's for sport. After that it's revenge."
RowdyGSP
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby ryanr » Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:21 pm

Awesome, Mary. Congrats.
ryanr
Champion Poster