VGP real world use

General Sporting Dog Discussion

Moderator: Moderator Pack

VGP real world use

Postby SMAbby » Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:55 pm

Took Max,VGP I, and Baja no vgp, but ready, out to try and jump ponds. Why not, its only blowing 40 to 50 out, We were more likely to have a tree fall on us than us connect with a duck! :lol:
The first 3 or 4 places we hit had nothing on em. Not even a feather. The next place I really wanted to try because access is difficult and you have to walk a mile or better to get to it.Problem arose when the neighbors GSD started to bark as we parked. It look as though it had a fence collar on. SO Jim quickly unloaded the hounds and I ushered them to the bike trail, while Jim kept watch and got our guns. BTW, we dont load on the bike trail.
So I am pushing Max and Baja on and they are minding their own business when this GSD came flying up to them from behind. Jim was a little panicked, I think he wa expecting a dog fight. I wasn't to worried about it. As the shep approached my dogs they both swung around and got after the shepherd! The shep started to yap out of fear and I called the dogs off and back to heel.

Jim decided this isnt going to work as the dog continued to follow us down the trail and pester our dogs.So this place could have had the mother load of ducks on it, but because people cant control their animals, we will never know.

Next place was a bust, but we continued around towards the rive. I knew of some pot holes there. Half way around, Jim leaves me to go get the t ruck and meet me in the next stretch of public.

So, I would ease along the trail. When I came to a potential spot to jump a duck, I would put both Max and Baja in a hard down and stalk through the woods.Now, me stalking probably resembles a small herd of elephants rather than a mouse. But we kept on. I would check the bank, and then give the dogs the release and the dogs would come running! I think they were having a good time. At one point in the hunt, when Jim was with us, I had but the dogs in a down and began to creep to the ends of the banks. Instantly, I hear laughter coming from Jim. I turn around and Baja broke her down and was "Creeping" right behind me step for step. She was trying to be slick! :lol:

Dogs on a down waiting. Pretty slick seeing as my dogs are white. I think they camo well.

Anyway, not long after Jim left us, I had downed the dogs again and began to creep up on this tiny pothole. As soon as I got there 3 mallards busted out of there! I was able to drop one of the bird and Baja chased her down for me.Nothing spectacular, other than it was cool how I used the dogs with my VGP training. 8)

Baja

Jim ended up connecting with a little blue wing that he had to shag out of the water himself. Dogs go with me. When ever he tries to take them it gets FUBARed pretty easily,

So we ended up with 2 ducks, 4 hours of walking and a good time making memories with the hubby.
VC Max vom Schutzenknapp VJP 75, HZP190, VGP 303 PI 4H Nose, NA 112, UT 204 Invite 196
Baja vom Wamsbach VJP 64, HZP 169, NA 112
Anka vom Loofkamp VJP 66, HZP 139,HZP 172, NA 112
Krystal Creeks Untamed Spirit ( Abby) NA 93 Prize III UT 200 Prize II
SMAbby
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Re: VGP real world use

Postby ryanr » Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:11 pm

Sounds like a pretty cool day, other than the damn GSD. Too bad you didn't get a photo of Baja creeping along.
ryanr
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Re: VGP real world use

Postby SMAbby » Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:05 pm

ryanr wrote:Sounds like a pretty cool day, other than the damn GSD. Too bad you didn't get a photo of Baja creeping along.

The GSD I wanted to take home. She was a beauty. I wish people would keep better care of their animals. I shouldnt say that she was very healthy and happy,just loose.

Baja is something else. As Max ages she is stepping up. Not sure what Max's issue is, but again he missed the scent trail for this mallard. Might need to take him in and see if his anoplasmosis is kicking in again.

Baja was trained through HZP only. The rest she has picked up along the way watching the older dogs. I was working her for UT this summer, but when she brought me a frog to hand......I figured I wouldnt have time to fix it while working with Anka.

So anyway, this was Bajas first time playing the stalking game. She seemed to really enjoy it and caught on quickly. It wasnt until she got the duck in her mouth that she got a little bit antsy. Cant blame her.
VC Max vom Schutzenknapp VJP 75, HZP190, VGP 303 PI 4H Nose, NA 112, UT 204 Invite 196
Baja vom Wamsbach VJP 64, HZP 169, NA 112
Anka vom Loofkamp VJP 66, HZP 139,HZP 172, NA 112
Krystal Creeks Untamed Spirit ( Abby) NA 93 Prize III UT 200 Prize II
SMAbby
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Return to General Discussion