Tracking collar

General Sporting Dog Discussion

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Tracking collar

Postby Talking point » Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:09 pm

I am looking for advise on tracking collar. Simple to use. Don't need or want training capabilities. Alert for when dog is on point.
Just wondering that you use and how you like it.
Talking point
Pup
Pup

Re: Tracking collar

Postby mtlhdr » Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:11 pm

Astro 320 with DC40 collar. Love it, won't hunt without it. They don't make it anymore (replaced with the 430) but if you poke around the the dog forums enough you can usually find used. The newer model has some additional capabilities but the only one that would make me consider an upgrade is the faster update rate (2.5s vs 5s). Occasionally my dog is standing on point for awhile before the GPS notifies me.
mtlhdr
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby JONOV » Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:18 pm

Talking point wrote:I am looking for advise on tracking collar. Simple to use. Don't need or want training capabilities. Alert for when dog is on point.
Just wondering that you use and how you like it.

I used the Dogtra Pathfinder this fall. I mostly wanted to have a tracking collar to eliminate any possibility that I would have to call my wife and tell her "I can't find the dog." Not that he ranges that far or runs away, mostly I just really didn't want to leave anything to chance. Its about as simple as any iphone app that you use. The "hardest" part is pairing everything, which isn't all that hard once you figure it out and isn't an issue once your in the field.

I know it can alert for point but I never used that feature. It has shocking capabilities but its not useful for training, but it is useful if the dog is trying to dig out a badger hole or chases a deer.
JONOV
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:11 pm

I use a Garmin Alpha when hunting. Not a fan of the touchscreen but get along ok with it. One transmitter on me and one collar on the dog is why I go this route. Ecollar functions are not adequate for training but are fine when hunting.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby ForestDump » Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:26 am

That Pathfinder or Pathfinder TRX is very hard to beat for the price.
ForestDump
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby Willie T » Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:19 am

I have the Astro 430. I like it.
Willie T
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby modocgsp » Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:15 am

I have the Garmin Alpha. I've used it for 2 seasons now and really like it. I believe it is about $100 to $200 more than the Astro. I'm not sure about the newer models, but at the time the Astro didn't have the preloaded maps. That was my main reason for choosing the Alpha over the Astro. My only complaint is that it is definitely smarter than I am.
modocgsp
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby SMAbby » Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:07 am

Astro 430. The Alpha, imo, is to complicated. With the Astro all I have to do is look at the screen and I know what is going on. I run a seperate ecollar and you can actually slide the ecollar onto the astro collar so your dog doesnt have to much bling.

But if you go path finder, I am a dogtra rep and can help you out.
VC Max vom Schutzenknapp VJP 75, HZP190, VGP 303 PI 4H Nose, NA 112, UT 204 Invite 196
Baja vom Wamsbach VJP 64, HZP 169, NA 112
Anka vom Loofkamp VJP 66, HZP 139,HZP 172, NA 112
Krystal Creeks Untamed Spirit ( Abby) NA 93 Prize III UT 200 Prize II
SMAbby
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby K Locke » Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:27 pm

I also have the Astro 430. It is cheap insurance. I wish I was smart enough to download the maps. One feature I’d like to see is a visible screen at night.
K Locke
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby Talking point » Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:02 am

I go hunting to get away from all the modern "convenience". Do the same in the summer with a canoe trip in the Boundary Waters. This year in ND we battled low bird numbers and strong wind, and had the best luck in cattail or heavy cover. Just hate the thought of looking at a screen to watch the dog, but looks like an astro will be along next year. Thanks
Talking point
Pup
Pup

Postby Talking point » Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:23 am

Anyone have experience with sportdog tek or tek 2.0
Talking point
Pup
Pup

Postby JONOV » Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:50 am

Talking point wrote:Anyone have experience with sportdog tek or tek 2.0

I borrowed one a year ago for a hunting trip. My wife insisted since I was flying a 4.5 month old puppy on a hunting trip (maybe I was nuts doing that, whatever.)

I actually used it to track my dog to make sure he got on the plane and made the connection.

It did work to help me track him from under the airport, onto the cart, and onto the plane.

At my connecting flight, I boarded and he still wasn't on the plane. I used it to show the flight attendant. The Pilot was nice enough to go down to the tarmac (it was a small jet) and confirm that he made it! American Airlines always has been good to me.
JONOV
Master Poster
Master Poster

Return to General Discussion