Duck hunting is tough.

General Sporting Dog Discussion

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Re: Duck hunting is tough.

Postby SMAbby » Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:26 pm

Ha HA HA, I went to Big Marsh last night. It was about an hour drive and 20 minute walk to set up. Not knowing the lay of the land, I ended up probably doing a no no. On the right side of the dike were some guys set up, I could see the robo duck and hear their voiced. I kept walking but soon, hit the refuge sign. Not wanting to set up close to that and having a duck sail in there, I opted to hunt the left side of the dike kinda across (to my left) of the guys. I felt funky about it, but since I didnt have decoys I really didnt think I would influence their hunt at all. I dont sky bust. They have to be close for me to even try a shot( bad depth perception). So I was ok with it.

I sat there for awhile and saw a couple of flocks, I would listen as they would call the ducks and they would either flare or get shot. It was kinda cool to watch. I could tell when their dog (a lab) was searching for the fallen duck or had an instant retrieve and the excited yells of "GoodGirl" would ring out through out the marsh.

Max and I saw some ducks. In fact, we had 3 to 4 of these tiny little wierd looking ducks swimming around us. Max was quiet, but you could use his quivering as a back message. I ended up calling someone to find out what the heck they were. He said they are called Devil divers? A no no bird.
We sat for a good hour and a half and at some points I would lay down and watch the clouds roll by and the buck brush sway over head. I knew as soon as they guys would start calling, I had better get up and get ready just incase.

So about 2 hours in I decided to go at ease, let Max stretch his old legs and I would get a little snack and some water. No sooner did I have a cookie in my hand and watched it head for my mouth, did a single fly over head! It was about 10-15 yards left to right. A shoot I am pretty good at. All I could do was laugh and say "It figures!" :? :shock: :lol:

Max and I continued to sit and listen to the neighbors get shots at birds. I was alright with it because 1. I wasnt affecting their hunt and 2. it was such a beautiful day to be able to be out an enjoying the day.
So we sat.......and sat.....

About 30 minutes before shooting hours ended, Max and I became bombarded by these black birds. I mean hundreds, I felt like I was in the move "The birds". They were pretty neat though. When they would take off in unison, they made a spooky howling noise.
Max and I watched these birds for quit awhile, I took some video of the flights.
It was then that I saw another flight of the black birds heading for us. I was memorized, Max was pissed, and that is when another single u,sing the black birds as a cloak, flew straight for us before pulling up and going over our heads. :shock: :? :lol: That duck was with in 10 feet of us and with my sloth like reflexes, all I could do is watch him zoom by.

So that was it. The guys next door left and like a chicken, I waited for them to leave for fear of confrontation of my chosen location.
It was a pretty good time. I am going to go stalking the woods for awhile tonight and tomorrow am. Then the opener for Iowa opens this weekend.
I cant believe that on Iowa opener, Jim and I will be in WI hunting a preserve! :lol: :lol: :lol:
As it turns out, Max bred a bitch about 3 years ago. So they decided to have a Max/Breeze puppy reunion at Milford Hills in WI. They are paying for everything......so why the heck not! :D
Sunday Iowa hunting and Monday back to the Marsh to hunt ducks in the only warm cloths I have.......Real tree patterned deer cloths! :lol: :lol:

Oh, and if anyone is reading this. I ask that you keep our soldiers and sailors in your thoughts and prayers. My son is on the USS Reagan and they have recently added 2 more carriers to the group. This doesnt happen unless bad stuff is to come. This is mostly the reason for all my activity, these are activities that my son and I shared together and keeps my mind of the dangers that may be heading towards my son and others. :usa :usa :usa
VC Max vom Schutzenknapp VJP 75, HZP190, VGP 303 PI 4H Nose, NA 112, UT 204 Invite 196
Baja vom Wamsbach VJP 64, HZP 169, NA 112
Anka vom Loofkamp VJP 66, HZP 139,HZP 172, NA 112
Krystal Creeks Untamed Spirit ( Abby) NA 93 Prize III UT 200 Prize II
SMAbby
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby LongHammer » Thu Oct 26, 2017 5:04 pm

Duck hunting and elk hunting are quite similar. For the most part they are a miserable experience that drive away lesser folks. You're hot you're cold you're thirsty and you always carry way to much crap along with you. The only time it's really fun is when you recall the shared suffering with the one or two people who are dumb enough to continually go with you.
"The problem with quoting info from the internet is that you can never be sure it is accurate" Abraham Lincoln
LongHammer
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby JONOV » Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:25 am

SMAbby wrote:Ha HA HA, I went to Big Marsh last night. It was about an hour drive and 20 minute walk to set up. Not knowing the lay of the land, I ended up probably doing a no no. On the right side of the dike were some guys set up, I could see the robo duck and hear their voiced. I kept walking but soon, hit the refuge sign. Not wanting to set up close to that and having a duck sail in there, I opted to hunt the left side of the dike kinda across (to my left) of the guys. I felt funky about it, but since I didnt have decoys I really didnt think I would influence their hunt at all. I dont sky bust. They have to be close for me to even try a shot( bad depth perception). So I was ok with it.

I sat there for awhile and saw a couple of flocks, I would listen as they would call the ducks and they would either flare or get shot. It was kinda cool to watch. I could tell when their dog (a lab) was searching for the fallen duck or had an instant retrieve and the excited yells of "GoodGirl" would ring out through out the marsh.

Max and I saw some ducks. In fact, we had 3 to 4 of these tiny little wierd looking ducks swimming around us. Max was quiet, but you could use his quivering as a back message. I ended up calling someone to find out what the heck they were. He said they are called Devil divers? A no no bird.
We sat for a good hour and a half and at some points I would lay down and watch the clouds roll by and the buck brush sway over head. I knew as soon as they guys would start calling, I had better get up and get ready just incase.

So about 2 hours in I decided to go at ease, let Max stretch his old legs and I would get a little snack and some water. No sooner did I have a cookie in my hand and watched it head for my mouth, did a single fly over head! It was about 10-15 yards left to right. A shoot I am pretty good at. All I could do was laugh and say "It figures!" :? :shock: :lol:

Max and I continued to sit and listen to the neighbors get shots at birds. I was alright with it because 1. I wasnt affecting their hunt and 2. it was such a beautiful day to be able to be out an enjoying the day.
So we sat.......and sat.....

About 30 minutes before shooting hours ended, Max and I became bombarded by these black birds. I mean hundreds, I felt like I was in the move "The birds". They were pretty neat though. When they would take off in unison, they made a spooky howling noise.
Max and I watched these birds for quit awhile, I took some video of the flights.
It was then that I saw another flight of the black birds heading for us. I was memorized, Max was pissed, and that is when another single u,sing the black birds as a cloak, flew straight for us before pulling up and going over our heads. :shock: :? :lol: That duck was with in 10 feet of us and with my sloth like reflexes, all I could do is watch him zoom by.

So that was it. The guys next door left and like a chicken, I waited for them to leave for fear of confrontation of my chosen location.
It was a pretty good time. I am going to go stalking the woods for awhile tonight and tomorrow am. Then the opener for Iowa opens this weekend.
I cant believe that on Iowa opener, Jim and I will be in WI hunting a preserve! :lol: :lol: :lol:
As it turns out, Max bred a bitch about 3 years ago. So they decided to have a Max/Breeze puppy reunion at Milford Hills in WI. They are paying for everything......so why the heck not! :D
Sunday Iowa hunting and Monday back to the Marsh to hunt ducks in the only warm cloths I have.......Real tree patterned deer cloths! :lol: :lol:

Oh, and if anyone is reading this. I ask that you keep our soldiers and sailors in your thoughts and prayers. My son is on the USS Reagan and they have recently added 2 more carriers to the group. This doesnt happen unless bad stuff is to come. This is mostly the reason for all my activity, these are activities that my son and I shared together and keeps my mind of the dangers that may be heading towards my son and others. :usa :usa :usa

I'll be sure to say a prayer for your son.

In any case, only once have I seen someone actually confront another person about hunting too close, and the confrontor was out of line and likely goaded on by his clients. We were on our private land, pass shooting geese between some municipal ponds and an ag field. It was a low ceiling, rainy gray morning and we knew we'd see them come in low on their way to feed. The guide came over and yelled at us for "sky busting and ruining the hunt for people doing it right." As if having a trailer full of decoys and enough cash to lease up most of the fields entitled him to the actual geese. I said, "if we were sky busting, how did five geese end up in our bucket?" The dude was a Jeff Foiles wannabe and we were ruining his chance for great footage with clients, but we were within the law, hunting fairly, the only way we could.

There are always people that are upset about other people violating an imaginary boundary of politeness that they've created in their own minds. I know one guy that was mad at "all the rude other hunters" on a public land for walking past his stand when he setup 150 yards from the parking lot off the main trail into the woods. Like WTF do you expect people to do? Bushwack around you because you clicked your hat lamp at them?

I'm sure they would have been nice if you'd talked to them. Think about it this way, if the positions were reversed would you be mad? Probably not. Your a grownup. Not a teenager who doesn't understand that setting up 30 yards away is rude no matter how you cut it.
JONOV
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby SMAbby » Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:42 pm

I would estimate that I was 150 to 200 yards off of where they were hunting.
The birds where coming their way most of the time, except a couple.singles.
I wont sky bust cuz I cant judge distance in the air. If they are not pheasant level, I dont shoot. I was really being causious with the guys next to me.
I know they knew I was there cuz they where talking about who hunts with a white dog. :-)
VC Max vom Schutzenknapp VJP 75, HZP190, VGP 303 PI 4H Nose, NA 112, UT 204 Invite 196
SMAbby
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby JONOV » Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:50 pm

SMAbby wrote:I would estimate that I was 150 to 200 yards off of where they were hunting.
The birds where coming their way most of the time, except a couple.singles.
I wont sky bust cuz I cant judge distance in the air. If they are not pheasant level, I dont shoot. I was really being causious with the guys next to me.
I know they knew I was there cuz they where talking about who hunts with a white dog. :-)

LOL...aren't 40% of labs or thereabouts yellow (white?)
JONOV
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Fri Oct 27, 2017 4:07 pm

Not picking on you but in the interest of learning public area waterfowl hunting - 150 yards is way too close to setup to another party. Waterfowl will routinely make much bigger swings than that while working decoy spreads and another party setting up that close to another can easily adversely affect each others success in working birds.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby SMAbby » Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:52 pm

AverageGuy wrote:Not picking on you but in the interest of learning public area waterfowl hunting - 150 yards is way too close to setup to another party. Waterfowl will routinely make much bigger swings than that while working decoy spreads and another party setting up that close to another can easily adversely affect each others success in working birds.

Like I said, I wasnt to worried about it. I had zero decoys was doing zero calling. We w.ere just tucked under a bush hoping something would land in front of us.
That day, all the ducks were hitting them first. I just got a couple singles I didnt shoot at.

I hunt pheasants. Not a true duck huntet. Just giving me and the pups something to do since I gave up deer hunting.
SMAbby
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Previous

Return to General Discussion