Reaction when pup points?

General Sporting Dog Discussion

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Reaction when pup points?

Postby Sooty42 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:52 am

I have a 9 week old griff pup (I'll try to post a pic, but not sure if I know how). He has flash pointed a few things, but no real solid points yet. I'm hoping his pointing instinct will develop natural as time goes on. FYI, I've read How to Help Gun Dogs Train Themselves, so for now I'm just working on exposure and bring out natural abilities as best I can living in the city.

As handler how do you react when a young pup starts pointing things (I.e. Squirrels, tweety birds, etc.)? Do you praise them? Just let them hold the point as long as they want to? Do you try to simulate hunting and flush the animal?
How do you react if your walking him on a leash through the neighborhood, is the reaction different on leash?

Thanks!
Attachments
IMG_0676.JPG
Sooty42
Started
Started

Re: Reaction when pup points?

Postby orhunter » Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:42 pm

Your pup is much too young to worry about any of that crap/stuff. The most I would do is when the pup pleases you, offer a, good dog, verbal reward. You're just trying to get the pup used to the sound of your voice when you're happy.

I live in an armpit (city) too. Always found the time to drive a half hour+ a couple times a week to take pups out to do their thing. Every opportunity they can get to just be a hunting dog is worth whatever you need to do to provide the experience.
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby ryanr » Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:27 pm

I think soft praise is fine with a young pup but in general I try not to say a word when my dog's are on point. I have a 4.5 month old GWP pup now and she just started scent pointing 2 weekends ago. Interestingly she has been backing my 5yr old Drahthaar's points for weeks, from the very first time she saw him on point. She continues to do so, with some nice intensity too. My breeder has says that's in her breeding and several other pups in her litter do it too. Her mother, mother's sister and grandmother all were natural backers from an early age. She also stops to every flush. Now when my Drahthaar was going he pointed right out of the box, intensely too but once he caught a couple birds in training it was the beginning of a long road to getting him to hold points. Guess what I'm going to do everything I can to avoid for my current pup.

I'm also using the same book as a guide along with what I learned training my Drahthaar and helping train dozens of other pups (I'm new to this but I jumped into NAVHDA & training with both feet.) Exposure, exposure, exposure with soft praise around game. And yes, let the dog point as long as it wants too. Tweet birds, squirrels, whatever it doesn't matter right now. Pup is learning and having fun.

Cute pup too!
ryanr
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby ANick » Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:36 am

I grin a lot when that happens. The pup also becomes used to hearing me chuckle.. but I basically just let it play out for a good many of the early months.

Soak in the puppy days, shape gently, exposure... sure. But enjoy those days of puppy. They are few and fleeting.
ANick
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby 3drahthaars » Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:07 pm

The first several times i just watched and waited it out.

Until i could not hold off and had to shoot.
3drahthaars
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby STait » Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:24 pm

I keep my mouth shut and let the pup work it out on his own. And I don't touch them either, it just distracts them and they can lose intensity.
STait
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:16 am

STait wrote:I keep my mouth shut and let the pup work it out on his own. And I don't touch them either, it just distracts them and they can lose intensity.

x2
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby ForestDump » Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:47 pm

Ignore it and have fun with it. Puppies have a tendency to point things because they're new and interesting.
ForestDump
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby J D Patrick » Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:51 am

heck mine pointed a box turtle when we were out goofing off - well she was goofing off, I was marking a land boundary!
J D Patrick
Started
Started

Return to General Discussion