Clear Coating Decoys

General Sporting Dog Discussion

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Clear Coating Decoys

Postby RowdyGSP » Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:04 am

Has anyone tried clear coating their decoys with something like a flat finish of Krylon to prevent chipping? I've noticed after a season or two of hard used my GHG deeks will get some pretty decent paint chipping. I would think a flat clear coat finish wouldn't give the decoys an unnatural shine, just some added protection.
"You have to be smarter than the dog to train it."
"A working dog is a happy dog."
"Semper Fi" HQ/11th
"Chukar: The first time you hunt them it's for sport. After that it's revenge."
RowdyGSP
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Re: Clear Coating Decoys

Postby orhunter » Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:24 am

Eric... I think what you suggest is worth a try. I wouldn't do more than a couple for a test run. One thing you'll want to do is throw them out on a clear, sunny day and see if you can tell which ones you've treated. If you can see a difference, so can the ducks. One problem you may run into is whatever you spray on them might not be as durable as the regular paint? Another thing you might consider is an air brush and an assortment of paints so you can do simple touch-up as needed. The airbrush will allow you to adjust colors that aren't right from the factory.
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby RowdyGSP » Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:43 am

orhunter wrote:Eric... I think what you suggest is worth a try. I wouldn't do more than a couple for a test run. One thing you'll want to do is throw them out on a clear, sunny day and see if you can tell which ones you've treated. If you can see a difference, so can the ducks. One problem you may run into is whatever you spray on them might not be as durable as the regular paint? Another thing you might consider is an air brush and an assortment of paints so you can do simple touch-up as needed. The airbrush will allow you to adjust colors that aren't right from the factory.

Thanks Harvey, actually yeah the air brush/touch up thing is probably worth investing in. Thanks for the tip. I may try the Krylon on a decoy or two and if that doesn't work, just go buy an airbrush.
"You have to be smarter than the dog to train it."
"A working dog is a happy dog."
"Semper Fi" HQ/11th
"Chukar: The first time you hunt them it's for sport. After that it's revenge."
RowdyGSP
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Sooty42 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:27 am

I tried the Krylon clear coat in the past. It's kinda hard to say how well it worked because I did it to all my decoys, so there was no comparison. With that said, I would definitely lean towards saying its not worth the effort. The paint seemed to scuff and chip relatively fast even with the Krylon on them. They were cheaper decoys too, mostly hot buys, which may have been a factor.

I agree touching up with fresh paint is probably more worth your effort.
Sooty42
Started
Started

Postby Constructeur » Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:02 pm

Krylon matte 1311. Mist it on. Too much will shine.

Also, since I know you run dogs with the appropriate length of hair (short!) don't forget to check out the ducks Unlimited/Mud River 9mm vest.
Constructeur
Master Poster
Master Poster

Return to General Discussion