Anyone ever own or been around a Boerboel?

General Sporting Dog Discussion

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Re: Anyone ever own or been around a Boerboel?

Postby Warrior372 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:47 am

Other options that are not quite as difficult to control - due to size or general temperament - Cane Corso, Bulmastiff, Dogue de Bordeaux, or Neopolitan Mastiff. All need to be socialized a lot as puppies and obviously need training like any large dog would, but they are generally very accepting of strangers they estimate are not a threat. Depending on where you live, you might get some heat for owning a Cane Corso, as they look like Staffordshire Terriers. I know some cities have banned similar looking breeds. Traditional lines of Bullmastiff's were breed as estate guardians and traditional lines of Neopolitan Mastiffs were bred as family guardians. Dogue de Bordeaux was much the same as the other two mastiffs just in France.

Not as large, but possibly more intelligent and just as well regarded as a guard dog would be a Belgian Malinois. They are notorious for their intelligence and accomplishments as police dogs.

There are a lot of options for breeds that are trainable, but also function as guardian dogs. I think a Boerbol is complete overkill for 99.9% of people and as someone who owns a dog that weighs 110lbs, you need to be very diligent with training early on as the dog will easily be able to out muscle you if not well trained.

My father lives in a community where one of his neighbors has a Schutzhund Trained German Shepherd. The dog is like a robot that does anything and everything the owner asks at any time. The dog in at a constant heel one foot to the side of the owner as he walks for exercise everyday. That dog was outrageously expensive, but if safety is your concern I am sure the owner sleeps very well at night and is afraid of almost nothing when the dog is present.
Warrior372
Pup
Pup

Postby JONOV » Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:25 am

I met one at the local dog park. It was a nice enough dog IMO. Nice enough that he could take it to the dog park as an intact male.

There is a Boerbohl on Craigslist here...
https://raleigh.craigslist.org/for/d/ge ... 10652.html

Neat dogs, but there are plenty of more attainable options...and to be honest, I think I would get a pit from the shelter that looked mean and barked.
JONOV
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby hicntry » Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:49 pm

Some of the dogs mentioned should require the owners to go in with the dog and be required to pass a test on their ability to handle the dog with an experienced agitator pushing the dog. The weak link is usually the handler.
Ignorance can be fixed but stupid is forever.
Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible IF you don't know what you are talking about.

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Jim Beam in one hand, Airedale in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
hicntry
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby oldtimer » Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:37 am

If anyone is agitating my boerboel, I want them to bite them.
oldtimer
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby LongHammer » Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:31 am

oldtimer wrote:If anyone is agitating my boerboel, I want them to bite them.

That is crazy. A bite from a dog like that could cost a person an arm or leg. Big dominate dog like that will get agitated with you more than once I asure you. My Corso would let me know when I was pushing him harder then he liked with a big growl over the shoulder at me. What are you going to do then?
"The problem with quoting info from the internet is that you can never be sure it is accurate" Abraham Lincoln
LongHammer
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby LongHammer » Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:31 am

That is crazy. A bite from a dog like that could cost a person an arm or leg. Big dominate dog like that will get agitated with you more than once I asure you. My Corso would let me know when I was pushing him harder then he liked with a big growl over the shoulder at me. What are you going to do then?
"The problem with quoting info from the internet is that you can never be sure it is accurate" Abraham Lincoln
LongHammer
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby carramrod » Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:06 pm

If everyone had that mentality, I'm pretty sure I'd be bit every night going into my yard. Luckily my neighbors have a fence.
carramrod
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby oldtimer » Sun Oct 08, 2017 1:15 am

The only way anyone will be around my dog, is if they have jumped a fence that has "Beware of dog" signs all over it. If people lose a limb, consider it a lesson of life.
oldtimer
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby Misskiwi67 » Sun Oct 08, 2017 1:39 pm

A cane corso would be much more manageable around family and friends, and still capable of significant damage if there was an intruder.

One of my favorite mastiff breeds. Very intelligent and capable dogs.
Vivian II vom Jagdkonig- VJP 71 HZP 191 VGP 262 Prize III
Arabella vom Hoheren Boden- VJP 74 HZP 181/189 VGP 281 Prize I
Misskiwi67
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby SMAbby » Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:41 pm

oldtimer wrote:The only way anyone will be around my dog, is if they have jumped a fence that has "Beware of dog" signs all over it. If people lose a limb, consider it a lesson of life.

When it I was in animal control, a bite at a house with a "Beware of Dog" sign was still sighted. Instead of it being a warning like most people think, it is actually an acknowledgment that you know you have a dog that will bite. You are still liable for injury.

I was involved for a very short time with Schutzhund. I loved the sport. The dogs are trained to a T. I trust those handlers with those dogs. But folks like you that are basically thumping their chests about it, worry the hell out of me.I have seen the results of it, both with the injured people and as I euthanized the dogs. None of it is good news. I think you need a nice Chihuahua and a zanex. Not a dog of the caliber that you are after.
VC Max vom Schutzenknapp VJP 75, HZP190, VGP 303 PI 4H Nose, NA 112, UT 204 Invite 196
Baja vom Wamsbach VJP 64, HZP 169, NA 112
Anka vom Loofkamp VJP 66, HZP 139,HZP 172, NA 112
Krystal Creeks Untamed Spirit ( Abby) NA 93 Prize III UT 200 Prize II
SMAbby
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby oldtimer » Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:06 pm

Listen, I have never had a dog I couldn't control. I will start with obedience and socialization.
I want a weapon. If some person hops my 8 ft. fence in the middle of the country, I want my dog to destroy the intruder. I will not worry about being sued. There are many ways to insulate your finances so that other people cannot take your money.
Furthermore, I have spoken to numerous Boerboel breeders, and they sound like very nice dogs. I think many people on this board lack the knowledge about the breed.
oldtimer
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby JONOV » Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:49 am

In any case, I think you're overcomplicating the problem. Plenty of breeds will do what you want. I would look at a working line shepherd myself. Otherwise a Great Pyrenese.
JONOV
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby oldtimer » Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:48 am

JONOV wrote:In any case, I think you're overcomplicating the problem. Plenty of breeds will do what you want. I would look at a working line shepherd myself. Otherwise a Great Pyrenese.

I agree that shepherds would do what I want, but so will a boerboel. I like their looks and relatively easy needs for exercise. Why does everyone seem to want to steer me in the direction of a dog that is so similar to the one I want?
oldtimer
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby SMAbby » Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:02 pm

JONOV wrote:In any case, I think you're overcomplicating the problem. Plenty of breeds will do what you want. I would look at a working line shepherd myself. Otherwise a Great Pyrenese.

My vote is for a chiuahua............or a pug, those things scare the hell out of me. :lol: :lol:

Yes, he is very much over complicating things.
VC Max vom Schutzenknapp VJP 75, HZP190, VGP 303 PI 4H Nose, NA 112, UT 204 Invite 196
Baja vom Wamsbach VJP 64, HZP 169, NA 112
Anka vom Loofkamp VJP 66, HZP 139,HZP 172, NA 112
Krystal Creeks Untamed Spirit ( Abby) NA 93 Prize III UT 200 Prize II
SMAbby
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Misskiwi67 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:11 pm

oldtimer wrote:Listen, I have never had a dog I couldn't control. I will start with obedience and socialization.
I want a weapon. If some person hops my 8 ft. fence in the middle of the country, I want my dog to destroy the intruder. I will not worry about being sued. There are many ways to insulate your finances so that other people cannot take your money.
Furthermore, I have spoken to numerous Boerboel breeders, and they sound like very nice dogs. I think many people on this board lack the knowledge about the breed.

That doesn't prevent you from going to jail for murder. Your comments here alone could implicate you in "wanting a weapon "
Vivian II vom Jagdkonig- VJP 71 HZP 191 VGP 262 Prize III
Arabella vom Hoheren Boden- VJP 74 HZP 181/189 VGP 281 Prize I
Misskiwi67
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion