Anyone ever own or been around a Boerboel?

General Sporting Dog Discussion

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Anyone ever own or been around a Boerboel?

Postby oldtimer » Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:04 pm

I am very interested in these dogs. Very impressive animals. Obviously for protection, although they can blood track. The other dog I am considering is a Rott. Any personal experiences would be appreciated.
oldtimer
Master Poster
Master Poster

Re: Anyone ever own or been around a Boerboel?

Postby GONEHUNTIN' » Thu Sep 28, 2017 1:31 pm

The Rott is kind of an interesting dog. Back in the 70's a bunch of guys were using them as waterfowl dog's in Washington state. Other than that, I don't know a durn thing about them. Oh yah, I know they like tuna fishing from watching Wicked Tuna.
I just hate seeing birds die of natural causes unless I'm that natural cause.
GONEHUNTIN'
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Urban_Redneck » Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:11 pm

I've known several Rotts, sweet and loyal dogs. Friends who have had a half dozen, tell me that the smaller dogs fare much better healthwise, they're also getting harder to find.
Urban_Redneck
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby TruAblePup » Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:11 pm

I almost got a Boerboel a few years ago.

Did a lot of research and met with a number of owners and a local breeder.

All the ones I met were pretty sharp dogs. More than what most people are prepared to deal with. Highly suspicious of everyone and will scare the piss out of all but the most savvy dog people.

You cannot get a better home protection dog however.

Good luck,

TP
TruAblePup
Started
Started

Postby oldtimer » Sat Sep 30, 2017 11:14 am

Can they be socialized enough to have guests?
oldtimer
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby TruAblePup » Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:43 pm

oldtimer wrote:Can they be socialized enough to have guests?

Sure, it can. But it be more work than if you had a more domesticated breed.

I'll admit, that even-though, I am pretty savvy dog guy, I was scared when the breeders dog came to check me out when I first met him. Like bloody linebacker of a dog came to warn me of I stepped out of line, I was going to be his next lunch.

Beautiful, powerful breed.
TruAblePup
Started
Started

Postby LongHammer » Sun Oct 01, 2017 11:16 pm

Boerboels are hard dogs. Some folkes I four wheel with have one. His favorite game is punch me as hard as you can and I think your just playing with me. Kick me in the face and i will tear off your shoe is also one of his favorites. Growls like a chainsaw. He is one scary SOB.
"The problem with quoting info from the internet is that you can never be sure it is accurate" Abraham Lincoln
LongHammer
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby oldtimer » Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:48 am

They sound like the perfect guard dog.
oldtimer
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby LongHammer » Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:36 pm

There are far more bidable dogs capable of the same task that don't leave a trail of slobber across everything they pass. The 9 cups of food a day and 3 pound land mines are also discouraging.
"The problem with quoting info from the internet is that you can never be sure it is accurate" Abraham Lincoln
LongHammer
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby oldtimer » Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:44 pm

What breeds would you suggest?
Rotts?
oldtimer
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby LongHammer » Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:41 pm

Depends on your needs. Do you want a big scary dog or do you want a dog trained it bite work? Look for local trainers meet them evaluate their dogs and get ready to start writing some big checks.
Your average person can't fight of a 90 pound dog you want a 190 pounder.
LongHammer
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby oldtimer » Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:32 pm

I want a visually intimidating dog that is capable of killing an intruder. I want a dog that barks to alert me, so I can get my gun ready. I do NOT want a dog that is not able to be trained so that he can be dangerous to my friends and family.
The Boerboel breeders seem to think if you are an experienced dog person, and train your dog, they are very fast learners.
oldtimer
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby TruAblePup » Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:50 pm

oldtimer wrote:I want a visually intimidating dog that is capable of killing an intruder. I want a dog that barks to alert me, so I can get my gun ready. I do NOT want a dog that is not able to be trained so that he can be dangerous to my friends and family.
The Boerboel breeders seem to think if you are an experienced dog person, and train your dog, they are very fast learners.

I would agree with that. However, the breeder I met did not want his dogs protection trained. He felt that the popular protection breeds saw it as a game, where as the Boerboel sees it life and death everytime. There is a famous case of a young kid who jumped a fence in South Africa to take a short cut to school. The property owners Boerboels found him and tore him apart. I am sure you can find a breeder who has less sharp stock, but keep in mind what they are capable of.

The breed is simply a bigger responsibility than most domesticated dogs. Other breeds you might consider are a good bandog (Pit x Neapolitan), Neapolitan Mastiff or a Fila Brasileiro. But I prefer the Boerboel, there are more breeders here in North America and they have a fairly good breeding standards. Not like the DD, but decent.
TruAblePup
Started
Started

Postby crackerd » Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:34 pm

Darn, here I was thinking VersatileDogs.com was getting a new Fishing & Religion forum: http://dqhall59.com/barbel.htm :angel: :Fade-color :x-mas:

MG
crackerd
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby oldtimer » Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:03 pm

I would not protection train a Boerboel. From what I have read, protection is in their DNA. I want to train them obedience and respect for authority.
oldtimer
Master Poster
Master Poster

Next

Return to General Discussion