Dogs v. (neigbors' cat)

General Sporting Dog Discussion

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Re: Dogs v. (neigbors' cat)

Postby hicntry » Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:41 am

You are absolutely right Mahlon. I have said that I quit walking my dogs because of other dogs and the owners The clincher was when I was walking both Tucco and Harper and some lady saw them and had to come to see what kind of dogs they were. She opened the door and let 3 chihuhua's(sp) out. My dogs were heeling nicely, on leash, but, it was close to a train wreck. The only saving grace is that my dogs pay little attention to anything less than dominate dogs.

Here is what I see that makes no sense. People today believe themselves to be responsible because they won't even let their dogs go out in their yard for fear something will happen to them. WHY don't they think their neighbors should be concerned about their own pets.
Last edited by hicntry on Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ignorance can be fixed but stupid is forever.
Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible IF you don't know what you are talking about.

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Jim Beam in one hand, Airedale in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
hicntry
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby SMAbby » Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:06 pm

SO, this just happened.
Neighbors cat comes from her yard under the privacy fence and in my side yard. I just HAPPEN to be on the phone and looking out of the window. I see my bitch head for the fence and is midway over and I start screaming. SHe comes back down and into the house.

I go talk to them about it because I dont want problems. They dont even act like they care!! They just look at us with glazed eyes.

I talk to my cop friend in town and no matter what I will be in the wrong and after 3 times they can euthanize my dog.!!
Cats are to fast for me to catch them over here.Need a trail cam or something.
But I have to rearrange my life, by underground fencing, keep her insiide most times,because they let their cats run loose. BS
VC Max vom Schutzenknapp VJP 75, HZP190, VGP 303 PI 4H Nose, NA 112, UT 204 Invite 196
Baja vom Wamsbach VJP 64, HZP 169, NA 112
Anka vom Loofkamp VJP 66, HZP 139,HZP 172, NA 112
Krystal Creeks Untamed Spirit ( Abby) NA 93 Prize III UT 200 Prize II
SMAbby
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby booger » Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:38 pm

So they don't care if their cat dies then??

Just don't let them see you throwing it in the garbage can :mrgreen:
booger
Pup
Pup

Postby SMAbby » Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:56 pm

booger wrote:So they don't care if their cat dies then??

Just don't let them see you throwing it in the garbage can :mrgreen:

Unfortunatly I have done that twice and had one kill in her front yard. The only one I dont feel bad about is the one in my pigeon coop killing my homers.

In reality and in fairness, it isnt that dam cats fault, its the owners. As I age I am getting soft and feel for the cat. Even though I hate the dam things.
VC Max vom Schutzenknapp VJP 75, HZP190, VGP 303 PI 4H Nose, NA 112, UT 204 Invite 196
SMAbby
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby ryanr » Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:13 pm

Mary, shoot, shovel and shut up. And if your dog helps you out the first part's taken care of without the sound of gunshot! :wink:

I'm trying to finish installing an underground fence to help keep my dogs from going overand grabbing my neighbor's wife's way too many chickens & ducks. The wife is nervous and wondering when I'll get it done. However ever since my dog grabbed one of their ducks and brought over to my porch (it lived) if my dog's outside I'm out watching him and he has his e-collar on. I've also stimmed him good when he's approached their yard (except when they've been dumb enough to call his name and say "hi"- yeah these folks can't get out of their own way) and he's responded accordingly. Thing is, their animals have and continue to come onto my property more than my dog has ever been on theirs. I also know that when I'm at work during the week and his wife is home, she let's her pitbull/boxer mix (a sweet dog BTW) out and forgets about it. Same with their potbellied boar (with his 4 inch tusks too). And both animals are always over on my property then. In fact, this week something has been increasingly digging up the ground around my dog kennel. It happens only during the day. I suspected it was the pig (he also eats my bird seed on the ground and when the chestnuts fall too. Well I happened to be home yesterday and I don't think she knew. Guess what I was able to confirm? And the pitbull mix came over for a visit and also left me a "present" on my lawn too. After the invisible fence is in, as soon as I can afford it I'm adding a 5 foot fence around my yard too. That should help stop the boar, their horses and most importantly their dog killer bull mastiff out of my yard too (I keep a gun loaded in the house just in case that bull mastiff ever gets out off leash again.) After that I don't care what my dogs do to anything that gets into my yard. I'll dispose of it and not lose a minute's sleep about it.
ryanr
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby SMAbby » Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:20 pm

ryanr wrote:Mary, shoot, shovel and shut up. And if your dog helps you out the first part's taken care of without the sound of gunshot! :wink:

I'm trying to finish installing an underground fence to help keep my dogs from going overand grabbing my neighbor's wife's way too many chickens & ducks. The wife is nervous and wondering when I'll get it done. However ever since my dog grabbed one of their ducks and brought over to my porch (it lived) if my dog's outside I'm out watching him and he has his e-collar on. I've also stimmed him good when he's approached their yard (except when they've been dumb enough to call his name and say "hi"- yeah these folks can't get out of their own way) and he's responded accordingly. Thing is, their animals have and continue to come onto my property more than my dog has ever been on theirs. I also know that when I'm at work during the week and his wife is home, she let's her pitbull/boxer mix (a sweet dog BTW) out and forgets about it. Same with their potbellied boar (with his 4 inch tusks too). And both animals are always over on my property then. In fact, this week something has been increasingly digging up the ground around my dog kennel. It happens only during the day. I suspected it was the pig (he also eats my bird seed on the ground and when the chestnuts fall too. Well I happened to be home yesterday and I don't think she knew. Guess what I was able to confirm? And the pitbull mix came over for a visit and also left me a "present" on my lawn too. After the invisible fence is in, as soon as I can afford it I'm adding a 5 foot fence around my yard too. That should help stop the boar, their horses and most importantly their dog killer bull mastiff out of my yard too (I keep a gun loaded in the house just in case that bull mastiff ever gets out off leash again.) After that I don't care what my dogs do to anything that gets into my yard. I'll dispose of it and not lose a minute's sleep about it.

Sooo, you can do the boar HN or whatever it is?? Is it sw or something like that. Shut up and shovel in the freezer for winter meat?
SMAbby
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Expert » Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:50 am

It's a training issue. My dog has no interest in anything with fur - a lab. I have seen a squirrel run 3 feet in front of him in the yard and he hardly takes notice. The neighbor cat will come visit our house and I often find them both on the porch ignoring each other wanting to come inside. I broke the fur drive early on with an e-collar when he was on his early bird hunts and would start after a rabbit or deer all it took was a high powered zap. I live in the suburbs and we get a ton of deer in the neighborhood. I walk my dog off leash and have stopped to talk to a neighbor while my dog lays down and waits for me to start walking again and a herd of deer come walking by us 15 yards away. My dog will take a look and show no interest.

I have no problem with cats. What I hate is people that can't control their dog, whether it is constant barking, attacking my dog on walks, or killing other peoples pets. People need to learn how to control their dog or it could be a little kid walking into the yard one day.
I forgot more than most know, I know, it's a curse.
Expert
Started
Started

Postby SMAbby » Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:36 am

Expert wrote:It's a training issue. My dog has no interest in anything with fur - a lab. I have seen a squirrel run 3 feet in front of him in the yard and he hardly takes notice. The neighbor cat will come visit our house and I often find them both on the porch ignoring each other wanting to come inside. I broke the fur drive early on with an e-collar when he was on his early bird hunts and would start after a rabbit or deer all it took was a high powered zap. I live in the suburbs and we get a ton of deer in the neighborhood. I walk my dog off leash and have stopped to talk to a neighbor while my dog lays down and waits for me to start walking again and a herd of deer come walking by us 15 yards away. My dog will take a look and show no interest.

I have no problem with cats. What I hate is people that can't control their dog, whether it is constant barking, attacking my dog on walks, or killing other peoples pets. People need to learn how to control their dog or it could be a little kid walking into the yard one day.

Let me be the first to award you your cookie.Image

While I do agree that it is "Some what" of a training issue, your ignorance of the V-dog breed shines through. Why would I want to break a dog off of fur when we hunt rabbits? I have also not been successful in finding someone to lend me their cat to do a cat breaking session.
I shouldnt have to alter my breeds genetics to counteract the neighbors stupidity. I was able to call her off mid flight over the fence to save the kitty. That is training. But I shouldnt HAVE to police my animals when other animals are clearly in violation of the city regulations.

my property ends about 3 ft behind this cat. That is my fence line and shed. This was taken this morning.
Image Image
SMAbby
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby ForestDump » Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:48 am

Good lord.
ForestDump
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby ryanr » Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:31 am

SMAbby wrote:
Expert wrote:It's a training issue. My dog has no interest in anything with fur - a lab. I have seen a squirrel run 3 feet in front of him in the yard and he hardly takes notice. The neighbor cat will come visit our house and I often find them both on the porch ignoring each other wanting to come inside. I broke the fur drive early on with an e-collar when he was on his early bird hunts and would start after a rabbit or deer all it took was a high powered zap. I live in the suburbs and we get a ton of deer in the neighborhood. I walk my dog off leash and have stopped to talk to a neighbor while my dog lays down and waits for me to start walking again and a herd of deer come walking by us 15 yards away. My dog will take a look and show no interest.

Let me be the first to award you your cookie.Image

While I do agree that it is "Some what" of a training issue, your ignorance of the V-dog breed shines through. Why would I want to break a dog off of fur when we hunt rabbits? I have also not been successful in finding someone to lend me their cat to do a cat breaking session.
I shouldnt have to alter my breeds genetics to counteract the neighbors stupidity. I was able to call her off mid flight over the fence to save the kitty. That is training. But I shouldnt HAVE to police my animals when other animals are clearly in violation of the city regulations.

my property ends about 3 ft behind this cat. That is my fence line and shed. This was taken this morning.
Image Image

+1. We've personally had 4 Labradors and while they aggressively chased squirrels away from our bird feeders- we encouraged that so they grew to do it with real eagerness and aggressiveness- and they chased cats they didn't engage much with them in the way a V-dog typically wants to. There is definitely a large disparity between the level of fur drive the German V-dogs I've been around and what my Labradors showed. I don't necessarily disagree with this "Expert's" statement that it's still training but there's a bit of a different level required for what the V-dogs typically possess. And yes I broke both my DD and previously my Labradors from chasing deer with an e-collar. And I too could and did walk my Labrador off leash and have another animal come by without him breaking. With the exception of deer, it is still much harder to keep my DD off actual fur than it was with any of my Labradors.

I'm actually curious to see how my now 14wk old GWP natural fur drive will compare to my now 5yr old DD's. One difference will be that my GWP pup is getting weekly exposure to my nieces and nephews kittens and my DD never had that.
Last edited by ryanr on Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ryanr
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby hicntry » Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:42 am

What find telling, even though I am not a trainer, is that Expert considers frying the dog every time he looks at fur as training. That's who I want to take a training class from!
Ignorance can be fixed but stupid is forever.
Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible IF you don't know what you are talking about.

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Jim Beam in one hand, Airedale in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
hicntry
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby daeion » Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:59 am

Our SM has never shown an interest in cats really. I mean she'll bark at them but doesn't chase or challenge them, and she ignores squirrels for the most part as well. Rabbits on the other hand she's goes crazy for, she can see one in the front yard and she'll run to the back storm door, push it open, and run to fence line, all while barking her head off.
daeion
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby Expert » Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:04 pm

Your neighbors love their pet cat as much as people here love their pet dogs. No reason to take joy in your dog killing a neighbor's cat. Sure maybe they might cross over your "property line" but right now my neighbors three dogs are barking away and their sound is coming inside my house. I'll take a cat sneaking over my property line over a barking backyard dog driving my nuts any day.
Expert
Started
Started

Postby SMAbby » Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:13 pm

Expert wrote:Your neighbors love their pet cat as much as people here love their pet dogs. No reason to take joy in your dog killing a neighbor's cat. Sure maybe they might cross over your "property line" but right now my neighbors three dogs are barking away and their sound is coming inside my house. I'll take a cat sneaking over my property line over a barking backyard dog driving my nuts any day.

If you have not read this entire post, than keep your comments to yourself,sit back, and let the big kids speak.
Never once did I say I take joy in the killing of the cats. In fact, I expressed my displeasure for it.

Apparently they dont love their cats as much as I love my dogs or they wouldnt be roaming the neighborhood.
SMAbby
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Expert » Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:29 pm

SMAbby wrote:If you have not read this entire post, than keep your comments to yourself,sit back, and let the big kids speak.

Big Bully!
Expert
Started
Started

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion