Dogs v. (neigbors' cat)

General Sporting Dog Discussion

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Re: Dogs v. (neigbors' cat)

Postby Willie T » Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:20 pm

A dog killing a cat has nothing to do with being a V-dog. They are all wired that way. The bottom line to me is you trash break them from chasing what you don't want them to, cats included, and anticipate what will happen if the dog gets the opportunity. Pretty simple stuff for anyone that has owned hunting dogs. I don't want my dog killing the neighborhood cats and don't approve. My old dog cost me the friendship of a really good neighbor. He didn't blame my dog. Rightly, he blamed me, when my old dog killed his grade school daughters cat. Bad deal all the way around. At 15 years old I didn't think her old crippled up a$$ still had the spunk. Poor judgement on my part is my take. I don't like that happened, but now I gotta own it.....Apparently a lot see it differently but my take is: We seek out animals with ultra high prey drive and it's up to us to keep in check when need be.
Willie
Willie T
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:15 pm

If the dog is alone in the yard with no handler present and a stray cat wanders in, odds are everyone's dog will engage with the cat regardless of claims of trash breaking.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Willie T » Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:43 pm

AG, I guess I did a poor job of it but that is the point I was making....
Willie T
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby ForestDump » Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:28 pm

My question is why would you leave an athletic, high prey drive animal alone in a yard. Too many ways for that to end up badly.
ForestDump
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby AverageGuy » Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:57 pm

Yea, I keep my dogs in a locked kennel when I am not available to supervise them.

But I think others choosing to use other methods are entitled to have their animals on their property. If a neighbor chooses to let their cat wander off their property I think they own the consequences of that poor decision.

Similarly a dog owner choosing to keep their dog in fenced backyard may blame the driver when their dog jumps the fence and gets hit by a car, but that does not mean the driver is truly the one at fault...

I live on a remote farm. No one names their cat around here or goes looking for them when they inevitably come up missing. And we sure do not blame our neighbors when a barn cat wanders off our property and gets nabbed by a dog somewhere. I knew I was blessed but this thread sure re-enforces it.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby hicntry » Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:36 pm

Well, can honestly say I do not understand people today. Backyards are always where you afforded your dog some freedom. Now people are afraid of everything.
My yard is set up for dogs. My dogs. Not the neighbors cats. It really looks like people today don't know how to set up a yard for dogs. My god, I have a security door on the front door that was $1500 bucks to make sure Tucco didn't go thru it....and I have never gone to the door and found anyone still on the porch. The BY has no exposed electrical. It is set up for dogs. I really think that all the excuses for not keeping dogs in the BY is because people are just too lazy to do what they have to. Dogs have always been kept in BY's until recently. Now people come up with every excuse not to dog proof their yard. Just to lazy to do it.
Ignorance can be fixed but stupid is forever.
Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible IF you don't know what you are talking about.

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Jim Beam in one hand, Airedale in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
hicntry
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Willie T » Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:43 pm

15 yrs old. Bad bone spurs. Needs daily glucosamine to be mobile. Arthritic to the point of pain meds to be able to get around post cool front. Retired from hunting and just doddles around the yard most of the time. Limps when she moves but is still happy. She showed me a good time for a long time, and appears to be on her last legs. Lives in harmony with my wife's cat. Then she saw my neighbors cat and forgot the bone spurs, arthritis, and wore out joints..... I have a fenced yard and a kennel. Built both the kennel and the fence to keep my dogs in. Pretty common in rural Texas. Old school security system.
Willie T
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby ryanr » Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:06 am

Oh good, you guys are still beating this thing to death. :lol:
ryanr
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby mahlon » Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:10 am

When Constructeur talked about the " the accepted practice of house cats roaming freely ", I think he was spreading fake news. I don't know anyone that accepts this practice except for those that do it. The rest of us find these cats to be a nuisance. The line between feral and domestic cats is blurry. House cats can do a lot of damage when let out all night.

The cats being let loose in my backyard by my neighbor are coming from the city. The stray cats there become a problem and they get rounded up and sent to a shelter. The shelter turns them over to a humanitarian cat rescue group that brings them out here so my neighbor can turn them loose out to lead an idyllic cat life terrorizing the local game and teasing dogs. So when your acceptable practice of letting your cats roam results in an unwanted litter, your kittens end up on my farm. The practice of letting urban cats loose in rural areas needs to be stopped by changes in the law.

I am not a chest thumping passive aggressive DD owner. In fact, I hate the fact that my dogs kill cats because nothing ood can result except for the elimination of the cat. My oldest dog has one eye and face scratches are common in cat fights. He has had his eyelid cut already. His next fight could be his last. Getting sued is also a possibly but around here, having your dog shot is more likely.

So to be a responsible owner of a hunting dog, I put up three foot fence to keep my dogs in the yard. When the first cat that walked by, my dog leaped that fence like it wasn't there. So I put up a six foot unclimbable fence enclosing about four acres. The dogs can't climb it but the cats can come in. The cats can see the dog coming and break for the fence or climb a tree. So far all have escaped although one that climbed a tree stayed there a day and a half. I had to call the neighbor to climb the tree and rescue it. The cats only come in once. My dogs ram that space alone all the time and it works very well. The only thing I did wrong was to put my quail recall pen outside the fence. Cats love quail.

The problem comes when I try to hunt or train on my own property. I think it is impossible to stop a dog-cat encounter with a command. This has nothing to do with training. When a dog jumps a cat in cover, you won't know whats happening until its over. I have been successful in keeping my dogs away from the neighbors property and recall them whenever they head in that direction. i have done this so often that they no longer go looking for cats there.I thought about doing cat aversion training and even told the neighbor I would try it if she provided the cats. She declined.

The only additional thing I can do is quit walking/hunting my dogs on my own farm and that I refuse to do.

I pretty much quit posting on here because I get tired of being ripped by people who like to be passively aggressive on the internet. But I feel strongly that this cat issue is a real problem people should be aware of and it needs to be addressed
mahlon
Started
Started

Postby AverageGuy » Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:57 am

I agree with all you say Mahlon.

Good fences make good neighbors. Keep all your livestock on your own property. Including your cats.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby orhunter » Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:01 am

I noticed a cat in the front yard yesterday, new to me. We have new neighbors, probably theirs. She's a veterinarian I'm told. Haven't met any of them yet, I've been away all summer fishing. My current Griff is a chaser, not a killer although she's been in on some kills, she doesn't have a knack for it. Maybe I need to borrow a good DD?
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby ForestDump » Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:33 pm

mahlon wrote:The problem comes when I try to hunt or train on my own property. I think it is impossible to stop a dog-cat encounter with a command. This has nothing to do with training. When a dog jumps a cat in cover, you won't know whats happening until its over. I have been successful in keeping my dogs away from the neighbors property and recall them whenever they head in that direction. i have done this so often that they no longer go looking for cats there.I thought about doing cat aversion training and even told the neighbor I would try it if she provided the cats. She declined.

The only additional thing I can do is quit walking/hunting my dogs on my own farm and that I refuse to do.

I pretty much quit posting on here because I get tired of being ripped by people who like to be passively aggressive on the internet. But I feel strongly that this cat issue is a real problem people should be aware of and it needs to be addressed

Great post Mahlon now that's a great way to deal with the situation. One thing I'd recommend when dogs jump and chase trash/off game is to trash break with the e collar. Not sure if you train with a holler or not but that may be the way to go.

I haven't been here long and I don't post much but I've noticed this place is a ghost town and most of the topics don't get much of a response EXCEPT for the ones where there's that passive aggressive jabbing back and forth like you mentioned.
ForestDump
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby blueblood » Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:10 pm

JONOV,
My words did come across stronger than initially intended, however, the main point they made I still stand by. My dogs when out are always supervised. Will they kill a cat, yes. Do I anticipate and seek it out? No. My neighbors are great people and friends. We do live in the country and respect each other and our space. I think it is respectful to inform neighbors that dogs will kill cats, and, wont be discouraged from doing so on ones own property. Greater care is taken on responsibility with that known information.

Aside from that life is short and moving on.....
blueblood
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby hicntry » Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:47 pm

Well, dogs are used for more than birds where they are in the handlers control, supposedly. How do you suppose all the handlers of straight up fur dogs supposed to meet these sanctimonious standards that many novices to the hunting world today are expressing in this thread???? My dogs were always out several miles and had tracking collars on. They were broke off of larger live stock. Many times it took a few days to retrieve them. I never had a cats safety even cross my mind. I was worried about them being ledged on some canyon wall...or worse. I guess that is just more than the folks that are afraid to leave their dogs in the back yard can even envision. You folks let me know if I am to "Passive aggressive" and I will quit forcing you to face a bit of reality. No one on this thread has a dog that they can control without a leash if I throw a cat down in front of it.
Ignorance can be fixed but stupid is forever.
Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible IF you don't know what you are talking about.

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Jim Beam in one hand, Airedale in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
hicntry
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby mahlon » Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:31 am

Hincry, i am not sure what a passive aggressive is but I am sure you are not one.

You are wrong about controlling a dog with a leash. Once upon a time I was forced to live in a suburb and every day I walked my Irish Setter on a leash to our training field. We walked by a neighbor that had a chihuahua in the yard running loose. We walked by that dog 50 plus times and he always ran out and yapped at my dog. One day, with his whole family sitting in the yard, he came out and started yapping again and, without breaking stride, my dog reached down and grabbed him by the neck, shook him once, dropped him dead on the street and kept walking. The family went nuts.

I went home and said to my wife that we have to go over and apologize when there was a knock on the door and another neighbor came in and said you must feel terrible about what happened and she prayed with us asking that we not be overly distressed by this small tragedy. She left and the the dogs owner knocked on the door. He apologized for having his dog run loose and said he in no way blamed us and accepted full responsibility.

No this is not off topic. Even even tempered dogs on a leash like an Irish Setter can't be controlled all the time so keep your animals on your own property.
mahlon
Started
Started

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion